[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

12 Likes

Thanks. I think you’re right about similarities between our and your towns. I’ve never been to the US, but from photos there’s definite parallels. Whereas European does have a rather different vibe.

These were taken on Sunday afternoon, around 5pm so it was very quiet, almost deserted except for a little buzz of coming and going around the pizza takeaway. I took these photos while waiting for my pizza. :slight_smile:

Dunno! I didn’t actually know the name, but I’ve looked him up now. More research indicated. And yes, I’m a little disappointed that we no longer have an auto industry. We did… Falcons, Commodores and Camrys were all built here. No longer. :roll_eyes:

I think you’re right - incidentally, in some of the newest developments in inner Canberra, the layout is rather more like you describe. But it’s all brand new apartments, so different again.

2 Likes

That’s something you’ll never see in any part of the US except (maybe tidbits of the northeast?): Pre-automobile streets. It’s a shame about the graffiti, but apparently a free spirit was involved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a shame indeed. Fortunately it’s not widespread yet. Actually, the municipality of Luxembourg has transformed an old factory into a free skating and graffiti park. But apparently illegal is sweeter…

2 Likes

It got worse here during covid. Not even skilled, just scrawls.

1 Like

Same trip as the last photos I posted here, but only just processed and stitched.

22 Likes

Very nice with the dark, saturated, contrasty foreground that gradually fades into the mist, the higher one looks.

2 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure how it would turn out when I took it. Even while working on it, it wasn’t until I had the stitched but undeveloped version in darktable that I thought “mm… nice I think…”

It was 27 frames all up. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ya think??

This is on the almost non-maintained day-use portion of a rec area around a small local lake. I’ve posted other images taken here before.

The north side of the lake (large pond almost) is a camping / trailer / RV area which gets frequent use. It’s not a fancy site, but is kept working.

The south side is the day use area, which has a couple of fishing piers, picnic tables, trails, etc. However, other than the piers and vault toilets restroom near the parking area it’s more or less abandoned for all practical purposes. It’s used for fishing and casual walking, but that’s about it.

There are signs of a much more active past.

The lake is man-made, apparently created in the 1930s, but the existing facilities bear (to my eye) the earmarks of the 1960s to 1970s so it may have been upgraded then. There are (non-functional) drinking fountain heads and water faucets on pipes sticking up by trails, restrooms almost totally overgrown by the forest, old asphalt roads cracking and broken, paved trails – sometimes concrete with steps – that disappear off into the woods, picnic tables with broken benches and small trees growing up between remaining benches and the table tops. Of course to reach these tables requires navigating briers, saplings, undergrowth and deadfall (not to mention the potential risk of any critters living in the undergrowth).

Being in a region subject to periodic tropical weather systems, there’s a more than normal quantity of deadfall lying about. I’ve seen fallen tree trunks lay across trails for months until finally a section was simply chain-sawed out so the trail could be used. Never is anything actually (re)moved. It’s just left to rot. This approach is typical locally and regionally. Many bayous, creeks and other streams have densely cluttered banks where vegetation has been pushed after being cut farther away. As a result it’s often quite difficult to find a place to actually get to the water’s edge.

You’ll also find various piles of disused building resources: what we call “cinder blocks” (i.e., hollow large concrete construction bricks), pipes, old posts with concrete still attached after being pulled from the ground, steel angle stock, fencing and so on. Surprisingly there’s not quite as much out-and-out (publicly disposed) trash in this area but I suspect that’s simply because being basically abandoned, it’s not heavily used.

Anyway, didn’t mean for that to turn into an editorial! :slight_smile:

Here’s a past-peak but still defiantly colorful tree I found on my walk yesterday:

8 Likes

I wonder if that’s at least partially a result of similarities (despite differences):

• A frontier history and mentality
  • Similar time / history / age ranges
  • A large amount of space for expansion
  • Both peoples were “pushed” (literally or figuratively) away from England into a new world

…well maybe that last one was a reach. :smiley:

2 Likes

Bonus side of being mostly abandoned, no trash, like you say. In a way much more desirable than otherwise. Awesome photo, that three really stands out, very picturesque :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did I already mention it’s november?

22 Likes

Which time zone are you in? :slight_smile:

But you convey beautifully my perception of November.

It’s GMT+1

Wow… that’s really atmospheric. Great job.

But… it’s December here :wink: :wink:

OMG Tempus fugit!
I should look at the calender more often.

3 Likes

Awesome foto, it made me shiver.

1 Like

Thank you - but it was so easy: I just hat to travel 4 weeks back in time.

1 Like

While not the biggest form of art - the interesting parts (and why I am posting it):

• handheld
  • on a moving boat
  • mid day
  • darktable, hugin, linux
  • and a 9 year old camera with a kit lens.

I did not expect much but it is a keeper for me.

14 Likes

Its quite nice, you should be proud!

1 Like