Delete Film Roll

Remove works well, only problem is, when I right click on a film roll and say it has 65 images in it, it will only allow me to remove 1 image at a time. Is there a way I can remove the entire film roll?

Select a film roll:

Right-click:

Click remove:

Click Yes:

If, for some reason, this does not work, you can:

• select the film roll
  • press Ctrl+A or click select all in the right tab (expand the select module if collapsed)
  • click remove or press the Delete key on your keyboard
  • click Yes

I will have to try the second option. When I right click on any film roll, no matter how many images it shows, the remove images dialog box always asks " do you really want to remove 1 image from darktable…) It never comes up asking do I want to remove the actual number in the film roll.
I assume once I have cleaned up the film roll to just the images I need, I can re-import anything I have removed. Correct?
Thank you

You can always re-import anything; the XMP files will maintain your editing history, even if you made multiple ‘soft’ copies (duplicates).

Good to know.
Thank you

The second option does not work either. I right click on a film roll, then I either do CTRL A or Select All and the dialog box still asks me if I want to remove 1 image. It will still not allow me to remove all of the images in a film roll.
Any other suggestions I can try?
Thank You

Can you post a screenshot of the whole darktable window with that prompt visible?

I will try to do that later when I am at that computer tonight. How do I get a screenshot of that? Should I take a picture and then attach it as a file?

Yes. Windows should also send a copy of the screen to the clipboard when you press Print Screen on the keyboard; you can simply paste that here when composing a response message.

I’m using Windows 8.1 but I’m sure it works the same way. I will try to get that screen posted later this evening
Thank you

Attached please find 2 screenshots “Screenshot 4” shows “all selected”, Screenshot 5" shows just 1 selected.
As you can see, the dialog box in both screenshots asks if I want to remove 1 image.

Thank you

Sorry, I didn’t know the file name does not appear. Anyway you will see what I mean.

change the slider to show more thumbs and then try…I think you are also in culling mode…try the file manager mode…couple icons to the left at the bottom

EDIT : Funny I just tried and Ctrl A is not working currently for me…??? that is new

How do I switch to manager mode from culling mode? Then I’ll give it a try

I found file manager layout at bottom. Once I switched to that, it now allows me to remove all of the images in a film roll.
Thank you all for your help!

Sorry…I should have been more clear…that was what I meant by a couple of icons to the left…glad you have it working…

I was thinking that’s what you meant. All good.
Thank you again.

The manual is quite terse regarding the culling mode: darktable 3.6 user manual - culling
A description of all modes:
darktable 3.6 user manual - lighttable modes

You may want to read the 3.0 release notes (search for culling, it appears a few times):

There were some smaller updates in 3.2: darktable 3.2: containment effect! | darktable

I see there are 2 manuals. The online, and the pdf. The nice thing about the .pdf version is that it has an index where you will find “remove image” page 36 , Usage 2.3.8.1. The online there is no index and you need to hunt for the information, and although the index in the pdf version does not list everything, you at least get an idea as to where find something.
In the online version I have not been able to find anything about “removing” an image. In both versions, no where can I find where it tells you, you need to be in the file manager mode in order for all of the images to be removed from a film roll. At least I needed to be as pointed out above.
I’m not complaining at all, I just wanted to point that out. Still I’m finding darktable best for my photo editing needs.
Thank you