digiKam Freezes when Right-Click a Tag

I recently updated to 6.4

This has happened twice in two days.

I right-click a Tag, I do not get the context menu, and everything about digiKam just freezes and will not respond.

The first time this occurred, I right-clicked a Tag in the left Tags column; the second time I right-clicked a Tag in the right Tags column.

On both occasions, I had already successfully right-clicked and edited a few Tags prior to the freeze-up.

On both occasions, I waited quite some time to see if it would finally respond and ended up having to use Task Manager to kill the program.

Has anyone else had this to happen ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Edit: About five minutes later = When I first created this thread, it was immediately after a freeze-up; I created the thread and then re-opened digiKam, gave it a minute to settle in, and the very first thing I did was to right-click a Tag.

This time, I did get a context menu; and, when I clicked ā€œPropertiesā€, everything froze-up again.

This now makes three freeze-ups in about 24-hours time, the last two consecutively.

2nd Edit: Another five , minutes later = another freeze-up.

Side effects that were brought about with each of these occurrences included all of my carefully selected and placed Tag thumbnails of each session disappeared and did not return; and, reopening digiKam after one of these episodes had me in strange territory and I had to navigate back to where I was.

I closed out of everything and restarted the machine a couple times; and, thus far, have managed to carry on without anymore freeze-ups; but, I am not going to hold my breath.

Iā€™m using 6.0.4 in Win10 and am not able to duplicate this problem. Iā€™m assuming youā€™re doing this from the Thumbnails view?

Yes; Thumbnails view, with the Tags tree visible on either or both sides.

I have done this thousands and thousands of times over the years = hilite a Tag, right-click it, and choose something from the right-click menu.

Just out of the blue, it started this freezing-up business.

So long as I did not right-click a Tag, everything else seemed to be working; and, at first, it was sporadic, allowing me to edit several Tags between freeze-ups, until it finally started freezing-up every time I right-clicked a Tag.

I never edit a Tag unless all images wearing that Tag are in the window and selected; I learned to make certain of that a long time ago.

Maybe this was just a freak software incident that hopefully will never repeat itself.

It seems fine after I closed everything and restarted the machine a couple times, but I have not edited a great many Tags since either; it may start doing this again.

Did it happen immediately after upgrading to 6.0.4? If not, I would have no idea what would cause that. Howā€™s your disk health? Is it possible something wasnā€™t being able to physically be written?

I had been using 6.4 for a few weeks.
System Disk is an almost new SSD.

I am fast getting disillusioned with digiKam.

After a couple restarts of the machine, the problem seemed to go away; then, I right-clicked a tag, chose ā€œPropertiesā€ and everything froze-up again.

I decided enough is enoughā€¦

I uninstalled digiKam, then reinstalled it; restarted the machine a couple times; opened digiKam, and the first thing I tried to do it froze-up AGAINā€¦

I have been having serious problems with my Linux Mint/digiKam as well.

I am considering uninstalling 6.4 and going back to 5.9 on the Windows machine.

I am not sure what is happening. (I am just a user as well).
You are free to choose digiKam version and OS for sure.
Hopefully you have a chance to get bug traces and send them to digiKam developers before you quit Mint and dk6.4.

On Linux:

If you installed digiKam from your distribution repository:

1. Make sure GDB is installed (http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/)
  2. Open terminal and run:
    2.1 gdb digikam
    2.2 (gdb) catch throw
    2.3 (gdb) run
  3. Proceed to step # 4 described below

If you use official appimage:

1. Open terminal

2. Launch your appimage with debugoption in the end, e.g.
    ./digikam-6.2.0-x86-64.appimage debug

3. Proceed to step # 4 described below

4. If digiKam crashes, you will get to the GDB command prompt. If digiKam ā€œjustā€ freezes, press CTRL-C to get to the GDB prompt. Once you are at the prompt, use the bt command, copy the backtrace and exit GDB as shown here:
    4.1 (gdb) bt
    4.2 (gdb) the_backtrace_is_here
    4.3 (gdb) quit

Sunday_31-May-2020
Update on my situation:

I completely uninstalled everything and installed digiKam 6.4 Stable Release and gave it one more try = it froze and crashed with the very first operation I performed = force closed, re-opened, and tried again two more times with the same result.

It finally dawned on me to try ā€œRun as Administratorā€

With digiKam 6.4 running ā€œas Administratorā€, I was able to successfully Tag and also edit Tags on several hundred images without a single crash.

With digiKam opened with ā€œRun as Administratorā€, everything I did seemed faster and more responsive.

Maybe it is in the instructions that the program needs be ā€œRun as Administratorā€ and I missed seeing it.

I wish I had thought of trying this back when I was having so many problems with the Tags search panel (left side of window)

No, you should not ā€˜Run as Administratorā€™. That is the mode for installing programs or updating system settings. It is not suitable for normal use. If you need to use it then there is something wrong in your setup somewhere. Continuing to use it in that mode is a security risk. It possibly suggests that your user does not have sufficient permissions to either the database files or else the photos.

All permissions are in order.

I have done a ton of searching and reading during all this and have read that there are several programs that just will not run any other way, regardless of permissions.

With all permissions in order, I can open digiKam normally and it will freeze-up within the first few maneuvers, if not at the very first; I can ā€œRun as Administratorā€ and not have the least problem with it freezing-up (so far).

I cannot fathom how a mere permissions issue could cause a program to immediately freeze and be totally unresponsive.

When running not as Administrator, It can write GPS data to the files and not freeze-up; the trouble starts when I try to edit a Tag or add an image thumbnail to a Tag.

Please expand on how running as Administrator is a security risk.

Do I need to switch off the Ethernet cable when running as Administrator ?

Thanks for your input.

Yup, there are programs out there that are so badly written that they do not work correctly without Administrator privileges. This does not mean that this is normal or correct. Its not.

A permissions problem can cause a lock up by a program attempting an operation and unexpectedly failing, it then goes and retries, again and again and ā€¦ it is now stuck in a tight loop not doing very much of anything else attempting an operation it did not expect to ever fail repeatedly.

As for it being a security risk, were a virus ever to find out how to infiltrate code into digikam, normally it could not do very much, but when run as Administrator that virus can now install its code into the system so that is game over, your system is completely compromised at that point, the virus will have control. Unplugging the network while running digikam wonā€™t help, the virus will be waiting in its new home in the system just waiting for the network to be restored.

1 Like

Staying out of administrator mode as much as possible also limits the effect of your errorsā€¦