Color/Tone Correction highlights slider sensitivity

This may be entirely normal / intended, but I’ve noticed it for quite a while and am curious…

The highlights slider on the C/T Correction tool seems to be operationally far more sensitive than either the shadows or midtones slider. That is, I quite often have to either click-hold+drag or shift+drag to activate “slow mode” for the slider or it’s too touchy.

Is it just me?

This is on Windows if it matters, but has been consistent as far back as I can recall (ART version-wise).

Thanks.

I don’t think there’s anything unusual, the impact of each slider depends on the picture, but in general they are not supposed to be normalised to the same range…

I realize it’s highly unscientific, but over many images I’ve always noticed it seems like the highlights slider takes a fraction of the movement of either mid tones or shadows to be “too far”. That’s pretty subjective but that’s how it consistently feels to me. I have to be much more careful (i.e., much less change) with highlights in general. But that may be as expected.

Again just curious.

Could this be because the scale is linear rather than in EV?

For example, if you set it to +1 EV, you move the value from 1.0 to 2.0. You adjust by 1.0. For -1 EV, you move it from 1.0 to 0.5. In this case, you only adjust by 0.5. Perceptually, decreasing seems more sensitive.

That’s true, but it should also be the same for mids and shadows, which don’t seem as sensitive and I notice it when increasing highlights as well. Setting an “adjustment gamma” (as demonstrated by Alberto) doesn’t seem to reduce highlight sensitivity IME.

Again it’s not an issue, just a curiosity. Speaking purely personally I’d prefer it less sensitive but that’s a very narrow view (i.e., one user’s only).