DMC-G9m2 Support

Been doing a bit more editing on old non-new lumix camera photos and DT began showing blank magenta for a lot of the RAW files. Had to delete the RW2 from that the darktablerc file and then it returned to normal. Still testing the new camera. I guess I can keep reinstating the RW2 and deleting it. Hopefully that won’t f* things up.

It may have been enough to reset the raw black/white point module. If you enable the following setting in darktablerc:

plugins/darkroom/rawprepare/allow_editing_crop=true

then you’ll see it also contains the definition of the raw crop rectangle (normally hidden):

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have a look at this.

@TonyBarrett Let’s move the discussion back to the relevant topic please.

Btw, I see there is no contribution yet for the G9M2 noise profile on GitHub, so that would be useful to have for the next release now that the workaround is confirmed.

Ok. Well, I could try to do that if I have the means but that also depends on whether or not I’ve sent the camera back to Amazon…

And sorry to bother for more information but do these workarounds exist or not, and if they do how do I implement them?

The workaround is described in this thread, and the G9M2 GitHub issue.

Are you referring to this?

If so, this doesn’t seem to do anything for noise profiling (or white balance?) but then I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

To sum up, my questions is simple:

Is there a way to currently or in the near future use Darktable with this camera that isn’t fundamentally crippled?

If not, I will send it back.

Correct, the workaround is only for the “base” support, i.e. ability to decompress the new raw format.

WB you can add manually today if you feel apt, otherwise it’ll be likely shipped for Christmas.

Re noise profile, there is no contribution yet, so no timeline…

Right. That’s clear. Thanks for your time

1 Like

If you want to do it yourself drop me a message and I’ll try guiding you through it

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks, yep, that’s the one I saw. I need to check how long I’ve got for the return window and whether it’s likely I’d be able to do this before sending the camera back, which is currently what I now plan to do.

Thanks for the offer

Actually, WB is already included in 4.8.x.

2 Likes

Naturally there are no guarantees, but generally new profiles are added pretty quickly once there is an in interest and someone providing the required raw images.

So, if you otherwise like the camera and got a good price on it, I would consider keeping it.

1 Like

Ha. Thanks for feeding my indecisive nature. It was about 30% off current retail offerings, for an otherwise mint open box camera. It’s mainly the profiled denoising that I’m missing. I realise there are other ways to denoise.