DMC-G9m2 Support

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking…

I’m a longtime Lightroom user looking to escape the grasp of Adobe and Windows and finally make the shift over to OS software for my professional work. Only problem is, I can’t seem to find a linux-based open source software editor that supports my Panasonic G9 mkii. I had hoped that darktable’s new release would support it, but it seems I’m out of luck. Looking through the raw database here, it looks like y’all have the files you need, but if not I’d love to contribute or help in any way that I can.

Anyone help a girl out?

Welcome!

This camera is so new it will unfortunately take quite some time to fully support in dt - there is however a temporary workaround for latest dt 4.8 (if it was built w/ latest LibRaw snapshot, which depends on where you got it from).

You can also try the latest version of ART, or a development version of RT.

2 Likes

Amazing - thanks! Not sure why that thread didn’t come up in my searches.

One step closer to cutting the cord…

I’ve published dnglab 0.6.2 today, including camera support for G9 II.

1 Like

I’ll give it a look. Thanks!

I’m trying out a discounted openbox g9m2 from Amazon so would like to check RAW files against my current G9 before deciding if it’s worth keeping. However, the linked instruction to the workaround is way beyond me. I just download Darktable as a flatpak and have zero coding ability. Like, really, zero. I have no idea what the instructions for that workaround are talking about. Is there any hope of me doing this workaround or should I just send this camera back until Darktable gains support? Many thanks

Just spotted this so reading through the accompanying blogpost

Edit: Yeah, way beyond me.

Pardon the pedantry but the camera model is DC-G9 II so you might want to edit the topic title.

I too have a DC-G9 … excellent camera!

Not my title. Just adding to an old thread. But thanks. I really like the G9 and the G9ii feels a bit less dense to me, though maybe it’s just what I’m used to. The viewfinder is definitely better on the new model and the autofocus, obv. But I can’t check the IQ without being able to open the files in DT. And also no point in owning a camera that I can’t easily use with my main processor.

A common workaround, until proper camera support arrives, is to convert raw images to DNG.

Sorry, I pushed the wrong ‘reply’ button. Maybe the OP will see and fix it.

Thanks. Yes, I saw and clicked the link to dnglab above. I have no idea how to “compile” things. Is that even the right word? I’ve no idea how git works. Complete mystery

did you try @kmilos’ workaround? Adding “libraw_extensions=cr3,rw2” without the quotation marks, and for you without the cr3, it should enable support via libraw. You just need to find your darktablerc file and add the line to the end. Edit while darktable is closed and restart it after you’re done. You should be able to open G9mk2 images then.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I don’t speak this language, unfortunately. It’s like when my dad tried to teach me how to drive and we both realised on day one that he couldn’t remember how to be that dumb about driving and we paid for an instructor (I passed first time…)

Pictures might help

Well ignore all my nonsense above. That worked

1 Like

Glad it does, was already looking how flatpak installs work, but you figured it out. Great!

1 Like

Thanks a lot. My dumbness apparently has bounds

Sone say dumbness, others lack of good explanations :wink: so I’d encourage people to ask questions. We all come from different backgrounds!

3 Likes

Too kind

1 Like