current OSX Build

My packages of current master are built on latest Monterey, Xcode commandline tools and macports versions.
It runs fine on my intel based MacBook Pro and of course with opencl support.

you need to learn about git version control, then youā€™ll understand, that thereā€™s not such thing as a 1493 a developer provides. thatā€™s just the number of commits included in that build of a specific branch.
Thereā€™re releases, thereā€™re branches and there is current master and then there are as many possible revisions as there are commits in each branch.

So if you want to get a specific state of darktable you need to do a checkout based on a specific commit (indicated by the last 9 characters of the version name) in a specific branch or current master. Itā€˜s up to you, the developers are giving full accessā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you, I will backup and update

Is your macbook on the M1?

as i wrote itā€™s a intel based Mac, and I build using Macports. for M1 you need the homebrew toolchain

No, just thought you had an M1 since you said you had a macbook pro.

Iā€™ve already been advised (not here) to switch to brew to build the program properly. Initially, I tried building darktable on macports. Then, I removed macports completely so there would be no conflicts, and started building darktable via brew.
I see what you mean. Then I will try again to remove all packages from brew and build the program via macports.

There is a problem with the macports method (darktable/BUILD.txt at master Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub )

curl -L https://raw.github.com/darktable-org/darktable/master/packaging/macosx/pugixml-stdlib.patch | patch -d ~/ports -p0
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100   365  100   365    0     0    786      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   786
patching file textproc/pugixml/Portfile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 22.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file textproc/pugixml/Portfile.rej

And not just one > OSX: Patching Issues with build.txt and current macports packages Ā· Issue #11687 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub
Portfile.rej.zip (374 Š‘Š°Š¹Ń‚Š°)

And how did you create this current OSX Build - #441 by MStraeten build if it was created 7 days ago and the problem you describe here OSX: Patching Issues with build.txt and current macports packages Ā· Issue #11687 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub , 22 days?

There were no answers, or any of your comments.

Iā€™ve been waiting for someone to try nixpkgs on Darwin. darktable should compile or a binary should be available. Iā€™d love to hear some feedback.

Installation isnā€™t the easiest on the write-only parotion, but I assume that brew and macports have similar issues.

See the install instructions: Introduction

current master + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.9.0+1562~g3dc8bbe67.dmg
For a list of changes see Pulse Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub

this build requires at least osx 10.15; donā€™t forget to backup ā€¦

please donā€™t use this thread for osx build discussions in general - better start a separate thread for that, so here just the latest builds can be found.

1 Like

Getting the following error

Raj-iMac:~ raj$ /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all
0.000131 application_directory: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS
0.000224 darktable.datadir: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/share/darktable
0.000286 darktable.plugindir: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/lib/darktable
0.000344 darktable.localedir: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale
0.000391 darktable.configdir: /Users/raj/.config/darktable
0.000431 darktable.cachedir: /Users/raj/.cache/darktable
0.000484 darktable.sharedir: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/share
0.000747 darktable.tmpdir: /private/var/folders/73/1r1jl07d2zng7m2yw99_vmjm0000gn/T
[memory] at startup
[memory] max address space (vmpeak): unknown
[memory] cur address space (vmsize): 4580720 kB
[memory] max used memory (vmhwm ): unknown
[memory] cur used memory (vmrss ): 12812 kB
0.000787 new_xdg_data_dirs: (null)

(process:1009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 12:35:12.120: g_object_set: assertion ā€˜G_IS_OBJECT (object)ā€™ failed
0.124615 [init sql] library: /Users/raj/.config/darktable/library.db, data: /Users/raj/.config/darktable/data.db
[init] canā€™t create new images table
[init] table images_new already exists
[init] database `library.dbā€™ couldnā€™t be upgraded from version 35 to 36. aborting
ERROR : cannot open database

canā€™t reproduce.
keep in mind these are develop builds - there might be some builds in past that changed stuff later corrected or reverted. if your database was updated in such case there might be no upgrade path.
thereā€™s just one reliable database upgrade path: official release 3.8.1 or older to 3.9

last working version is

this is darktable 3.9.0+1362~ga1de270c4
copyright (c) 2009-2022 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
bit depth is 64 bit
normal build
SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
OpenMP support enabled
OpenCL support enabled
Lua support enabled, API version 8.0.0
Colord support disabled
gPhoto2 support enabled
GraphicsMagick support enabled
ImageMagick support disabled
OpenEXR support enabled
Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 12.44.07 pm

3.9.0+1562 working here on OS 12.4 with .nef pictures :grinning:, but the issue of crashing when trying to add a .dng file is still present. Interestingly 3.9.0+1362 is the last that can add .dng to the database without crashing. May be some issue related to the database in the last builds ?

I can confirm that the previous three builds fail to convert a library with dng files. Also, if one starts darktable without a ~/.config/darktable dir and imports Sony ARW files, darktable works as expected. Doing the same with dng files from a Sigma FP causes the program to crash.

So, itā€™s likely that something has changed in the way dngā€™s are read/supported between the last build that worked properly (3.9.0+1362~ga1de270c4) and the current one.

at least my database contains mavic pro dngs, so database conversion doesnā€™t fail for dng in general.

You need to start with a new database using 3.8.1, add some dng files and then open that with latest build. If that fails, then you might file an issue at Sign in to GitHub Ā· GitHub

you might try this build: darktable-3.9.0+1564~g1b292994f.dmg
according to Immediate crash with .dng from Samsung S21 Ultra Ā· Issue #11847 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub it seems to be an issue depending on GraphicsMagick library version. this build is made with GraphicsMagick 1.3.37

if you canā€™t reproduce the issue with this build then you should report this at github including a non working sample, so the issue can get fixed - or at least the official package can be build with an older GraphicsMagick version

keep in mind - no issue report at github, no fix :wink:

Just played with both of your suggestions, 3.8.1 plus update database and the +1564 build, neither one work for me. I will keep working with +1362 which is good for the dng for Mavic 2, as well as for the nef files from Nikon. Will see what the other Mac users find and will try to report at GitHub.

The same crashes in the crust. catching segmentation fault when importing dng raw files.

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all &> Desktop/log.txt
log.txt (365.3 ŠšŠ‘)

if you want that to be fixed, youā€™d better file an issue at Sign in to GitHub Ā· GitHub