darktable 2.6

In other languages: Français, Italiano. Following the tradition, darktable 2.6 was released for Christmas. 2018 has been a year of renewal for darktable, with many major features introduced by recent contributors. The announcement and release notes for this new release can be found here: /2018/12/darktable-260-released/. Among the new major features: A new retouch module, similar to the spot removal module with smart cloning (“heal”) and ability to act on each level of detail individually.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2018/12/darktable-26/
28 Likes

Awesome post, thank you very much as it’s so detailed and well explained. Off to have a go with 2.6 now.

Congrats to all the people who made this release possible. :slight_smile:

Wow, awesome, that will take some studying!
And oohh, there’s a Santa Hat! Takes me right back to the good old days on Flickr :).
Thank you, devs!

Amazing progress.
There is a chance of a typo here (as I could not find a way to suggest a fix via GItHub or similar):

When selecting a tag with isn’t a node leaf (i.e. a tag that has subtags), say, the “parent” tag:

you can report bugs or even open pullrequests here GitHub - darktable-org/dtorg

Looks like a great release! Nice intro text as well.
Thanks!

Congratulations and great thanks to the developers and testers.

What a release! :open_mouth:

Behind other great achievements, new parametric masking, improved color balance and new filmic module by @anon41087856 are just mind-blowing!

Big kudos to all darktable developers! :clap::trophy::1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

Indeed an outstanding release, and a great post showing the new features that does it justice.

Huge THANKS the darktable team and all the people supporting the project

amazing release. the filmic module allows me to do things I was never able to figure out in DT. but on top of the awesome work from @anon41087856, there are small UI tweaks I really appreciate in my workflow. my favorite, long-time, wishlist items are scrollbars and the better handling of rating in “grouped” mode: while there was a plugin to rate groups of images before, it never quite worked as well as the normal rating module. now I don’t need that plugin at all anymore, so kudos for that.

congrats again to the whole team, an awesome release!

1 Like

You can put in darktable.css

/* margin: 0; / / this makes scroll bars super wide. */
margin: 3;

for a margin of bar of more wide displacement

(translate google)

I totally agree. This is really a great release. Particularly the filmic and retouch modules mean a big step forward when it comes to processing my architecture shots :star_struck:
filmic because it allows such a great tone mapping and it became much more convenient to achieve the bright but still contrasty tones. (Nevertheless, it is great for so many pictures!)
And retouch allows to get rid of a lot of distracting stuff. And it is really astonishing how powerful it is. Not sure, if I could benefit from the frequency separation in architecture photography. But even without using this feature it gives great results.

before retouch

after retouch

:grin: thank you so much :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your outstanding work in the new release.

In the linked article “Filmic, darktable and the quest of the HDR tone mapping” there are some “Proper settings examples” for the filmic module. Is it possible to include them as module presets in darktable (I mean in the installation package)?

This would make the life of beginners easier since they can get ideas of how to use a module without learning the complex backgrounds of a module.

The development version, 2.7, has filmic presets and the saturation sliders have been reworked. So, if you can compile the git version of darktable then you can have them otherwise they probably wont be out until the next bug fix release (maybe).

Will version 2.6 added to the PPA for Ubuntu 16.04? In the OBS it is already present.

Yeah, I have added a ton of new presets in master:

• B&W film emulations in channel mixer
  • Fuji film emulations in color checkr
  • Kodak film emulations in color balance
  • deblurring presets in equalizer
  • usual dynamic ranges in filmic
  • minimal modules selections for each purpose (portrait, landscape, architecture…) in the darkroom.

So, I hope it will give more examples on how to use the modules.

That’s a question for Pascal de Bruijn, I guess. Not sure he will support an old LTS.

3 Likes

I am able to build it on 16.04, so technically there seems no obstacle. I just did not manage to find Pascals email address yet to ask him. Could you please find his address and ask?

If you have a Launchpad accoundt, you can find his contacts in his Launchpad page:
https://launchpad.net/~pmjdebruijn

However, if you read what’s written in the ppa page…

Please do NOT contact me about providing updates for anything. I will update things when I see fit to do so. I do NOT do requests!

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

K, sorry @aequalis, please ignore my stupid advice and do not contact Pascal. Isn’t there another source for ubuntu packages, with Opensuse or something similar? I have to research tonight … I would be happy to find a source as well, since I do not want to use my self compiled version for my production database, since I may have done something wrong.