I’m researching stuff because I’d like to enhance
extract_wb script in darktable and thus have better wb presets available.
Here’s what I need you to do
//edit: NEW STEPS!!!
To owners of Canon/Nikon cameras - your cameras are now fully supported!
To owners of Fuji - I think we have problem with fuji needs samples!
To owners of other cameras: things seem to go well, need more samples
- Set you white balance to any pre-defined preset. Make sure the preset is NOT
Manual. It needs to be something predictible, like
- We’re gonna be doing whitebalance finetuning and shooting RAW. For this expriment I’ll need 3 shots from you, but for full finetuning in the future, darktable will need A LOT MORE (but don’t worry about it). Please make sure that you use same exposure & iso settings for all 3 shots, and prefferably shots need to be done in same timeframe
- Set your white balance preset finetuning to maximum
amber-bluescale/range/axis. Make sure that your ‘magenta-green’ scale/range/axis is set to 0 (centered). Take 1 shot
- move back 1 click away from
0on magenta-green axis). and take 1 shot
- center your finetuning (both axis on
0) so no finetuning is applied (this is just to validate data) and take 1 shot.
- do not delete the files
- for every image run the command below and post results (I also have convenience script)
exiftool -Make -Model "-WBType*" "-WB_*" "-ColorTemp*" \ -WhiteBalance -WhiteBalance2 -WhitePoint -ColorCompensationFilter \ -WBShiftAB -WBShiftAB_GM -WBShiftAB_GM_Precise -WBShiftGM -WBScale \ -WhiteBalanceFineTune -WhiteBalanceComp -WhiteBalanceSetting \ -WhiteBalanceBracket -WhiteBalanceBias -WBMode -WhiteBalanceMode \ -WhiteBalanceTemperature -WhiteBalanceDetected -ColorTemperature \ -WBShiftIntelligentAuto -WBShiftCreativeControl -WhiteBalanceSetup \ -WBRedLevel -WBBlueLevel -WBGreenLevel -RedBalance -BlueBalance \ "IMAGE.RAW"
- Post results here
you can call it like this:
extract_wb_from_images.sh IMAGE1.RAW IMAGE2.RAW IMAGE3.RAW
(or if you’re in directory with only those 3 images):
and it’ll produce nice little package You can post just the package then
To Fuji owners:
It seems like there’s no meaningfull data for Fuji fine adjustments in exif.
First - check your exiftool version (should be 11.91 or newer for fuji stuff):
then extract ALL data from exif of 2 neighbouring files (eg -9 and -8 finetuning):
exiftool -u -a -e -g1 FILE1.RAF > F1; exiftool -u -a -e -g1 FILE2.RAF > F2
next try to find differences between files:
diff F1 F2
Now look at the diff and see if there’s any difference .
Ignore any date/time, preview image, image count, thumbnail and offsets stuff. See what’s left.
If what’s left is only
White Balance Fine Tune and possibly
WB GRB Levels Auto then it means Fuji doesn’t include tuned data in their exif
- Canon - Works flawlessly
- Nikon - Works flawlessly
- Sony - Works flawlessly
- Pentax - Works flawlessly
- Panasonic - Works flawlessly
- Olympus - Works flawlessly
- Samsung - NEEDS MORE SAMPLES
- others - needs samples
- Fuji - complex, see more
Previous instructions for posterity
- Set your whitebalence preset to any pre-defined preset. I believe that “Daylight” is the most universal one
- Set your whitebalance preset finetuning in amber-blue range maximally towards amber (you might need to dig in the manual to know where it is, but I assure you the finetuning is there)
- take one shot making sure to use RAW (you can even leave the cap on on the lens :P)
- take the raw file and execute following command:
exiftool "-WB_*" -WhiteBalance -WhiteBalance2 -WhitePoint -Make -Model -WBShiftAB -WBShiftAB_GM -WhiteBalanceFineTune -WBShiftIntelligentAuto -WBShiftCreativeControl "FILENAME.RAW"
- post the results here.
$ exiftool "-WB_*" -WhiteBalance -WhiteBalance2 -WhitePoint -Make -Model -WBShiftAB -WBShiftAB_GM -WhiteBalanceFineTune -WBShiftIntelligentAuto -WBShiftCreativeControl "IMG_0074.CR2" WB RGGB Levels As Shot : 1594 1024 1024 1971 WB RGGB Levels Auto : 1628 1024 1024 1876 WB RGGB Levels Measured : 1628 1024 1024 1876 WB RGGB Levels Daylight : 1817 1024 1024 1711 WB RGGB Levels Shade : 2101 1024 1024 1487 WB RGGB Levels Cloudy : 1949 1024 1024 1596 WB RGGB Levels Tungsten : 1279 1024 1024 2439 WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent : 1513 1024 1024 2289 WB RGGB Levels Kelvin : 1817 1024 1024 1711 WB RGGB Levels Flash : 2005 1024 1024 1574 WB RGGB Levels : 1594 1024 1024 1971 White Balance : Daylight Make : Canon Camera Model Name : Canon EOS 77D WB Shift AB : -9
Edit: if you can do max amber and one step before max amber it would be great! If your camera is doing “half steps” then one half-step before max amber please
and needs to be different than canon