Calibrating my monitor on Linux

Hi all,

I use ubuntu 22.04 and I have a Spyder 3 monitor colorimeter. I’ve tried extensively to install displaycal gui to no avail. I’ve tried the python 3 version and I’m getting all sorts of errors while installing.

Instead of taking more time to troubleshoot (already wasted way too many hours), I thought I’d just get a friend with a windows laptop, plug their machine in my monitor, run the official software, and copy the color profile to my machine. I’m fine with doing that a couple times a year, no problem, I’m just a hobbyist anyway.

My question is, is this technically a correct approach? Is the color profiling specific to the monitor only, or is it affected by the OS as well?

Thank you in advance.

Unlikely to be correct with different graphic cards and drivers.

Just use displaycal via the flatpak.

I did it without any gui using this tutorial

which do no seem to be up anymore
here is my very partial transcript if it can help :

generate calibration file for temperature 6500 at brightness 120cd/m2 (for average litten room and web/print edit) just print aim lower (100) for laptop used in bright env aim higher (130+) Gamma 2.2 (norm ?)

(argyll-)dispcal -d1 -t6500 -b120.0 -g2.2 ‘Display_Profile_Name’

##Place colorimeter on the target
##Choose to account for ambian or not (not if the light in your room is subject to change)
##Check white point for temp with menu “2” and adjust with screen OSD (move OSD where it does > not interfere)
##Continue to calibration with menu “7”
##Bengin generating by first creating the target the profile -d3 ← wideo RGB (RGB display) with the same
(argyll-)targen -v -g16 -d3 ‘Display_Profile_Name’

##Profile the display (name the target the profile name you want at the end)
(argyll-)dispread -v -H -k Display_Profile_Name.cal Display_Profile_Target

##Generate the ICC color profile file
(argyll-)colprof -v -qh -as -nc Display_Profile_Target

After I fed the generated file to the display manager provided by my desktop environement

1 Like

Hi all and thank you for your replies!

@darix That’s the project I tried to install, what I called “the python 3 version”. I did spent a lot of time, installed all recommended dependencies, built virtual environments with different versions of Python… And I was always getting some error regarding wheels. I think I gave up, at least for now, I’ll give the other options a try.

@clind Somehow it never crossed my mind going GUI-less. Thanks, I think I’m going to give it a try!

@g-man Thanks for the feedback and for answering my original question, that’s very good to know. So, since you mentioned “drivers” I take it that if I were to dual-boot Windows on the same machine, with the same hardware and all, I would still get a different profile since that would be based on different drivers. I will give Flatpak a try, I had never heard of it before so I was a bit on the cautious side. It seems that they use an old version, and I’m about to ditch my Spyder 3 (10 years old, just learnt that these things have an expiration date), so I’ll have to check if the Flatpak version is up to date with modern hardware.

Yes, the Spyders are not great. Some say that the latest versions are fine, but haven’t seen anything definitive on that. In any case, if you want to be on the safe side, get the CaliBrite ColorChecker Display Pro.

Hey @Donatzsky ,

Thanks (admittedly late) for the reply! I’ve resurrected this thread because I’m going to give calibrating my monitor another go.

I think I’ll follow your recommendation and get myself a Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro.

Question, in case you know: I remember reading somewhere that some cheap calibration tools degrade over time because they use plastic filters. These filters themselves degrade or discolor over time (I’m not sure if I’m stating this accurately). On the other hand, there are more high-end tools that use glass filters, which maintain their accuracy over a greater period of time.

I’m interested in buying something that could potentially last for more than a couple of years. Do you happen to know which category the Display Pro falls into? I did try to search for this information, but could not figure it out…

Thanks

those were old Spyder ones…

Thanks, good to know.

That’s why you should get the CaliBrite (formerly X-Rite) and not a Spyder.

I use this one - works well for now PopOS 22.04
Spyder 5 - also works well.

expiration like the plastic deteriorates? Or no support for the program.

The color filters go bad. Apparently even new ones could be unreliable. Basically you can’t trust the device to give a correct or consistent reading. This is why, on the DisplayCAL forums (and elsewhere), the recommendation is to avoid the Spyders and get the X-Rite/CaliBrite devices instead.

1 Like

That sucks :frowning: another company to be black listed.
Thanks for the info - too late for me - already have the 5 but will re consider at some point in the future.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know! I’ll buy the Calibrate.

I 'd only buy that myself, but to give Spyder-whatever-their-company-name some credit it seems that they fixed their filters from Spyder 4th generation onwards… granted you might not want to trust a company that once blatantly made a cr$ppy product, even it was 10 years ago or so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is hope for the one I have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I searched around for calibrite colorchecker display, but I live in Greece and the prices with shipping, customs etc are way too high.

However, I found this, which seems to be a rebranded model, or at least very similar to the color checker:

/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2MTN61VNN3TUB&keywords=calibrite+display+sl&qid=1699996122&sprefix=calibrite+display%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-3

Do you reckon that this will work well with displaycal?

I have already found a relevant discussion in a displaycal forum, but I’m not sure if I understand the verdict. They seem to say the only limitation is speed, yet they also mention something about ccss corrections etc.

Could somebody advice on that?

Thank you

Are there no local sellers?

It’s almost certainly just a renamed (again…) version of one of the previous devices, so yes, it should work.

Hmm, looks like CaliBrite is in the process of completely revamping their line-up. It does look like the SL is what used to be the Colormunki/regular device. That’s the only one that didn’t have an ambient light sensor.

Current products:

Try to contact CaliBrite and ask how it relates to the old products and if there are any changes other than packaging.

Here’s the comparison of the old versions:

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply.

No resellers in Greece, unfortunately. No calibrite colorimeters anywhere I looked, I searched online, called stores, nothing. The only thing available are the spyders.

So I take it that the munki (whether that is the equivalent of the sl, I’d have to check) is not as advanced as the display.

Well, after all there is the option of buying a brand new display for around 190 euros incl. shipping from ebay from within Europe. Outside EU it’s cheaper but there will be customs which, along with courier related fees can get expensive. I think I may as well just accept the extra cost and go with it, the sl would cost me the same…

Edit: missed the fact that the sl also features scanner calibration, which is something I plan to buy in the future. I may have to think it over. Does ambient light sensor makes a big difference?