Denoise profile for Nikon Z9

My Nikon Z9 arrived today (about 4 1/2 months wait).
Has anyone generated profiles for this camera yet?

If not, I shall have to try it myself (I did it way back for the D810). I recall that there is currently some problem with the processing. Which thread was this in?

Lucky you :wink:

The problem was fixed on the master branch.

I doubt anyone generated the profile yet as the support still has to be manually patched in…

Please consider submitting the white balance presets as well.

1 Like

That’s good. Thanks.

What’s the current place to look for instructions on taking the files, and generating the noise profiles?

You may not have any noise with that bad boy :slight_smile:

The instructions still do not appear to work:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DBUILD_NOISE_TOOLS=ON ..
cd tools/noise
make
sudo make install

The cmake command works, and terminates with:

– Build files have been written to: /home/colinadams/darktable/build

note build, not …/tools/noise

cd tools/noise doesn’t work - I substituted cd …/tools/noise, but

[colinadams@fedora noise]$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Note this is with up-to-date git master. @kmilos says the problems should be fixed there.

Please advise.

The actual tool that generates the noise profiles is a bash script: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/tools/noise/darktable-gen-noiseprofile

If your darktable build succeeds and you have the other requires packages, then clone the darktable git repo and you can just run the script above in your terminal.

That fails because it says (right at the end):

ERROR: Could not find darktable-noiseprofile tool in /home/colinadams/darktable/tools/noise

(that is the directory where darktable-gen-noisprofile is present, but there is no darktable-noiseprofile executable)

You can grab a binary that has it enabled and grab the other noise tools from the OBS repo.

What binary? darktable-noiseprofile?
has what enabled?
What is the OBS repo?

Don’t know where this is coming from…

After the cmake ... build finishes, you should do cmake --install . and you should have everything in /opt/darktable/lib/darktable/tools

1 Like

Make Error at share/darktable/tools/noise/cmake_install.cmake:52 (file):
file INSTALL cannot find
“/home/colinadams/darktable/build/share/darktable/tools/noise/darktable-noiseprofile”:
No such file or directory.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
share/darktable/tools/cmake_install.cmake:57 (include)
cmake_install.cmake:51 (include)

Ah, you haven’t actually done the build, just the configure… The sequence should be:

cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DBUILD_NOISE_TOOLS=ON ..
cmake --build .
cmake --install .

Might need sudo in front of that last step…

@asn for instruction update (make assumes a certain generator was used, better stick w/ cmake commands?)

1 Like

Good. It worked this time.

What can I do with the generated presets.json file to use the profiles with my darktable, whilst waiting for the PRs to be processed?

PR for noise profiles: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/12277

I’ll do white balance presets later.

1 Like

You can test it out by adding into <your_dt_install_prefix>/share/darktable/noiseprofiles.json - you’ll have to be careful about the nesting, i.e. only add the relevant “model” block to the existing Nikon section, should be self-explanatory.

You can easily test your file with /path/to/darktable --noiseprofiles yourfile.json

Both methods work.

Thanks.

I’ll do white balance presets later today. (or possibly at the weekend, if I’m very busy)

Not sure what you had before this camera, but this camera is a beast. Similar sensor to the D850, which is excellent. At some point you need to actually go shottong with it!