darktable for Windows

Notepad2 is a lightweight, very fast, open source basic text editor, that has no problems with different encodings and line endings. It is what MS Notepad should be, so to say.

If you create a darktable shortcut to your desktop, you can right-click on it. Than in properties you can add:

--conf ui_last/gui_language=C

, like I did here with another commando. Dont forget one space between darktable.exe" and commando:

This is in Dutch, because my Windows is in Dutch, but I hope you understand.

@paperdigits

When the program language is different from the usermanual language, it is very difficult to learn the modules. Therefore, when translating a program, the manual should also be in the same language. It is also difficult to follow other examples of using the program if the languages are different.
That is why I would like to have a good English-language program in Finnish win10 at this time.
I had the same problems with LinuxMint. The problem was removed when I used the following command in the terminal: LANGUAGE = en LANG = en_GB.UTF-8 darktable.

Hi guys
Excellent app for us Windows users.Only thing is regarding tethering, I have another 3 apps which use the existing Windows driver for tethering my Nikon D5500 and they work ok, if I remove this and use the suggested driver for Darktable I’m not sure the other apps would work or is it possible to choose the driver for the app?.
Thanks
Steve

@iarga You wrote: Dont forget one space between darktable.exe "and Commando.
That was it. Now Darkable starts in English.

@houz You gave the help: Could you try passing the following parameter to darktable when starting:
–conf ui_last/gui_language=C

You were right. This little “space” was a problem.

Thank you !

I was already for test reasons using a very short time the darktable 2.0 windows version from 1.5 years ago, but never went deeper into it.

Today I installed the recent alpha pre-release.

My first offer to help (beside reporting bug reports) would be to help add a full Camera RAW support and lenses. I saw Panasonic DMC GH5 and some of the Lumix lenses eg the Aspherical Leica 12-60 mm could need some support. Same for the Panasonic DMC-LX100. It seems the Information about focal length etc. can’t be read correctly. So some parts (like with the LX100) is for bug report …

Anyway who knows where I can start offer the GH5 support? I mean giving example RAWS etc., maybe doing more if I understand how todo it.

OK, before that, could you please run:
darktable.exe -d camctl
and after closing share the contents of the darktable-log file, which you can find:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt

Anyway who knows where I can start offer the GH5 support? I mean giving example RAWS etc., maybe doing more if I understand how todo it.

You can upload Raw examples here:
https://raw.pixls.us/

RPU already contains the full sample set for that camera.
Also, GH5 is already supported in dt, unless you are talking about lens corrections, which is not dt problem, Lensfun Lensfun

Both. Because I didn’t see everywhere YES for the GH5 (apart from the typo there where it says DC-GH5 instead of DMC-GH5) on this list: camera support | darktable and when importing the RW2 I had an error message (didn’t took note) and which was later gone. So I wasn’t sure about the camera profile support.

I saw a lens I use is missing and Leica will bring out two other lenses soon I’m interested to buy.

And I wasn’t yet deep enough into Darktable to realize if the lens correction does recognize automatically the camera model and lens based on the EXIF information stored in the RW2 and assign it automatically or not … had only 30 minutes with Darktable so far with that version. But it is already so much better than the Corel Aftershot Pro 3 with their nearly non existend Camera profile support and nearly non existent lens correction support.

Well, those are two different cameras. You can thank panasonic for that.
So for DMC-GH5, start with uploading the full sample set (all 4 aspect ratios, of the same static scene), and then open an issue.

Hello Roman, you are right. Sorry, Up to now I didn’t realize that it is DC-GH5 not DMC-GH5 like with the GH4 and older … Anyway the GH5 has a few NO in the list that’s why I was thinking some contribution is required. I stop now posting and when I have time I review what I saw and see if I can help.

Hi Peter

darktable-log.txt result

I think you have not uploaded the file.

darktable.exe -d camctl|
and after closing share the contents of the darktable-log file, which
you can find:
C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt|

Als give a try changing the following environment variable:
CAMCTL
to: C:\Program Files\darktable\lib\libgphoto2\2.5.14
Hi again Peter
Tried this but still Nikon D5500 not detected.
Steve

Apologies, the environment variabel name is CAMLIBS - that’s what libgphoto is using

if you open a cmd prompt what is the result of:
echo %CAMLIBS%

The existing installer had a wrong path - this will be fixed in next release. Also please note if you change an environment variable on the Windows Control Panel UI the changes do not take effect until you log off and then log back on. You can always test whether the env change has propagated by launching cmd and type echo %CAMLIBS%

Hi again Peter

Running echo CAMLIBS gives -

D:\darktable\lib\libgphoto2\2.5.14

regards

Steve

The Windows 10 version seems to have the same bug like on my linux system.
When moving the mouse in the lighttable over the pictures the CPU goes like crazy…
Should I file a bug, especially for the windows 10 version? If not, here is the bug, which I opened a couple of month ago: https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/11572

Used it a couple of times on WIN10 and it works wonderful, no problems so far. What an incredible software!!!

Tested on Windows 8.1 pro and it works smoothly. But I wonder why it doesn’t use OpenCL. darktable-cltest gives the following results:

[opencl_init] opencl related configuration options:
[opencl_init]
[opencl_init] opencl: 1
[opencl_init] opencl_library: ‘’
[opencl_init] opencl_memory_requirement: 768
[opencl_init] opencl_memory_headroom: 300
[opencl_init] opencl_device_priority: ‘/!0,//’
[opencl_init] opencl_mandatory_timeout: 200
[opencl_init] opencl_size_roundup: 16
[opencl_init] opencl_async_pixelpipe: 0
[opencl_init] opencl_synch_cache: 0
[opencl_init] opencl_number_event_handles: 25
[opencl_init] opencl_micro_nap: 1000
[opencl_init] opencl_use_pinned_memory: 0
[opencl_init] opencl_use_cpu_devices: 0
[opencl_init] opencl_avoid_atomics: 0
[opencl_init]
[opencl_init] found opencl runtime library ‘OpenCL.dll’
[opencl_init] opencl library ‘OpenCL.dll’ found on your system and loaded
[opencl_init] found 1 platform
[opencl_init] found 2 devices
[opencl_init] device 0 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400' supports image sizes of 16384 x 16384 [opencl_init] device 0 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400’ allows GPU memory allocations
of up to 356MB
[opencl_init] device 0: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 1426MB
MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 512
MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS: 3
MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES: [ 512 512 512 ]
DRIVER_VERSION: 10.18.14.4578
DEVICE_VERSION: OpenCL 1.2
[opencl_init] compiling program demosaic_ppg.cl' .. [opencl_fopen_stat] could not open file C:\Users*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft
\Windows\INetCache\darktable/cached_kernels_for_IntelRHDGraphics4400/demosaic_pp
g.cl.bin.a9fb114d983b3f1a3026021ee2f96f1d’!
[opencl_load_program] could not load cached binary program, trying to compile so
urce
[opencl_load_program] successfully loaded program from `C:\Program Files\darktab
le\share\darktable/kernels/demosaic_ppg.cl’
[opencl_build_program] could not build program: -43
[opencl_build_program] BUILD STATUS: -2
BUILD LOG:

[opencl_init] failed to compile program `demosaic_ppg.cl’!
[opencl_init] FINALLY: opencl is NOT AVAILABLE on this system.
[opencl_init] initial status of opencl enabled flag is OFF.

press any key to exit