darktable 3.8.0 released

newbie question here : for 3.10 , is there already a roadmap established ? Who decide what will be included or not ? How does it work for community-driven Darktable ? thx

There are no definite plans for the next version (4.0) but you can see the changes that are tagged for inclusion so far here. People submit proposals and they are merged or not at the decision of the maintainer.

Installed the win dt 3.8. It has crashed every time I used undo.

Thanks to all the developers and contributors! I have not been able to get it to read CR3 files. I tried installing from source as well as the package for Ubuntu 20.04. I read it needs a specific version of exiv compiled with a specific flag. Are there step-by-step instructions anywhere for how to install on Ubuntu to get CR3 support?

1 Like

I think the reasoning is that many LUTs expect small-dynamic-range sRGB input, which is only reasonably available after filmic.

At least that’s what I had to do manually in 3.6 in order to get my LUTs to render correctly.

2 Likes

Try the flatpak when it becomes available.

A big thanks to the developers and the community!

The Ubuntu 20.04 package downloaded from the OBS site, and installed on Linux Mint. I’ll be darned if I can see where the LUA scripts went though, they had been working on 3.6.1

Perhaps it’s an issue with darktable 3.8.0 needing a newer version of lua, which isn’t installable on Ubuntu 20.04 based distros?

Oh, now I get it. Yes, I belive it’s the same with rgb curve module. Default order is below filmic which does not make much sense. Good change!

Given you give 4.0 as the next version, a new major release, do you consider dropping deprecated modules?
I think it’s outstanding and commendable how darktable keeps backwards compatibility. However it also sounds like it’s a drag and sometimes even a big obstacle doing new development (keeping backwards compatibility usually is). I think it would be entirely justified to drop some old cruft after a deprecation period every now and then to make the devs lifes easier and more enjoyable. Obviously, that’s up to exactly those devs, I am just curious whether that’s been a part of choosing a major version bump as the next release.

1 Like

We never drop deprecated modules entirely. Generally the idea is that we put deprecated modules into the deprecated module group only and then 12 months later remove them from that group so that they are only available for old edits (unless you workaround by creating a style). I don’t think we’d consider removing entirely, we just don’t provide support for them. So you may still get broken old edits anyway. The code is just sitting there and it’s not really getting in the way.

Regarding 4.0, it was a choice between that and 3.10 and that was just the number we chose. IMO it looks better than 3.10, but that’s personal opinion (it looks too much like a decimal number to me so I can’t help thinking 3.10 == 3.1).

Honestly, there have been so many big changes in the last few versions that I doubt we’ll ever find a justification for calling anything a “major” release. We could have got rid of the major/minor distinction by just going to v40 or something but meh. It’s not that important.

5 Likes

Please never drop them. It would make me very uneasy about investing time editing in darktable. Destroying peoples edits because there’s a new shiny module (or workflow) would be a scary approach. Say what you want about Lightroom, but at least there are Process Versions that let you edit an image from the first version of LR today, exactly as you did in the first LR version.

5 Likes

I opened my Darktable Christmas present and what I notice straight out the box is some great improvements. I have some very noisy images that I use for teaching and LMMSE demosaic is incredible at reducing the noise from the start of the process, then the denoise profile defaults are now brilliant, filmic also works better, the AA sharpen preset in the new diffuse or sharpen module is great to apply to noisy images and I can avoid sharpening the noise in shadows by using a parametric mask. This program just continues to get better and better. Well done to all the developers.

Kudos to the developers for their hard work!

In my initial testing, I’ve found a minor issue with the watermark module.

Platform: Mac Pro late 2013 (trashcan), macOS Monterey 12.1.

I use an SVG graphic as a watermark and usually place it in the lower right corner of the image. Under darktable 3.8, the watermark is no longer in the corner, but displaced upward, as if it had a taller bounding box. I checked the SVG file and its canvas dimensions are exactly the size of the image contents.

Photos I had previously watermarked in darktable 3.6 look fine in the pre-rendered thumbnails, but when I open them in the darkroom, the watermark moves up as described above, and the new thumbnail shows the moved watermark.

I’ll attempt to reproduce this on my Linux box in the next couple of days.

@SVChucko please file a bug on github.

Will do. I presume I should attach the sidecar file as well?

Filed as #10685.

1 Like

On Archlinux Just changed from the 3.7-git version (AUR) to the regular 3.8 version. Thanks to all who contribute to this wonderful software.

the guys doing the job decides, what they are doing and only stuff that’s done will be in the next release :wink:
It’s a kind of meritocracy…

2 Likes

Exiv2 0.27.4 or later built with bmff support is needed to enable cr3 support. bmff support isn’t enabled by default…