[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

It passed away yesterday on my balcony and so I put it carefully on a soft cushion

14 Likes

From today’s walk, a young cormorant (at the North Sea).

11 Likes

Sunset on Red River

After more than seven (?) weeks with no measurable rain it finally rained today, at my house at least! Only 0.75" (19mm) but we’ll take it. Within an hour after the rain, the sun was shining again. After dinner, the clouds were starting to look good but I was running late. I only had time to drive across town to a “default” location rather than looking for something better (which in all honesty doesn’t exist anyway).

I just barely made it… Within literally five minutes of the first image, the light was gone and I was packing up to leave.

This is an “oxbow” dead-end arm of the Red River at Pineville, Louisiana. The composition isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s about all that’s available from that location.

I bracketed but ended up using the underexposed image without anything else. There’s a little noise in the shadows, but that looks better than the inevitable artifacts (given my minimal processing “skills”) that would’ve shown up if I had tried to composite several images, particularly considering all the silhouetted leaves in the shot. It was a bit of a challenge to balance the deep shadows and brighter sky in a realistic manner.

Canon T8i / 850D, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, ART 1.20.1, Affinity Photo 2.21

Now that I’ve posted this, I think I’ll also post all three brackets as a PlayRaw if someone wants to take a stab at it.

14 Likes

Please do, it’s a great photograph :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, and done!

4 Likes

@TonyBarrett gave us a nice picture of Dunnotar Castle, to which I responded with a moan about never being able to get a picture because of the haar .

Well, I managed to get some pictures, but I am still not happy. Yesterday we had a cloudless sky with the temperature into the mid-twenties. The castle is on the east coast, and the best time to take pictures is at sunrise, but this would mean that I would have to set off at 04:30 to get there.

So, here they are, taken in the afternoon with the sun directly behind me:

6 Likes

I took this shot in a hurry a few weeks ago, mainly as a reminder to come back and make a better shot in the future. The mosquitoes were turning me into a human pincushion, so I wasn’t taking a lot of time. About a week later, I was on a flight with my son, and he had saved some movies for offline viewing. We were watching the none-too-exciting “Awake” when I suddenly went “Hey, i was just there!”

The bridge doesn’t seem too concerned that it’s support is falling over. For those familiar with Toronto, it’s the Finch Ave. bailey bridge north of the zoo.

2 Likes

20 Likes

Kiteboarder

This is a very frustrating sport for photographers, because the kiteboarder and the kite/sail are quite far apart so you have to make choices.

12 Likes

I will never tire of photographing trees, especially in infrared…

17 Likes

Did a Snapshot the other day in the garden that came out rather nice. It has a certain pop that I quite like. Also it fits (per luck) the complementary color pattern.

14 Likes

Brittany’s climate has the reputation to be quite rainy, to which a famous Breton replied: “In Brittany it only rains on morons”. Now I know where they live:

16 Likes

Berries

9 Likes

Shot last month, developed today trying the new primaries module.

21 Likes

11 Likes

Was feeling very uninspired on club photowalk on Thursday with the theme of “move out of your comfort zone”. Only shot that I kept after taking maybe five in all was this heavily cropped effort.

7 Likes

Morning mist from our balcony

8 Likes

Had wonderful light late this afternoon. This is the building that used to house one of Zürich’s first fixed cinemas, the Radium.
Part of the building is from the 14th centuary (the part that was owned by the Brentschink family); the other is from the 16th, rebuilt in the 17th.
After the cinema ceased operating, during the renovation work, a stash of movie posters and other printed materials, mostly dated before 1920, was found.
(Mühlegasse 5 – Wikipedia)

9 Likes

On holiday in NZ, the weather has wet and dreary, but yesterday evening had improved somewhat. A cormorant (known as a shag in NZ) making a few splashes on the way to getting airborne over the Firth of Thames.

13 Likes

Same motive as before, slightly different location. This is a part of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley in Germany.

3 Likes