[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

I took nine photos at this spot waiting for a car to come over that ridge (it only came after I’d just got back in my own car) without noticing that dead bird/fertiliser sacking just in front of me

9 Likes

A fountain for those hiking around Türlersee. Temperature was around freezing point, well below it during the night. Thanks to the short exposure time, the water itself appears frozen.

Here’s a wider shot to illustrate the fountain. I really like how in Switzerland such fountains are available along most easier hiking trails, even in the mountains, and how animals are also taken into consideration: the overflow often feeds into another outlet close to the ground, where for example dogs can have access to water.

11 Likes

My wife has recently had a hip replacement, but now is up to walking limited distances. We walked into Pitlochry for a coffee and a cake. When we walked into the café, the ground was clear. When we came out, it looked like this:

11 Likes

If you had picked an outdoor / sidewalk cafe, you wouldn’t have been surprised by the weather.

Just sayin’… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s all? The snow here is almost knee-deep:

18 Likes

I did a long train trip recently… I took my old Fujifilm S5600 ‘bridge’ camera along, as well as a newer camera, just for fun - it was my first proper camera - way back in 2006!

Interestingly, it can shoot raw - albeit rather slowly. While it’s only 5mp, it’s amazing how much better the images look when processed in darktable.
The in-camera sharpening and noise reduction is a bit primitive I suppose, compared to modern methods.
Having said that I’ve actually left most of these un-denoised and unsharpened, as at least with this subject matter I feel like a slightly lo-fi style suits it.

Sydney Central Station. Next two images as well.

First Class Coach corridor

Taree Station

Forgotten where!

19 Likes

Incredible shots and processing, especially the ones inside the train. Keen to see XMPs if you’re willing to share.

3 Likes

You’re only jealous cos my photo was on the BBC weather forecast last night :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:
There’s nothing too fancy really - I suspect the old sensor and lens have contributed a chunk of the final effect.
I did use a technique I think you mentioned recently (unless it was @jandren) … that being dropping the target white luminance in sigmoid. Very nice for a slightly faded look.
Here’s XMPs for a couple of them. The first had a fair bit of tweaking trying to get the colours just right.
DSCF5891.RAF.xmp (11.4 KB)
DSCF5895.RAF.xmp (11.4 KB)

I could make a Play Raw with one of these (or a similar shot) if there’s interest. :slight_smile:

Congrats! :wink:

the pictures in the train are very nice color and grain-wise perfect :slight_smile: congrats !
I’ll have a look at the xmps as well !

1 Like

Jealus? Me?
Did you see the joy on the sparrow’s face? Or the proud look in the robin’s eye?
What could give me greater satisfaction? :innocent:

I don’t think your birdies would have been too happy last night if they lived in Pitlochry.

Temperature dropped to -13C overnight. :cold_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I went out yesterday morn to -4F, heard geese honking in the surrounding hills. I bet the conversation was, “You didn’t take us far enough South!!!”

2 Likes

We almost got that far down, way down here in the US deep south (31N latitude). It was -11C / 12F last night here. Cold enough for me.

1 Like

OK - it’s -2°C. But as long as I feed my birdies, they will be (a tiny little bit) happy.

6 Likes

Three more from the Türlersee walk:

19 Likes

I love the last one especially - bowed down and sad beneath a heavy burden …

1 Like

I think the industrial nature of that statue fits the background nicely. The statue itself reminds me of Tales from the Loop.

6 Likes

Let’s talk about the weather :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Makes me think of barbed wire:

18 Likes