Distro Fever VIII: The Maddening?

Maybe we should all get our great minds together and develop our own distro — we could call it PixlNux: The Photography-Centric OS (FOSS only, of course). :wink:

Actually, come to think of it, that’s not such a crazy idea!

2 Likes

Without too much effort we could maintain a set of overlays for NixOS :wink:

2 Likes

That would be PNTPCOS, right? (gotta have that acronym!!!) :crazy_face:

There are other topic-specific distros. I remember one for astronomy (I’ve not kept up with it) - Astronomy Linux

1 Like

Anyhoo, I missed how brisk and fast Neon was compared to Kubuntu (probably due to less bloat), so I’m back on KDE Neon, with KDE 5.27.2

1 Like

Why do you hop distros? I find that distros are rather similar these days, and hardware support is pretty comparable as well. So I mostly just stick to a sensible default and keep things stable unless there’s a specific problem.

If you distro-hop a lot, your motivations must be different. I’d love to chat about that. What’s your motivation for changing things, and what do you hope to see on the other side?

2 Likes

Moinchen, Bastian!

Since I originally started this thread in 2018 (Like in the Good Old Days! [Distro Fever]), I feel qualified to reply :slight_smile:

Why hop?

• It is fun.
  • I have a certain hardware combination that vanilla distros cannot handle.
  • I have a bunch of spare SSDs, so I can try new distros without harming my main machine, so to speak. When I find a “better” distro, I use it on my main machine as well.

What do I hope to see on the other side?

• Nirvana.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Schweden

5 Likes

Hi Claes-

Have you hopped on Nobara or Fedora in your journey. I wonder what you found if you did?

Best-

Hi @Marcsitkin,

Fedora? Yes, a few years ago, and it stubbornly refused to cooperate with my gfx.

Nobara? No, not yet.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I’m liking using Vmware player, straightforward and no hassle. I’m going to try to make sure all the silly things that I try which often result in some kind of breakage are in done a VM now but I’m not promising anything.
I like looking at other distros to see how they do things, ATM it’s looking at ones with fully configured window managers.

1 Like

Maybe it is time to try Fedora again? I hopped through many things - FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Suse, Arch, Manjaro, but in the end settled on Fedora. It has fresh packages, good hardware support and at the same time is pretty stable.

1 Like

Have you implemented a system backup? I’ve used timeshift in the past, but I understand that in Fedora 37 partitions need to be manually created with a @in the name.

I’ve tried Nobara on a VM, it seems to have taken care of that stuff on it’s own. I’m a little leary of support on that distro. It seems like they use a discord server for it, and it doesn’t seem to be a great place for help. Distro itself seems pretty nice so far.

@Marcsitkin

Now I have made a swift test of nobara as well.
Quick verdict: fast install. Recognized nvidia gfx.
Easy to install git versions of RawTherapee as well as darktable.

darktable clockings approximately 10% slower than on endeavouros and on kde neon.

Biggest problem so far: it takes ages to start darktable and/or rawtherapee.
For each start, nobara spams

ioctl (GFEATURE): Connection timed out

So, for the time being, my present favourite is kde neon.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Quick work Claes!

I get a darktable launch time of 3 sec in Zorin, bare metal 32gb.
I get a darktable launch time of 5 sec in Nobara running in a VM with 8GB ram.

I figure with my attention span that of a goldfish, I’m ok with the 2 sec difference. Gives me time to reminisce about the old days…

Seriously, I’m interested in your methodology, as I’ve never approached comparing distro’s in any rational fashion.

Thanks!

I’m a Kubuntu person, but my employer made Fedora mandatory on my work PC and it worked well. Didn’t have to use it much though (was provided a Windows machine by the customer I was working for) so never bothered to make it run KDE.

@Marcsitkin

… I’m interested in your methodology, as I’ve never approached comparing distro’s in any rational fashion.

Que? Rational??? Moi? (this would be a mis-quote from what?)
All I want is something that works the way I prefer…

I’m ok with the 2 sec difference.

Oh, I am not. Nobara slowed down my darktable with 0.496 seconds without openCL, and slowed it down with 0.214 seconds with openCL.

Gives me time to reminisce about the old days…

Can I interest you in a bunch of 3.5" Slackware v3.3 diskettes?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I recognize that what people find fun is highly subjective, but for me, installing Linux in the opposite of fun: >99% of the time it is a mechanical activity with an expected outcome, with a lot of waiting for the computer to download and extract files. Basically watching paint dry.

And of course <1% of the time it dealing with some hardware issue (finding the issue, googling for current status, fixing or scripting a workaround, etc).

Fun for me usually involves physical activity, learning something new, or spending time in the company of people I like. Installing a distro is staring at the screen, usually alone, and even when I learn something new it is of ephemeral nature, eg that kernel 5.x.y fixes the bluetooth issue with ACPI sleep.

I am curious about this; hardware is usually handled by the kernel, which is pretty much the same, and when you need some extra compilation option you can just go ahead and do it in any distro. In my experience, while certain things are more convenient in some distros, everything is possible in all of them.

Actually, that can be fun as well!
Take a look at my avatar, which comes from my
dragon alphabet. He is named Cracker, because
he consists of several layers of acrylic glazes, each
intended to form irregular cracks on the surface.

claesdragonC

Since it is difficult/impossible to plan where the cracks will appear,
it is great fun watching paint dry… More info: Craquelure - Wikipedia.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

I’ll pass on the slackware diskettes. Still pondering what to do with the IBM OS2 CD I found in my basement.

You mean like these diskettes?

They are supposed to have a prominent position!

1 Like

Correct. Mine were not the collectors edition, more like the garage sale version