digiKam 6.0.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, following the long stage of integrating a lots of work from students during the Summer of Code, and after 2 years of intensive development, we are proud to announce the new digiKam 6.0.0. Improvements and Fixes The new major version 6.0.0 introduce these new features: Full support of video files management working just like photos. An integration of all import/export web-service tools in LightTable, Image editor and Showfoto.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2019-02-10-6.0.0_release_announcement/
8 Likes

Great release! Gilles and the team, thank you for doing such amazing job!

If I try and use this feature, I get the error message (after selecting the “Continue with Facebook” option and logging into my Facebook account):

App Not Setup: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.

(I got a similar error in Digikam 5.x for some time …)

BTW., I am really looking to improvements here, a lot of people who I recommend Digikam to would use it more if the Facebook (and other service) export feature worked more easily (as it should with the new approach).

I like digiKam. Great software
main download links (windows) are broken here. digiKam - Download
good links here https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam/6.0.0/

1 Like

Working on fixing the links now.

1 Like

Do they have any plans for non-destructive editing as in “saving description of changes to .xmp”?

Just installed it at work to check out the windows version. An noticed that the splash image has a “BETA” stamp on in despite running the release version. Might confuse some people. Posting this here due to time constraints and as a heads up.

1 Like

5.9 version was working well… Now After updating to 6.0.0 it doesn’t start. The process is there in the task manager using 10 to 15 % CPU, but I can’t see anything… not even splash screen… I have to kill the process with the task manager.
Uninstalled it and installed 5.9 back… and now it doens’t start either… How can I debug this?

Start it from the command prompt and post the output here.

I would let digikam 6.0.0. run for a while.

I believe it does something with the database.

Once you switch to 6.0.0 you can’t go back to 5.9.0 because the database is slightly different

it doesn’t output anything on the command prompt.
I now have opened debugview and I get APISVR ERROR: 2 messages. and a lot of oci.dll not found messages. I think oci is something abour oracle? Maybe those messages are not from digiKam. confused.

You should still paste the debug output here.

My Upload to Google Drive feature suddenly quit working in 5.9.0. Is that because I need to switch to 6.0.0 for it to work again?

@Rick
Looking at the quote above the answer would be yes.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll upgrade and then see what happens.

in google photo export tool there is a new feature : album auto-create.

can you explain this ?

thanks

You used to have to create an album in Google Photos via browser and then upload images in it from digiKam. Now everything can be done in digiKam.

I have decided to try DigiKam for the first time. So I downloaded v6.

The first thing I notice is that the handbook is v5, and, even for some of the most basic Getting Started steps, the handbook is not helping because it is not the same as the program v6.

A simple example: Handbook/Getting Started says go to Settings → Configure digiKam → Collections, but DigiKam v6, at least on Mac OS, has no such menu item. Not good! I can’t even get started!

What I did see under Settings in v6 is “Database Migration”, but the Handbook does not include the word Migration at all. These two ‘first contact’ experiences tell me it is not going to be easy for new entrants like me, until we have access to a more useful updated Handbook.

Is it coming (very) soon?

thanks

I don’t have a mac, but that menu most definitely is there in v6 - nothing changed in that regard. In general the handbook should mostly apply, the v6 release did not change anything radically about the GUI.

That may be missing, but it’s not really relevant to get started with Syncthing, as it is there to migrate existing databases. And digiKam has a lot of functions, you don’t want to read and try out all of them before “using” it. Just go at it by task and if you don’t intuitively work out how to do it, check docs or ask.

OK so where do I find Configure DigiKam? It is not under Settings → Configure digiKam. No such menu item, for me.