darktable 4.6.0 for older macOS versions (10.14 & 11.3)

the official packages requires at least macOS 12.5 so here are inofficial builds with target release 10.14 and 11.3:

darktable-4.6.0_arm64_macos11.3.dmg (macOS >= 11.3)
darktable-4.6.0_x86_64_macos10.14.dmg (macOS >= 10.14)

like my development builds (current OSX Build ) this package contains some additional lensfun data from Kameratrollet .

Since 10.14 and 11.3 isn’t supported and tested by the development team, don’t forget to backup first - since you can’t go back once your xmps and databases are updated…

The packages aren’t codesigned so you might run it first time via right mouseclick + open or allow execution via terminal: " xattr -c <path/to/application.app> "

3 Likes

Hi Martin, great work doing this for the old operating system. I was wondering why these links are not included on the official download page? I have shared the link to this post with my past students.

The project only supports recent versions of macOS.

Hi Mica,
Thanks for your reply. I understand that only the recent versions of macOS are officially supported, but since someone so kindly donated their time to offer a version for older systems I was wondering why the barrier to the repository for that download? Maybe a disclaimer could be added that this is not an official download.

see first line …

btw: the 11.3 arm64 build is made on the same machine using the same toolchain as used for the official arm64 build :wink: just the deployment target is changed.

since my whole macports toolchain for arm64 is built with deployment target 11.3 i’m using darktable development builds with that deployment target - so i won’t expect any issues with that build.
(and also not with the x86_64 build since there weren’t any issues reported from those using my development builds targeting 10.14)

Unfortunately my experience is that disclaimers are not read in most cases. And people simply start complaining if something does not work as expected. Unfortunately.

Well anyway. Great job Martin.

I’m glad people appreciate that Martin spends his time to make things available for older systems, that is one of the great things about free software.

darktable is already really thin on macOS specific developers, and they’re spending the available time to support the current macOS releases. The project should not distribute things that the project has no intention of supporting. Its a weird mixed message.

People who know can get the installer here, that’s great. That’s what community is for.

FWIW, i’m pretty disappointed that all of the builds can’t be done that way.
That was the solution i was pushing for in
[Meta-bug][WONTFIX] Please resolve OSX packaging situation · Issue #13509 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub,
because then macOS would no longer be the lowest common denominator
on the oldest compiler version to support.

(I, somewhat, understand why it is the way it is, sure.)

the github runners used for the nightly and official x86_64 builds depends on homebrew - in difference to macports a deployment target can’t be set to older versions there.
macports itself targets macOS11 (and currently no dependencies are broken with deployment target 10.14) - so at least the dependencies of darktable are actively maintained…

Yup. As i said, i see that there is some basis as to why it is the way it is.

@MStraeten,

Thank you very much for spending your time to provide these packages. I’m stuck on a 2012 Mac Book Pro running Catalina, and Darktable is the only decent option available to me for my post-processing, until I can afford a new laptop (which is no time soon, sadly).

Happy Holidays to you and yours, and thanks again!

Paul

2 Likes