Cannot find external hard drive on Mac

A newbie question: Have you had issue with using Raw on Mac. I have the latest 5.X vrersion on my Mac, and I have a seagate external drive plugged in. I can see the drive under the “locations” on Mac, but cannot find it via Raw Therapee. Has anyone had similar issue? Thanks.

Yes, it should be located in /Volumes

Also, welcome to the forum, Chris!

1 Like

very much appreciated!!!

Hello, Same problem with a PC, impossible to find the NAS that is networked. Thank you for your help

Hi! I have the problem with the version 5.7 provided by the Ubuntu Software Center (source: dl.flathub.org). It won’t recognize or show my two external hard drives although they show up in the explorer and I can access them via other programs fine… Anybody got an idea as to why this is?

Hi, I am the maintainer of the flatpak for RawTherapee. Did you mount your external drives using the file manager? If so, can you try mounting them via the command line using the mount command and see if they appear?

Hi! They are mounted so I unmounted them and mounted them via command. Sadly still nothing. The problem is, that even the “media” folder does not show up. It works fine with the 2nd version of RawTherapee in the Ubuntu Software Center…but that one has a bug with the HaldCluts…sometimes showing them…sometimes not…in the drop down menu…

With the flatpak, you can override the sandboxing mechanism on a per application basis, which is nice.

For example, if your disk is in /media/user/disk, you can do flatpak override --filesystem=/media com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee and then relaunch the app.

1 Like

That one’s so intrinsic to the nature of RawTherapee it should be either a default or very prominent in a README (and RawPedia). I was about ready to discard RT before I found this… I really hadn’t suspected the culprit was flatpak

The flatpak isn’t built by the RT team, but by me and another dude. I don’t think it makes sense to include it in the main RT read me.

If you read about flatpak in general, they explain this concept.

Well, there’s a big problem with Flatpak, then. A user who wants an application shouldn’t have to comprehensively research the corner cases of a platform before using it. It’s enough to make you just go buy a Mac :wink:

I don’t mean to pick on you here, after all, you solved my problem! :hearts: I’m just pointing out a new-user hazard. Worse, that new user is unlikely to think the issue is in flatpak, but in RT – I wonder how many problem reports they’ve already received and scratched their heads over, when the problem’s outside the scope of their influence?

Well there are “problems” with all packaging formats, even the new ones. AppImages have to be chmod’d befpe they’re run. Flatpak permissions may need to be changed. Snaps are strictly confined and the user can’t change them. Distro packages are likely out of date. PPAs can break your system… It goes on.

If you want a Mac, get one, you’ll find it has its own set of problems.

This is why we try and build community, so we can help solve one another’s problems.

Just consider: https://www.rawtherapee.com/downloads/ shows the AppImage – not apt or another scheme, as the distribution mechanism. If that appimage requires tweaking before running, who’s being served?

Since the appimage is the default distro it does feel like a mention about sandboxing is warranted in RawPedia.

Well the AppImage isn’t sandboxed. Only flatpak and snap are sandboxed.

The wiki is a wiki, you can edit it! :slight_smile:

jfc I just wish this info about Rawtherapee sandboxed flatpak would be somewhere higher in google search and not under Mac topic. Thank god I found it!! :innocent:

This is not specific to RawTheapee, its applicable to all flatpaks