darktable for Windows

Select text box in Inkscape and convert to path, menu Path → Object to Path

2 Likes

This solution worked! I believe your suggestion is a more straightforward way of doing things as opposed to the work-around I used which was to insert the text as an image; group both images; then flatten transparencies. Thank you, Sergei.

Conclusion: it was not Darktable’s fault, but a step I didn’t know about (and obviously missed) when using Inkscape. Now… going back to my next batch of exports!

w10_number_formats

If I run an program from an Lua script it opens a terminal window and the program itself. I don’t think that is intended. Here is an example script:

local dt = require "darktable"
local df = require "lib/dtutils.file"
require "official/yield"

local function show_status(storage, image, format, filename,
  number, total, high_quality, extra_data)
    dt.print(string.format("Export Image %i/%i", number, total))
end

local function notepad(storage, image_table, extra_data) --finalize
  os.execute("notepad")
end

dt.register_storage("module_notepad", "Open Notepad", show_status, notepad)

@houz
I’m very happy to hear!
I installed several times Linux but always had some issues and actually I’m quiet happy with Win10… So I looked for a lot alternatives to darktable, but to me it’s the best software (maybe besides the Adobe… but never tested).

Overall it works pretty fine and stable, but I found some issues:

• When I have edit a picture I can’t see high quality previews (by pressing z or lighttable with only 1 picture, not edited pictures look great) I already found the configuration (plugins/lighttable/low_quality_thumbnails=TRUE) but when I change it to FALSE, the file will change back immediately to TRUE after opening darktable…

• I can’t find the print module, I only have lighttable, darktable, diashow, map and tethering…

• Is there any way to scroll by mouse through the lighttable? (PageUp/Down I know…)

• With the previous version I had sometimes pictures with artefacts on int the lighttable preview and also on exported pictures (part of the image is repeated several times in the top of the picture…), but I can’t reproduce this now… (probably solved?!)

• And is there any way to slow down the export? Since I have a small Convertible, which gets pretty hot on exporting several pictures… I have tried with and without open CL, but can’t notice any difference, neither in speed nor in temperature…

My system: Win10@64 bit, i5-7200, Intel HD Graphics 620, 8GB RAM, SSD

It’s not intended, but I don’t see a way to fix it. It seems that Lua itself is quite broken on Windows. So unless we want to fork it we have to deal with all the bugs it has. :cry:

What do you see for those images? A skull? A black image? Maybe it just takes a while for darktable to compute the big preview?
What I noticed is that on Windows keeping z pressed is not working that great, the key repeat mechanism is kicking in and makes it flicker.

I already found the configuration (plugins/lighttable/low_quality_thumbnails=TRUE) but when I change it to FALSE, the file will change back immediately to TRUE after opening darktable…

Was darktable running while you were editing the file? The only code in all of darktable that is setting that value is when starting without any existing config so darktable tries to auto-detect some sane defaults.

I can’t find the print module, I only have lighttable, darktable, diashow, map and tethering…

Printing is not supported on Windows. darktable relies on Cups for that, which is not available for Windows.

Is there any way to scroll by mouse through the lighttable? (PageUp/Down I know…)

The mouse wheel should work fine.

With the previous version I had sometimes pictures with artefacts on int the lighttable preview and also on exported pictures (part of the image is repeated several times in the top of the picture…), but I can’t reproduce this now… (probably solved?!)

Hard to tell, just keep an eye open and report when it happens again.

And is there any way to slow down the export? Since I have a small Convertible, which gets pretty hot on exporting several pictures… I have tried with and without open CL, but can’t notice any difference, neither in speed nor in temperature…

That is a rather unusual request, most people want the opposite. :slight_smile:
darktable has no means to slow down the export. However, there is the undocumented command line switch -t that allows to limit the number of parallel threads used for computations. Try starting darktable with -t 1 and see if that is slow enough for you.

Remember to save another copy of your SVG work here, as doing this will make your text non-editable (as text) anymore. When I have to do this (to account for a font not being available on another system), I’ll have a working copy, then a separate copy (or copy of the text object inside the SVG) that gets explodes to paths.

2 Likes

when i tried to run for the 1st time … is it safe?

@Syed_Abulhasan_Rizvi Welcome to the forum! It should be safe as long as you acquired dt from a reputable source. dt devs are awesome people! Antivirus software are often overzealous and flag false positives.

1 Like

It should be save if you got the installer from here.

1 Like

yes from here only installed in the root drive C and not in program files folder. thanks :slight_smile:

ok thanks :slight_smile:

The image will be shown but in a blurry bad quality way…
I have no problems with flicker.

It was not running but I’m not sure if I understood the config concept right? I always configured inside darktable with the gear symbol. I found this site and tried the configuration with the darktablerec file but after opening darktable the configuration will be reset.

This I already know, I was hoping there is a faster scrolling for a large number of pictures…

Is this the same configuration as inside the gear symbol configurations under central options → number of background threads?
Probably is the better way to limit CPU speed via Windows energy options…

Thank you very much for the fast response!

So I did extensive testing on this. There are 3 potential places where you can configure regional settings:

• User locale
  • System locale
  • The Windows display language /language pack

I have tried to set user locale to French (France), error is not reproducible with dt (gui set to fr), GPS coordinates are read properly are read properly
I have tried to set system locale to French (France) restart, error is not reproducible with dt (gui set to fr) GPS coordinates are read properly

Now my Windows is English and I did not want to fully obfuscate with a French language pack. Looking at the screenshot from @csierra02 it looks like you have a French Windows (you can see that at System d’unites de mesure = “Metrique” - if your Windows display language is English you see System d’unites de mesure = “Metric”)

So that third case should be / could be tested.

Hi, I have a problem with the enter colors profiles, I can’t find where they are.
The directories that appear in the information buble does not exist.

Profils-1

In addition, the listed list does not suit me. These are the mine I want to have, the ones I have in System32/Spool/Drivers/Color. (It the same for output profiles).

Profils-2

Profils-3

At worst, I could have copied them if I had found where Darktable is waiting for them.
Regards

I put ICC profiles on these location: C:\Program Files\darktable\share\darktable\color\in (and out) and working fine for me.

I’d put them into the user file and not the install directory. The latter might be cleared when updating darktable. I didn’t try it, they might be kept, but better safe than sorry.
The folder itself is not created by default, so go to C:\Users\Pascal\AppData\Local\darktable\ and create the folder color in there. Inside that you need to create in and out folders.

I’m also interested in the debug output from my last build. That should tell us if darktable does something wrong, or if exiv2 is giving us a localized string.

That sounds as if darktable was still calculating the bigger preview. Try hovering over the image, hitting z, releasing it, waiting a few seconds, then hit z again. Does it now show the proper resolution?

What program did you use to edit darktablerc? It needs to be a text editor writing plain text files, not Word or something similar.

No, it’s not.