Blowing steam and highlights :-)

I took this almost 9 years ago:
DSC_4287.NEF (19.6 MB)

Dedicated to Glenn @ggbutcher and the other railway fans :slight_smile:
The lady and the boy on the first seat behind the driver may look familiar to some.

Attaching a LightZone version:

And one I made with darktable back then (using base curves, of course):

DSC_4287.NEF.xmp (7.8 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

7 Likes

:steam_locomotive:

DT 3.9.0+192

DSC_4287.NEF.xmp (9.3 KB)

1 Like

I fixed those pesky highlights, cropped on the important part of the image:

:laughing:

Very nice little lokey… if only I had room in the garage for a lathe and mill…

3 Likes

blowing.steam.pp3 (24.8 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

EDIT

Tried something different to get the highlights/darks under control while trying to be quick:

Using enfuse to blend 2 versions: One base edit in RT exposed for the highlights, one for the darker parts. Put the blended result back into RawTherapee and did a few minor edits.

The first one is better, but I do think that the second one isn’t at all bad for a 3 minute overall edit.

2 Likes

DSC_4287.pfi (65.3 KB)

1 Like

And here is its brother:

Railway History Park, Budapest
http://www.vasuttortenetipark.hu/

And they have more miniature engines

1 Like

DSC_4287_03.NEF.xmp (19.7 KB)

1 Like

ART tone curves, tone equalizer, +0,5 EV, color propagation

following @Thomas_Do BW example
ART

3 Likes

I went one further than jade_NL!!! I blended 4 exposures derived from Filmulator (+3, +2, +1, and -1) using enfuse - no other changes.

darktable & Gimp.

1 Like

For some reason. mine are coming out a bit warmer. My usual gimp/nufraw with my three exposures plugin, and g’mic local contrast enhancement. The plugin is a quick and dirty approach to merging multiple exposures. In this case, +1.5, +0.5 and +2.5.

Out of interest, I tried g’mic quick tonemapping, but it didn’t do a lot for me.

And although my approach is ‘quick and dirty’ I still seem to spend large amounts of time exploring different sharpening approaches, and (sometimes) my variant of the old ‘advanced tonemapping’ plugin.

My take with RawTherapee Dev and Stuart Sowerby’s Astia Fuji sim.
DSC_4287-1.jpg.out.pp3 (22.6 KB)

1 Like

Was fun to play with the colors. I lost a lot of the “pop” that you guys have when doing so though. I’ll try once more in a bit.

@RUNLEVEL3 can you tell us what you used and post a sidecar file?

RT current release - see if this works (attached). I’m gonna try another edit after walking away and looking w/ fresh eyes - I think I can help the greens look better and add some overall “pop” (sorry if I’m not using proper terms - I’m still trying to grow my editing — currently at the phase of “i suck” - lol ). But hey this is why we do it - for fun and therapy right? :slight_smile:

DSC_4287.NEF.c101f913e701d7501b40fc72323b35d1.pp3 (12.1 KB)

It’s not necessary to preserve every highlight.

Processed with experimental program, 4600K, 2x contrast, 2x saturation.

Also the wonky angle looks good, didn’t see a need for straightening.

thanks for the nice shot to play with. Here’s my version (RT dev):

DSC_4287.jpg.out.pp3 (14,5 KB)

7 Likes

I agree with not recovering every highlight: here, the background is not important, and, if heavily compressed, can look artificial. My primary aim was to recover some of the shadows (the 1st 2 passengers being my wife and my son :-)), and make the rest of the image look realistic.

1 Like

DSC_4287.jpg.xmp (10.5 KB)

DT 3.8

1 Like

Impressive, how the highlights were recovered in your edit!

It’s possible to recover the highlights at such level with darktable?