darktable 3.8.0 released

Please read How to Report Bugs Effectively

1 Like

3.8.0 on Flathub now! Anybody know if it should run nicely beside 3.6.1 installed via Official Repositories (community) in Manjaro?

Also waiting for t3mujinpack update :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do they need an update?

You can’t share the database between 3.6.1 and 3.8.0 (see the release information. Apart from that, both will probably run

Darktable is a great piece of free software - thanks to all developers and merry christmas still, by the way :wink:

I was really excited about the CR3-Support, but can’t get it working with Ubuntu 20.04:

• compiled exiv2 ( v0.27.5 with BMFF enabled)
  • compiled libraw ( 0.20.2)
  • even did a reboot (bad habbit from ancient Windows-times… :wink: )

Any pointers, what to do / check / … ? Or where to ask better than here - but I guess, I’m not alone with this problem.

PS - the flatpack - didn’t try this one, as I presume that all my customization, my database, everything would be lost if I switched…

@felix welcome and happy holidays!

Do you have the system exiv2 installed? You have to make sure cmake finds your custom install.

Also you don’t need libraw, we are using an in tree version of libraw which is more recent than the version you’re using.

Take a look through the build log and make sure its finding the right exiv2 and that the internal libraw is turned on.

You might also try the flatpak, if that suits you.

Yeah, saw that. But does the Flatpak version share the same database location as the the one from the repos? Does Flatpak use ~/.config/darktable/ or does it place the library and other config files elsewhere?

EDIT: Seems it should go to ~/.var/app/$app_id/ for Flatpaks, right?

Hi @paperdigits - thank you!

I checked dpkg --status exiv2, and it’s not installed.
PATH seems to be set alright, because ~$ exiv2 --version gives me 0.27.5.

Is there a way to check whether bmff-support works with exiv2? I tried $ exiv2 pr some-cr3-file. This seemes to work…

What do you mean with “check the build log” - the exiv2-build log or darktable? For the latter - I use the ppa…

Yes, that is correct

Yeah that’s the problem, because the PPA isn’t built against your local exiv2. You’d need to build darktable locally as well.

Thanks for conforming! :raised_hands: No risk for collisions then.

Thanks! If I’ll build darktable myself (never done that before…) - will it use my settings in ~/.config/darktable or is everything there lost?

And just out of curiosity - if the ppa-Version isn’t using my exiv2 - why is it using a “not working one” at all?

Same settings location. But of it isn’t, you can move those files, like if you wanted to try the flatpak for instance.

The b&w presets use channel mixer, which is deprecated.

1 Like

absolutely conquer, never remove the deprecated modules. I have spent a hell of time editing with crop & rotate, I have no interest to spend 100’s of hours redoing the same thing with the new trendy modules

3 Likes

I think I’ve found some strange bug (or undocumented change of behavior):

• on 3.6.1, when omit hierarchy was not selected in the export preferences, category tags where not exported. Selecting the option only exported the tip of the hierarchy
  • on 3.8, when omit hierarchy is not selected in the export preferences, category tags are exported. Selecting the option exports all the non-category tags (like the non-selected behavior of 3.6.1)

The behavior on 3.6.1 was consistent with the tooltip of the option, that says “only the last part of the hierarchical tags is included. can be useful if categories are not used”.

Before I file a bug, can somebody confirm this is how 3.8 is behaving now, and/or if it is intended to work like this in the future?

The new module is color calibration, which has B&W presets that are more closely aligned to the underlying film emulsion characteristics (the B&W presets in the old channel mixer were actually a bit of a fudge…)

You should be using the libraw from dt not a separate compile as the current stable libraw does not have support for a lot of camera. The best solution would be to use the darktbale 3.8 source tarball distributed on the release page in GitHub.

We have said an repeated so many time that it is a bit depressing… Again dt will never ever remove any module and old edits from the inception of dt should still be valid today and will be in many years. Please spread the words, seems like this is a common unfunded fear.

5 Likes