current OSX Build

I look in GitHub and there is already an issue reported for the .dng files. In the discussion of the issue there is even a reference to this thread. Thus, I did not open a new one!

1 Like

Hi all, I’m a first time Mac owner/user (for desktop anyways) and I’m struggling to wrap my head around a new OS after three+ decades on Windows.

Can anyone speak to how easy Darktable is to install on Mac? Is it one of those mountable DMGs after which you can just drag into the Applications folder? In the event that an M1 or Universal version ever comes out, would updating be as easy as dragging over the new one and overwriting? Is there any chance things would break if I start working with the x86/Rosetta 2 version?\

Basically, Darktable and its Negadoctor module have wildly impressed me compared to other options for negative inversion. I don’t want to subscribe to Adobe so Negative Lab Pro is a no go. Capture One has its negative functionality limited to their “Cultural Heritage” version. FilmLab gave me awful results. Vuescan gives me the actual RAW Linear negative scans I need, but its processing is limited.

Out of everything I tried, Darktable impressed me most, and I would LOVE to start using it now instead of holding out hope for an M1 version, but I don’t want to put all that time in only to find out later that XMP sidecar files or whatever won’t be interchangeable between x86 and M1 versions?

Sorry if these are dumb Qs. Thank you!

just as simple as used on macs:
open the dmg, drag darktable icon to application folder - done.
official release or development builds are universal.
development build updates the database so once used there’s no way back without reverting to a backup of ~/.config/darktable

There’s a description how to build darktable for m1 on github, but yet no dmg afaik.

Thank you! Building it myself is a bit beyond me, I’m sure easy enough if I follow the steps but I can wait.

Sounds like you’re saying though that it shouldn’t be an issue if I start using it now (via Rosetta) and later overwrite if the universal version includes a native M1 version? I’m only using a few of the modules anyways so I’m guessing the possibility of stuff being missing from the M1 version, breaking sidecar compatibility, is pretty limited?

macOS makes the transition INtel / M1 very transparent. You should not bother about the different architecture. macOS “knows” when an applications needs Rosetta or not to bridge with M1 code.
Universal means that the application contains both code, Intel and M1. If you have a Intel Mac, then it will select the Intel code. If you have a M1 Mac, it will select the M1 code. No configuration from the user. In short, one binary, user don’t care about the CPU. (there might be very specific compilation problems because of the difference between the CPU,).

Martin is compiling with the Universal mode switched on, that means both code are available for each platform, in the same “container”. I’m using his binaries on my M1 with no problems.

Well, no, not really. Martin is compiling for Intel Macs. When you install that DMG it installs Intel code that will run under Rosetta on M1 Macs. To run Darktable in native Apple Silicon, you have to install Homebrew and compile darktable from source.

If you’re interested. mac os | Program crashes when opening any dng files · Issue #11894 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Hi Steven,

Oh? Then I misunderstood that developement builds were universal.
I gave up compiling on M1 months ago, because some part were missing at some point (I don’t remember what).

Thanks

current master + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.9.0+1634~g54e57ec83.dmg
For a list of changes see Pulse · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

this build requires at least osx 10.15; don’t forget to backup …

please don’t use this thread for osx build discussions in general - better start a separate thread for that, so here just the latest builds can be found.

Happy to report that in build +1634 the crash when opening .dng files is gone. Will keep testing. Thanks to all of you working on this project!!!

Replying to myself. I just checked on my Mac M1… Darktable compiled by Martin is for Intel (ie not universal)

And darktable 3.8.1 (stable) is also for Intel (ie not universal)

HI,

I’m a bit late on this thread. I’m not able to import DNG in This build of darktable (up to darktable-3.9.0+1634~g54e57ec83.dmg of 28 May 2022. Darktable just crashed when clicking on the import button.

on iMac 2015 Intel, MacBook Pro 2021 M1.

DNG have been take with Adobe Lightroom Mobile on iPhone 13.

Log from Macbook Pro M1 attached:
/Users/olivier/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all &> Desktop/log.txt
log.txt (370.6 KB)

please file an issue at Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

The bug report has been created for a long time. Solutions to the problem are simply run away from.
And they are unlikely to decide. You need to find an option to convert dng files to another format before you want to export to dt. This is a crutch, but there will be no other solution, or will be very soon.

Feel free to make a debug build and find the cause of the problem.

Ok, so something weird happened this morning…

TL;DR : it works now with DNG… on MacBookPro M1 and on iMac Intel

Yesterday:
I installed darktable-3.9.0+1362_ga1de270c4.dmg yesterday after the crash with a new .config. Everything worked.

This morning:
Installed darktable-3.9.0+1634~g54e57ec83.dmg
Renamed .config/darktable to have a brand new config
Unquarantined darktable
Launch darktable
Drag & drop DNG : darktable imports it. Yesterday it crashed…
Used the Import button : import successful

Closed Darktable
Delete the brand new .config/darktable directory
Renamed the previous .config/darktable (created from
darktable-3.9.0+1362_ga1de270c4.dmg, which had no problem with import)
Started Darktable
Darktable ask permission to update database : Yes
Darktable starts
Drag and drop DNG : import successful
Import using the button : import successful

I don’t quite understand how I got the crash with logs yesterday… The only thing I can suppose are the successive database updates between end april and end of may… And one of the updates went wrong…

darktable-3.9.0+1700~gb9617db13.dmg

1 Like

darktable-3.9.0+1744~gebe766dba

1 Like

darktable-3.9.0+1774~g141efbfd6.dmg

1 Like

upcoming 4.0 branch + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-4.0.0.dmg
– be aware thats not the official release –