BNSF Train through the Columbia River Gorge

Hi!
First post here, this seems like a nice community, and I love the PlayRaw idea!

Here is a recent photo as my first contribution. It was taken at sunrise from the Cape Horn overlook in the Columbia River Gorge. I’ve been struggling with my thoughts on color saturation for this shot, as well as how to treat the headlight on the train. Here is what I have come up with so far.

I currently use ART 1.8.2 to edit.

Raw File: DSCF9471.RAF (47.8 MB)

ART sidecar: DSCF9471-2.jpg.out.arp (19.6 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

12 Likes

Oh, a train! Can’t pass that up…

I’m working low-key images a bit differently of late; for a tone curve, I apply a loggamma curve, then a control point curve molded to suit. Used RT highlight recovery to take the magenta out of the headlight. I added a bit of HSL saturation to separate the colors, denoised, and then cropped to make the train a bit more prominent in the image. In my hack software, rawproc:

Interesting image…

5 Likes

DSCF9471.RAF.arp (12.0 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.4.1

DSCF9471_01.RAF.xmp (15.4 KB)

bnsf.train.gorge.pp3 (18.1 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

Nice one to play with…

Thanks!

1 Like

There’s so much going on in the picture so I tried to simplify by cropping and leaving the forest kind of dark and hazy to make the light of the train stand out more. Also went a little artsy with an orange-green-purple color harmony. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

RT5.8

DSCF9471-3.jpg.out.pp3 (13.4 KB)

2 Likes

DSCF9471.RAF.xmp (25,4 KB)

…difficult with the low detail contrast

BNSF Train through the Columbia River Gorge_DSCF9471.RAF.xmp (18.7 KB)

3 Likes

I tried to keept that faint morning light and the haze. I like all the subtle gradations in brightness and color.
Thanks for posting as a plaw raw!

DSCF9471.RAF.xmp (21.7 KB)

2 Likes