Darktable shadows and highlights vs tone equalizer

Hi!

I have just given a try, basically trying to use the recommendations / methods of Boris Hajdukovic as well as I can :sweat_smile:.

190918-T10X2232.raf.xmp (14.1 KB)

Best regards
Ariel

3 Likes

Did you try setting “preserve details” to none? I know it sounds counter intuitive but turn on the mask setting and then turn on and off preserve details and I think you will see something interesting.

Is that a custom plugin or one that comes with Gimp or gmic??

It is a custom plug-in which I created. It creates multiple layers each of which has a mask. Each mask is effectively a “zone” of luminosity, but with a small amount of overlap between masks.

1 Like

Ah yes I have seen this done I think Pat David did a Gimp article back some time ago and Michael Davies has as well.

In case you are interested, here it is: GimpScripts: Equal Luminosity Masks Ver. 1.2

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

@priort
I used the Pat David luminosity masks (as scripted by Saul Goode) for several years. Eventually this plug-in stopped working - I think as a result of an upgrade to GIMP. That started me on a long journey to create my plug-in with much help from other people.
It is more akin to the Ansel Adams zone concept, in that it makes ten equal independent masks ranging from the darkest to the brightest parts of the image. A copy of the original image is stretched to the full dynamic range and then divided into ten “chunks” to create the masks. The division is done with curves so that there is a slight overlap between masks otherwise it would be impossible to achieve a blend at the transition.

All the usual controls - hue, saturation, contrast, brightness, curves, etc. can be used on a masked channel without affecting the adjacent ones.

I also find it useful for solving difficult masking problems, frequently using the created masks in combination.

The latest version (Revision 10) can be found at Updated Luminosity & Saturation mask plug-ins - GIMP LEARN

1 Like

Thanks for sharing…

@david, I honestly think this is the best edit of this image, so far. :+1:

It used to be in the user manual, but seems it was removed. Not sure when that happened, but here is a link to page where it used to be mentioned why the use of shadows and highlights is not generally advisable:

Yes I think you wrote that originally, based on the RGB article. But still it doesn’t say “that shadow highlights is bad and never to use it”. I don’t ever recall seeing it stated in such black & white terms. That text was replaced with the new processing guide we wrote last year but such warnings are now in the module reference sections of the user manual.

I gave it another try …

190918-T10X2232_02.raf.xmp (10.5 KB)

1 Like

It’s really not what it is about.

Shadows and highlights shift shadows to muddy blue because it works only on the L channel of Lab space, that is at constant chroma in a space that has problems in the blue area. Working on shadows should be made at constant saturation, aka through an exposure compensation.

Darkening at constant chroma makes colour go past the greyness boundary and may produce out-of-gamuts. See Engineering | Color saturation control for the 21th century

The colour model used for this purpose is not suitable. Tone EQ on the other hand travels at constant saturation, so any colour in-gamut before is guaranteed to be in-gamut after, and there should be no colour shift because it’s simply exposure.

11 Likes

Thanks Aurélien for your considered and polite response. I am truly appreciative of the work you do with Darktable and how you bring a totally new approach to the processing. I love your work with Filmic and the Tone Equalizer. I also love the new modules you are creating. Keep up the great work. Your understanding of color science is amazing and the fact that you are now working on Filmic V6 means that you continue to learn and improve your own tools. Have a great week.

7 Likes

Using tone EQ on gradients is misleading. The masking is meant to isolate foreground from background while following edges, based on contrast detection. There is no point for masking if you have a a smooth gradient like that, in this setup, tone EQ will behave like any tone curve with simply a different interface.

And why should S&H be the reference here ?

Take a picture with some vivid colours and sharp objects in back lighting, you will see how S&H will damage your colours.

We only understand algorithms by looking at how they fail.

4 Likes

My version…

190918-T10X2232.raf.xmp (27.8 KB)

4 Likes

love this version except for the sky which is murkier than the reflection :wink:

1 Like

It has a trick… the reflection changed places.

2 Likes

It is not the reference, but one of many possibilities.

The tone equalizer is recommended as a replacement for shadows and highlights.

But I can’t get the same result as with shadows and highlights.

I also can’t get the same result with it as someone else did with the Tone equalizer unless I know the individual values ​​for the sliders.

I think this is due to the setting of the mask.

But I probably just don’t have the experience here. Nevertheless, I find it very difficult in contrast to other modules.

The algorithm of shadows and highlights may be worse and work in non-linear color space. But the module is simpler and if I like the result for a photo, then why should I use the more complex module.

It’s simpler because it takes shortcuts, and those shortcuts will come back in your face when you least expect it. Broken clocks still give the accurate time twice a day, doesn’t mean you should trust them in general.

3 Likes