[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

This one is radio controlled. Here is a little video about it:
https://youtu.be/l4CTUEeHtSg

I also have one that takes pictures automatically, but I haven’t used it much since making the RC rig.

5 Likes

Just watched the video — how cool is that?! It’s inspired me to fish out that actioncam that I bought on a whim a few years ago but has yet to see the light of day.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! It’s a fun way to mash two hobbies together.

1 Like

I spent the weekend at Batemans Bay for the annual Rally of The Bay, but oddly (for me) didn’t get any photos of the cars in high speed action as I was servicing for one of the cars and didn’t actually try to squeeze in any spectating.

But got a little collection of snaps here and there. This was actually the Friday evening - happened to see this little scene in an shop window under construction adjacent to where I parked my car.
I was rather pleased with this one. :smiley:
Processed in RT 5.9

9 Likes

Intriguing, enigmatic, even. What is being discussed in secret?

1 Like

Pretty much my thoughts :slightly_smiling_face: Actually, I think they were just discussing how to set up the display (of bicycles I believe!) but in that moment it leaves so many questions.

D’you suppose that’s a pistol the fellow on the left is holding? :wink:

I don’t know whether the aphorism about painting the Forth Bridge is known outside the UK. “Like painting the Forth Bridge” means undertaking a task that is never completed, since once the bridge has been pained, the painters simply start again.

Anyway, here is the old, red-oxide painted bridge and the new bridge at Queensferry crossing:

6 Likes

The same aphorism is applied here in Australia to painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge

1 Like

The Eiffel tower is simpler, you just pour a large) bucket of paint at the top and let gravity work…

The French navy has two sayings:

• It it moves, you salute, if it doesn’t, you paint.
  • Shit+paint=cleanliness
2 Likes

I am going to guess that the aphorism about the Forth Bridge has precedence, since it was built before he Sydney Harbour Bridge.

1 Like

10 Likes
3 Likes

Since watching a couple of videos on your Youtube channel, @montagdude, I’m seriously considering giving this a go (albiet a modest one to start off with; my initial attempts may simply involve dangling my actioncam from the kid-next-door’s toy kite and flying it around the office to annoy my boss :wink:).

1 Like

Yup, I know of that guy. He does it for a living and goes to some amazing places. Seems like a lot of fun, except for having to sell your art to survive, which I wouldn’t like.

Great, have fun! There are a lot of good resources out there for getting into it. There’s a pretty active Facebook group and also a less active forum. My website also has some info and links to other sites. Lots of people use action cameras, especially for video, and also those 360-degree cameras. I personally like a more stills-oriented approach, which the Sony RX0 is despite the fact that it looks like an action camera.

3 Likes

But it is/was the reality for a lot of artists (people like Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Mozart, …). And it will always be a reality when you want to spend all your working time on your art.

2 Likes

Yup, and I’m glad some people enjoy doing that. I don’t think I would, though.

It was stills that I was actually thinking about — I just don’t fancy my mirrorless dangling by a bit of string 100 meters up in the air from a hard concrete floor with ME at the healm. :laughing:

3 Likes

When I first started, I used an old Android phone with a camera app on it that had an intervalometer. Then I graduated to an old Canon Powershot camera where I could install CHDK to do the same thing. Both are cheap and low-risk ways to get started. Evan Reinheimer (in the video above) hangs expensive full-frame mirrorless cameras from his kites, but that’s a bit too scary for me!

2 Likes

This gets even better: I, too, have an old Canon Powershot running CHDK. Looks like I’m destined to give this a go!

3 Likes