darktable 4.8.0 released

I think the interface is quite similar to the old color zones.

For example, on the hue tab, you can shift a green towards blue or yellow. Line in the middle is the original hue, above and below it are the hues you can shift it to. Compare:

You can selectively change saturation similarly how the chroma adjustment worked in color zones: raise the control to increase, lower to reduce:

Finally, you can adjust brightness like lightness - raise to brighten, lower to darken:

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/module-reference/processing-modules/color-zones/#pixel-manipulation-curves

4 Likes

You can click to reveal sliders in the UI in addition if that works… might be good for recipe or presets as you can dial-in numbers

1 Like

I’ll join in the appreciation of all the work done by the developers and those that contribute with documentation etc.
I really feel privileged to be able to use such a fantastic tool as dt.
Thanks to all!

1 Like

Hello. I probably missed something but could someone explain why 4.8. drops support for Monterey. I have of course read about the new policy since version 4.4. but Monterey is still officially maintained by Apple. So I don’t get it. Thank you.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 22.23.30

You can use this build: darktable 4.8.0 for older macOS versions (10.14 & 11.0)
same codebase, same build system as the 13.5 build - just different deployment target :wink:

2 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Win.MxResIcn.Heur.Gen

Cool. What I’m interested in figuring out is how its use case would differ from the other main colour modules, particularly rgb primaries but also color balance rgb. Also, all those other nice looking mystery sliders at the bottom of the module…

I’ll try that now

| kofa István Kovács Supporter
June 28 |

• | - |

Can you download the exe in the browser on your phone, and then upload it to the online checkers?

I got the same as under Windows and Linux: 2 heuristic warnings on VirusTotal:

virustotal.com

VirusTotal

VirusTotal

Jotti: I forced a new scan. Still clean. Could you compare the SHA1 hash reported by the scanner with what’s reported for you?

https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB/filescanjob/4vuunzue2y

Jotti reported the hashes:
MD5: 41b461a70df4734bfe293cdc44bd5578
SHA1: b6f9fe4140caeb03b8d3580be26dccf0245b

If you get different hash values, then your file is different!

Don’t know why my reply did not appear here. I downloaded 4.8.0 on my phone, but when using Jotti or Virus Total, neither will allow me to choose the file to scan.

@aptillie I moved all replies to the other thread since you are having the same conversation in parallel threads, which distracts from the topic of this thread. Please use the other thread for your virus issue.

1 Like

I just uninstalled the darktable 4.6 flatpak and installed the darktable (4.8) flatpak again. Went fine, no errors.

From my perspective, the new color EQ is basically providing direct access to hue/chroma/lightness per individual colours without needing to use masks.

You can do everything it does with multiple masked instances of colour balance RGB, but it’s so much bother for a few minor tweaks compared to just nudging the curves in the EQ. It’s become a regular part of my workflow already :).

Maybe irrelevant, but it’ll also help any migrants from Adobe Lr to feel at home, as a very similar set of controls is one of the primary means of colour control in Lr.

RGB primaries doesn’t really target individual colours - it’s matrix or channel based thing really, as I understand it. Plus the tint which is basically a conveniently mask-able WB adjustment.

This is just my understanding - stand to be corrected (as always).

2 Likes

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Do you find the blue slider is off of true blue?? I find blue falls towards cyan and lavender is a little past but closer to blue when you look at the vectorscope of a test image… if you shift the nodes curve like 22.5 then blue lines up fully with blue but of course then all the other colors are shifted… I feel like I noticed this from the outset when the module was first introduced… it may be some sort of colorspace thing… but for me in this tool blue is not bang on blue if it is supposed to be??

Haven’t noticed it… but I’m not very analytical with my usual usage. Certainly don’t use the vectorscope I’m afraid. :wink:

I have felt that the green node seems nearer blue, but had assumed it’s just a perception thing.

I shall consider it further…

The nodes are meant to be equidistant from one another. This will mean that most (all?) of the node names will be approximate. I vote to remove the names and sliders from the UI. Problem solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get it . But all the others seem to line up just not blue. I think the sliders might be useful for a preset as a numerical way to present a tweakable preset might come in handy. I use the picker and then move the nodes usually anyway or I know that generally lavender has more impact on blue… I was just curious why it seemed to be the one most off the mark …

1 Like

Any reason why you don’t use the vectorscope for color grading?? If you place samples on there you can really visualize what you are doing to selected colors and the overall image… It’s worth exploring imo

1 Like

Not really - no interest I guess :crazy_face:

I suppose that (for me) as I’m adjusting the image, I feel all the info I need is right there in the darkroom preview? For me, extra technical info about the colours doesn’t give any advantage compared to looking at the colours in the actual image…

Not sure I’m making sense.

Why not just look at the image? Honest question, not being argumentative :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So if you are trying to rotate a color or move it in a certain way you can see this and use it as a guide for your adjustment…you can see the color distribution and often confirm a color cast looking at the vectorscope. You can assess color distribution around the white point and make corrections to shift things better… if you apply a tint in primaries for example you can manage and visualize that… I am sure others can also suggest ways that they use it… the waveform and traditional histogram have their purpose but when working with color I find it invaluable. It at the very least confirms that I am seeing what I think I am seeing… like many males for sure I have a touch of color blindness even though I manage to pass online tests to the contrary… I am not suggesting you change… you have a process and it likely works for you but when it comes to color adjustments I find it a highly useful tool to guide and inform what is going on in the image…

1 Like