Can I use Raw Therapee with Lumix .RAW2 images?

Thanks for the explanations. As Chasing Shadows predicted a .pp3 file has appeared when I opened a .RAW2 file from Downloads. However, when I open a .RAW2 file from other locations, eg. a new folder on Desktop, and then close RT there is no .pp3 file. How can it work from Downloads but not elsewhere?
Anyway, hereā€™s the .pp3 file I have found:
_1010752.RW2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

Now try to save a jpeg or a tiff from the raw in downloads ā€¦I guess it will work then .,.

If Iā€™m right your original problem is, that the pp3 couldnā€™t be saved ā€¦

Yes. A .jpg and .pp3 were saved in Downloads. Thanks.
Any idea why .pp3ā€™s are not being saved elsewhere, in folders where I want them?

Nice catch, Karlheinz!

Now, why did everything work just fine here?
It could be because I installed RT as an admin.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

There are two things related to ā€œProgrammDataā€ ā€¦ it is hidden and it is protected. , and you didnā€™t put your raw files there ā€¦

Well, please try to save your jpeg somewhere on the desktop and keep your raw (and pp3) in downloads. I guess it will work

Is there no way I can grant permission for pp3ā€™s to be saved in normal folders? I donā€™t fancy moving all my old RAW files to my C: drive just so that I can use RT.
PS. This is a 64bit computer. I am administrator.

I think your problem is that ProgrammData is a protected folder which is not meant to store any kind of user data. It is used by a program to save system data files there wich can be updated independent from the program itself. Create a folder like C:\RAW and some additional structure like date and put your raw files there ā€¦ Iā€™m pretty sure then everything works as expected.

BTW, If Adobe updates the folder all your raws might be gone. I wouldnā€™t take that risk ā€¦

Yes, it works in the new folder you suggest. Thatā€™s good.
I also seem to be able to save with .pp3 files successfully to another drive, as I wish, but only in certain places on that drive.
I do not understand the term ā€œProgrammDataā€. Is the problem that the folders I was using to store Image files were originally created by Adobe Bridge?

The folder you mentioned earlier ā€œAdobe Camera Rawā€ is created by Adobe in a hidden and protected system folder called ā€œProgramDataā€ and it is meant to handle system files provided by Adobe and not any user files. Whenever Adobe thinks that it wants to install new/updated content they might delete the folder upfront. So if you still have all your raw files you are really lucky ā€¦

What do you mean with ā€œonly in certain placesā€? A lot of folders (to be exact most folders) on drive C: belong either Microsoft or any software vendor. And these folders are all protected. Iā€™m pretty sure the folders you are talking about ask for administrative privilege when you put something in manually.

Whenever the systems asks that, please do the following:

• Stop whatever you are doing
  • Switch the brain on and carefully rethink
  • Choose a proper location for the things you are trying to save

Regarding ProgramData , Microsoft indicates that ā€œthis folder is used for application data that is not user specificā€.

So I should add: never store your valuable data here as it is managed as the app developper decided.

The same holds also for C:\users<username>\Appdataā€¦

Also for security sake, unless required, donā€™t log under administrator account but under standard account for usual work as with RT.

@Campbells reinstall RawTherapee, this time do it as an administrator, so right-click on the RawTherapee installer and select ā€œRun as administratorā€. Now you can save anywhere.

Thanks Everyone. Thatā€™s clearer now. I seem to be able to save without problems to a folder ā€œG:/Lumixā€. I will use that for photos from my new camera, and consider what to do about the older ones. I have them all backed up on an external drive, and on BT Cloud, so I donā€™t feel in danger of losing them. However, I do rely on Bridge to organize them for me, and I donā€™t really want to have to tag them all again to a different location.

I tried your idea Morgan_Hardwood. It didnā€™t work on my system, Iā€™m afraid.

Oh? That was surprising. This is what Morgan means:
this

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Iā€™m afraid it is the case. I have twice reinstalled RT as instructed, using ā€œRun as Administratorā€ but I am still unable to Save within my ā€œoldā€ file. Life is full of surprises, I find, especially when I come to using computers.

Oh! Iā€™ve just remembered something that occurred when I installed RT. I do hope itā€™s not important to our discussion, or I shall feel a real fool for not mentioning it before.
Just before the completion of the installation, on each of the three times I have now installed the programme, there was an error message reading ā€œIPersistFile::Save failed: code 0x80070005 Access Deniedā€. I just ignored the message and the installation appeared to complete immediately.
Sorry. I should have reported it earlier.

@Campbells I finally found time to test your raw file. Both RT and the file are on a different partition than the OS. Same partition but different folder.

1. I opened the raw and applied a profile (auto-match low iso).
  2. I saved the result in TIF (float) and got this message.
  3. The saving was still happening though, so I decided to wait.
  4. Profit!!! :palm_tree::sunny:

ā€œI saved the result in TIF (float) and got this message.
image TIFFOpenW errorā€

I get that from TIFFs created by my Sigma raw converter. I just ignore it; as you say, it saves anyway.

Ted

Yes. I get an error message for TIFs too, but they seem to save OK.