[Capture Challenge] People without people

I took this picture just because of this thread. The server downtime prevented posting it. My son wanted to climb the steps of the Eiffel Tower. I noticed how much wear the metal steps had from all of the climbing, therefore the impact of people. This was after sunset, so the lighting/color balance is just what was available.

8 Likes

I feel this one is stretching the definition a little, but it is a completely human-made scene, but deserted. Maybe it’s not so bad :smiley:
Taken with a vintage Taylor-Hobson 40-400mm TV lens on a D750… all 8.5kg of it!

6 Likes

Outside Piccadilly Station in Manchester is a sculpture of blind veterans from WWI. When it was erected in 2018 it got lots of interest. These days, people simply walk past it:

6 Likes

That’s a very interesting image. Apart from the statues, which are sobering, I like the way you can pick out individual faces of the passers by. 'Specially like the cop… um… officer on the right. :slightly_smiling_face:

Move along, move along, nothing to see here…

1 Like

Ghosts in front of the Cathedral of Porto. To get rid of the annoying tourists (generously ignoring my own status), I took several long time exposures for later fusion. This is one of them.

4 Likes

Seeing your picture made me think of this one I took at Mukaijima, one of the very small island along the shimanami kaidou , a road that link Hionshu (biggest Japanese island) to Shikoku. The route hop from small islands to small island linked by bridges with special lane (or event floor) for cyclists and pedestrians. Gorgeous sceneries, tropical weather and clear water in summer, I highly recommand to all cyclist and campers had a wonderfull time in September 10 years ago.

The premicies and in fact the whole village seemed deserted

5 Likes

When it comes to abandonment, the strangest place I have ever visited was a Russian coal town called Pyramiden on Svalbard. The Russians just sailed away from it

11 Likes

Important and urgent files

8 Likes

@epeeist bowl is interesting to me, so is the tight crop of your set. (Appears you have duplicated drunken table in your post).

@alex666 At least they didn’t destroy the evidence. Not too late to digitize them. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

A bit of Brutalist architecture in the Belconnen suburb of Canberra.
No people. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Been doing a bit of research… these buildings are part of the Cameron Offices, designed by John Andrews, who while Australian also designed buildings in Canada and the USA.

Including the CN Tower (he was involved anyway). @afre might be interested. (if you like architecture of a certain kind anyway! :wink:)

The concrete and reflective surfaces, like those ceiling panels on the bottom pic, give it a nice retro-futuristic feel. The open blinds in the first picture break the illusion but otherwise great stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, got mixed feelings about that - I actually like the way it contrasts the mundane interior against the rather dramatic exterior, but as you say it does break the illusion… at least it’s a talking point! :grin:

1 Like

@123sg Thanks! It will be on my to do list to learn more about John Andrews.

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):

He died peacefully in his hometown of Orange on 24 March 2022.

Good to know. :dove:

1 Like

8 Likes

@123sg BTW, I stayed at the penitentiary-style university residence Andrews designed for a year. It wasn’t a pleasant experience. :person_shrugging:

@Brunolas981 What is the intended purpose of those containers? Who decorated them?

1 Like

You will not meet the people - they have all found the exit

9 Likes

Gosh - first hand experience! I was wondering what the ones I photographed were like to live in. They’re at least partly Uni residences.

1 Like

11 Likes