Blowing steam and highlights :-)

ART tone curves, tone equalizer, +0,5 EV, color propagation

following @Thomas_Do BW example
ART

3 Likes

I went one further than jade_NL!!! I blended 4 exposures derived from Filmulator (+3, +2, +1, and -1) using enfuse - no other changes.

darktable & Gimp.

1 Like

For some reason. mine are coming out a bit warmer. My usual gimp/nufraw with my three exposures plugin, and g’mic local contrast enhancement. The plugin is a quick and dirty approach to merging multiple exposures. In this case, +1.5, +0.5 and +2.5.

Out of interest, I tried g’mic quick tonemapping, but it didn’t do a lot for me.

And although my approach is ‘quick and dirty’ I still seem to spend large amounts of time exploring different sharpening approaches, and (sometimes) my variant of the old ‘advanced tonemapping’ plugin.

My take with RawTherapee Dev and Stuart Sowerby’s Astia Fuji sim.
DSC_4287-1.jpg.out.pp3 (22.6 KB)

1 Like

Was fun to play with the colors. I lost a lot of the “pop” that you guys have when doing so though. I’ll try once more in a bit.

@RUNLEVEL3 can you tell us what you used and post a sidecar file?

RT current release - see if this works (attached). I’m gonna try another edit after walking away and looking w/ fresh eyes - I think I can help the greens look better and add some overall “pop” (sorry if I’m not using proper terms - I’m still trying to grow my editing — currently at the phase of “i suck” - lol ). But hey this is why we do it - for fun and therapy right? :slight_smile:

DSC_4287.NEF.c101f913e701d7501b40fc72323b35d1.pp3 (12.1 KB)

It’s not necessary to preserve every highlight.

Processed with experimental program, 4600K, 2x contrast, 2x saturation.

Also the wonky angle looks good, didn’t see a need for straightening.

thanks for the nice shot to play with. Here’s my version (RT dev):

DSC_4287.jpg.out.pp3 (14,5 KB)

7 Likes

I agree with not recovering every highlight: here, the background is not important, and, if heavily compressed, can look artificial. My primary aim was to recover some of the shadows (the 1st 2 passengers being my wife and my son :-)), and make the rest of the image look realistic.

1 Like

DSC_4287.jpg.xmp (10.5 KB)

DT 3.8

1 Like

Impressive, how the highlights were recovered in your edit!

It’s possible to recover the highlights at such level with darktable?

@7osema unfortunately i dont use Darktable, so i cannot tell you. But i saw good Darktable-edits from @apostel338 and @Thomas_Do in earlier plays. Maybe they can give you more information about highlight-recovery in darktable.

1 Like

Highlight-recovery is not a strength of darktable (yet). You can play with filmic reconstruct and/or try highlight reconstruction in LCh or color mode. I have also used the color reconstruction module with some success. But in this image some parts are massively clipped and the software can only “guess” the color from the surroundings or display the texture in grayscale. If you look carefully you see also some artefacts in the nice RT version of @marter .

But there are some ideas to improve highlight reconstruction in darktable. See for example here and here.

1 Like

Just using librtprocess would give dt all the RawTherapee goodness of its highlight recovery as well as most of its demosaic algorithms. That would also further concentrate the development focus on these two specialized image operations, to the benefit of all…

https://github.com/CarVac/librtprocess

1 Like

Perhaps the NIH syndrome :grinning:

Question: who developed this color propagation function?

librtprocess is relatively recent, and dakrtable was around long before it was a thing.

NICE WORK sir!

1 Like
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
//      Highlight reconstruction
//
//      copyright (c) 2008-2011  Emil Martinec <ejmartin@uchicago.edu>
//      copyright (c) 2019 Ingo Weyrich <heckflosse67@gmx.de>
//
//
// code dated: June 16, 2011
// code dated: July 09, 2019, speedups by Ingo Weyrich <heckflosse67@gmx.de>