Darktable editing video tutorials on Wild Earth

Hey guys, I am a wildlife photographer and I’ve been lurking around for a while. I use darktable exclusively for Raw editing (except when I am testing other software for fun). I decided to try my hand at making a darktable tutorial. It’s a tutorial on an example of parametric mask usage:

This is my first tutorial but I was hoping to make more, all on the theme of editing wildlife and bird photographs with darktable. My future plans are to focus on the specific challenges of wildlife photography.

34 Likes

Hi @JasonTheBirder welcome! Thanks for sharing your video.

@JasonTheBirder thank you! Nice video, good idea to create some videos focusing on your field of knowledge :+1:t2:

Thanks, @paperdigits and @Roland_Rainer :smiley:

Thanks for the tutorial. I appreciate how concise it is — either you are an excellent presenter, or you must have prepared very well (or a combination of the two :wink:). Often video tutorials drag on forever, taking half an hour to transmit some small amount of information, yours is the opposite. Nice work!

3 Likes

@Tamas_Papp Thanks, Tamas. I’m very glad you liked the conciseness! To be honest I wasn’t really sure how to make it. The reason why it is like that is because I recorded the audio and video as I was editing but then edited the audio a lot to make it like it was scripted. Then I just re-recorded the video again, following my own audio instructions, because it was a nightmare to get the recorded video to follow the edited audio.

From now on I’ll just skip recording the video the first time and use the instructions following method.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s some excellent generic advice for anyone producing short screencasts! Thank you, I agree with Tamas, the conciseness is really appreciated.

1 Like

I hope no one minds but I created another tutorial on one method I use for Denoising. This time I used the latest version, darktable 3.8. (If people get tired of seeing these updates, please tell me and I won’t post them)

14 Likes

Thank you, short and on point. Looking forward to future videos :slight_smile:
Just one issue: when you switch on Profiled Denoise (around 0:50), you do not select an ISO profile from the range.
When I switch on the module, dt suggests a profile, but I then have to manually select the profile I want. Did I miss some auto-settings?

This should be automatic, I’ve never seen it differently. How exactly does it look when you switch it on? Does it say “found match”, “interpolated from…” or something else? (interpolated just means, there is no profile for the used iso and it calculates one from two existing)

Can you show a screenshot?

2 Likes

It initializes with “found match”, but while taking the screenshot, I realized it does indeed apply the denoise automatically.
Sorry, my bad, everything`s fine.
Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I had a similar problem before where my camera wasn’t fully supported. In that case the denoise profiled module did work generically but didn’t have the profile for the camera.

1 Like

Thank you for making these video tutorials. They are short and concise, yet manage to relay the intention of the steps.

I also really like the magnified inserts to really show the noise in the pictures, which would otherwise be close to unnoticeable after YouTube’s video compression. The same goes for zooming in on certain widgets, as you use them, as I often watch videos on my tablet, where the modules appear too small to make out details.

You’ve just gained a subscriber to your channel.

Thanks for your feedback! I will keep up with the magnified pieces. More coming soon…

Here’s another really quick two and a half minute tutorial on brightening catchlights. I hope you like it:

5 Likes

Jason if you are going to keep adding your videos perhaps alter the thread name…eg Boris has an “Editing moments” thread that mimics his channel name and he drops his new videos there for comment and discussion…maybe this would be worth considering ?? Just a thought as the content has morphed from the title…

2 Likes

Thanks, Todd. I changed it! Good idea.

1 Like

@JasonTheBirder Welcome and awesome: the more contributors to FOSS tutorials the better. :slightly_smiling_face: I appreciate the birds but am definitely not a birder: have trouble identifying any of them let alone capturing them on camera. They just end up being blobs or blurs with my eyes or lens. Ha ha.

Some crazy apps out there to identify their calls …I think Cornell has an extensive site and an app??

1 Like

Nice…Looks like you might have a wild life / bird related spin on your videos so I thought it was best to help direct more people interested in your efforts to this thread/your channel with a more descriptive and targeted title…