[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

Is this the same as what we call Solo II or autocross here?
( Autoslalom – The Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs )
Or off-road?

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile: Yes, I think it looks pretty much the same thing. Our club (the Light Car Club of Canberra) runs these events under the regulation of the main national body, Motorsport Australia, but in our case they’re not part of a championship - just stand-alone so as to speak.

A slight difference (maybe?) is that here it’s seen as an entry point to not only motorsport in general, but particularly rallying - which I noticed wasn’t mentioned on the linked page. I don’t know how big rallying is in north America… but I’m sure you would hear of the WRC championships at least. :wink:

A couple (ok, a few!) of pics from the last year of khanacross events. :oncoming_automobile: :blue_car:

11 Likes

I particularly like the first shot - but it begs the question: Did the driver manage to keep control? I notice a previous injury to the passenger side from corner.

1 Like

Glad you like the shot! I like that one too. Yes, he was well in control actually. As it happens, he’s a good friend of mine too - so I know about that car…

It was a written-off vehicle purchased at an auction - so it can’t be legally driven on the road, but it’s fine for this kind of event. (it’s trailered to events) And a lot cheaper as it basically sold for parts value. :slight_smile: That damage you can see was part of what wrote it off - the other part is a fairly massive dent in the back. :dizzy_face:
After some ‘rough but effective’ repairs it easily passed the scrutiny requirements for the event.

1 Like

7 Likes

It’s nowhere near as big as it is in Europe, but there is a somewhat healthy national series in Canada. A few Canadians have done well in WRC 2 (not sure if it is still called that). We do tend to punch above our weight in karting, though. This is my son in action (but not my photo - I took it from his laptop’s lock screen). I don’t take photos at races because I am always either wrenching or watching how his kart is handling.

A few of his former teammates went on to rallying, and did quite well (in Canada).

10 Likes

Black & White… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

19 Likes

Nice image. I love the way you captured the exitment of and interaction between the two foremost subjects. :blush:

These photos are already a few years old but the processing is new, hope that counts :slight_smile:

From a visit in Boston. I found that the Boston City Hall looks like it’s coming straight out of some Orwellian dystopy, so I tried some colour grading to make it look like frames from a corresponding movie. I played around a bit with the new primaries module in darktable but most of the grading is done with color balance.

I think in the third shot the grading doesn’t work so well (not sure why exactly) but I wanted to have the full-building shot included in the series.

11 Likes

Nice bit of Brutalism and great pics

Wow … looks architecturally very similar to the National Library of New Zealand in Wellington. Wellington is my birth-home town, but I haven’t lived there since 1992. (more than 30 years, now - how time flies!) This capture is from January 2019.

4 Likes

There are times to watch the moon.

And there are times to sip a coffee.

Merry Christmas to you all!

And a big thank you to the developers!

12 Likes

Indeed. According to Wikipedia it’s no coincidence:

The architecture of the building is said to have been heavily influenced by the design of the Boston City Hall

I wonder how many movies these have featured in

1 Like

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Martin

11 Likes

P.S. Thanks to @jandren, @flannelhead and all those involved with sigmoid. The new sigmoid primaries help so much with blue Christmas lights!

15 Likes

You know, with a 50mm f/1.7 in my bag I should be trying some shots like this. :slight_smile:

What’s the cat’s name? (S)He doesn’t look overly impressed… :smirk_cat:

1 Like

Goferit! I expect you’ve had a peek at the metadata already but this was the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (not the newer G) wide open on the full frame D750.
I very much like the rendering of this lens for this kind of thing. Slightly but distinctly soft (only wide open), bokeh is smooth but slightly messy, altogether a very classic look IMO. And relatively cheap.

I don’t much like the look of some of the new Z series Nikon lenses. Everyone on the Nikon group in FB has been going crazy over the new 135mm f1.8 “Plena”. But to me many of the pics just look dull - it’s got this really sharp in focus with really “perfect” bokeh to the point that it almost looks a bit “fake”.
But I may well just be jealous. :smile:

The cat’s name is Potts, AKA PotterCat. He’s a cool cat. :sunglasses: Isn’t really fazed by anything, but is sometimes slightly let down by being unusually clumsy for a cat. E.g. climbing on a bookshelf and falling off - together with a pile of books. :wink: But he just carries on as if nothing happened.

1 Like

What I have is a manual Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 from the film days (on a crop sensor, though, so effectively 80mm). What I don’t have are real Christmas tree lights. Our little tree has small red (only) bulbs and is pretty inaccessible photo-wise. But I’ll think about it. My wife is home from work all this week and might not take too kindly to me setting up a photo shoot in the living room. Who knows… :slight_smile:

100% typical cat. “What?? I meant to do that, dumb human…” :smirk_cat:

2 Likes

So is that adapted to Canon mount? I’ve seen adaptors for that, really thin because the difference in flange distance is so small. But on the right side though.

Ha! Maybe our other two are unusually cautious…