darktable windows insider program 11/19

Here’s the link to the latest weekly snapshot of darktable 4.5, darktable-4.5.0+1249~g39c3ce0e55-win64.exe - Google Drive. The list of latest changes is at Comparing e6ef3aa7e3…39c3ce0e55 darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

7 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing.

Have they been added in the features in this release?

The information in git-hub is not very clear to lay users…

We are at feature freeze. This will be the 4.6 release after we fix bugs. From now until release it is all about removing bugs. The more folks use it now, the more likely we will find and fix them before release.

1 Like

You can find the in-progress version of the release notes at https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES.md

1 Like

Hi Bill,

AVAST antivirus issues malware warnings for

11/19

11/12

No warnings for 11/5

Are those false positives or should they be taken serious ?

Thx anyway for uploading :wink:

99% chance its a false positive.

See posts 2, 3, 4 and 11 here: darktable windows insider program 11/12 (from last week).

I uploaded the 11/19 snapshot to virustotal. This time I got 2 hits, Avast and AVG, both with Win64-EVO-gen[Tri].

I checked to see what had changed since 11/5 and the only 2 things were a windows update and a google chrome update. This system is purpose built for building and testing darktable, so the only times it runs are on Sundays when I build the weekly update or when I’m troubleshooting a problem.

I did a virus scan while the system was running and another while it was shut down and neither found anything.

As a final check, I built a new VM with windows 10, updated it, then installed chrome. I installed the MSYS2 build environment, then downloaded and built darktable. I uploaded the result to virustotal and it didn’t get flagged by Avast or AVG.

So, it seems there is something in the current build system that gets put into the darktable package when it is built that Avast and AVG don’t like. The other 60 antivirus engines don’t see it. or don’t care, so I still think it’s a false positive.

However, to be safe I’ll start building on the new VM that I created today. I’ll also upload the generated package to virustotal to ensure there aren’t any more false positives (or real positives) before I upload and publish the link to them.

5 Likes

Bill, it’s simply insane how much trouble you go into to build every week. I think I would have given up long ago.

@pass712 : There are also automatic daily builds here: Release Darktable nightly build 20231126 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
You can copy the link to the exe and submit it to virustotal. Currently, they report a single warning: “ArcSight Threat Intelligence” labels the file as “Suspicious”.

1 Like

Besides, Avast and AVG are from the same nest, sharing the same AV engine and most often see the same “problems”, being quite trigger happy around rare/beta/foss programs. 99,9% false positive, a waste of your time.

Have all a nice day!

1 Like

Thanks @wpferguson for all the work you have done to make this available.
Thanks @kofa, didn`t know virustotal yet. Will give it a try.