[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

@epeeist Great story and photos. I like how you composed the photos with some drama in them. No, not the drama slider. :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words.

What I really went to the centre for was to document the thatchers, stonemasons, green woodworkers and the rest, plying their craft to get the centre ready for opening on the 1st April.

I should also add, that the centre has an apprentice scheme for local youngsters to learn these crafts.

And just for completeness, here are a few I took for myself

15 Likes

My friend once found a hair brush in the middle of a loaf of bread. To add insult to injury, he doesn’t even have any hair. :laughing:

3 Likes

Got a new camera (Fujifilm X-T4) and took it to the botanical garden to give it a try. All sooc jpgs for now

And playing around with the film simulation options (Eterna bleach bypass):

8 Likes

I once bought a milk shake from a fast food place… was trying to suck the contents up the straw and it was totally blocked. i found a metal washer in the shake, stuck to the bottom of my straw.

A co-worker (whom I told about the incident) had worked at that “restaurant” several years earlier and knew the current manager. When he saw him later, he related my story. The manager’s response was basically, “Oh wow… that’s great! Now all we have left to find are two screws!” Turns out someone had been working on the shake machine and a few parts went “missing”.

Unbelievable.

4 Likes

Drinking pot of tea for one at lunch place, poured out the last of the brew into the cup along with a small cockroach. Showed it to server, they were like, oh well, too late now.

2 Likes

Reminds me of this passage from Cider With Rosie:

IMG_7190

1 Like

There was a story (true?) about someone having a similar issue with a plugged straw, pulling it out and finding a cockroach stick to the end… Ick.

1 Like

I needed something peaceful today

10 Likes

Love the form of those clouds.

1 Like

P1030001.RW2 (14.0 MB)
Took the day off of work to go spend the morning shooting. This was the first pic of the day, untouched. It took over an hour to realize that I’d had my exposure stepped down 3 steps…
Well, I reckon I’ll be checking that more often now.

edit I’m a bit rusty on forum use from my desktop…can I get a quick primer on how to insert an image that doesn’t require downloading to view? I’ve checked the FAQ but there wasn’t a section on posting images to the forum…unless I missed it (entirely probable).

1 Like

This is also what I once found when unblocking the filter of my automatic espresso machine … ick-to the nth power! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Welcome!

Generally speaking, post a jpeg, as opposed to a raw file. :slight_smile:
That also keeps size down - 1MB or so is a nice size for forum use. And also, it’s not possible to save an edited raw file (unless you’re seriously into hacky stuff) so it fits in to the workflow quite well in most cases.
I usually export from darktable at 3000x2000 pixels, at 70% or so jpeg quality, although starting to lean towards 2048px on the long side as that’s what Facebook likes… (yep, I post there too…)

1 Like

Olympus OM-D EM5 mkii with Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D lens.
Darktable 4.7

17 Likes

Look at those curls on the second pic :smiley: Looks great with that light and composition

2 Likes

In the zoo again…who is watching whom?

15 Likes

I’ve just gone through the exercise of setting up presets for every place I might post photos, even including the wallpaper rotations for my own systems. You can find max dimensions (if any) for most, but choosing the jpeg quality for each destination is sometimes a hunt and peck exercise to get a good looking image while complying with size guidelines or restrictions.

1 Like

Nice. I’m actually finding myself building a list of presets too, albeit in a more ad hoc fashion!

1 Like

Angora goat. :wink: They specialize in curls!

1 Like

I went on a walk today by the river and saw a long-tailed tit for the first time ever. Thankfully, I had my Fuji X-T5 + 70-300 + 1.4 TC and managed to snap a few pics as the tiny and hyper bird darted from branch to branch.

(Photos processed in darktable)

22 Likes