Do you believe Huawei is spying on it's western users? And other related and non related stuff.

We know US has banned Huawei from it’s market and it’s trying to pressure other countries to do so. Like they did with Serbia.
Now, what do you think? Are the espionage accusations really true or is this just an US vs China economic war?

The reason why I’m asking is because Huawei has some really nice devices and has been becoming very popular in the EU until the US ban, and now EU citizens are a little bit weary too even tho Huawei is not banned in EU.

The second reason is, there are rumors that they are about to release a new ARM based laptop based on Deepin Linux OS. And that makes it a very attractive laptop to me.

Like it’s very cool that they are doing this, I wouldn’t expect that from a “bad Chinese company” I’d expect them to take the Linux source code, close it up, make an OS and publish a product.
So how much is China actually being a bad actor and how much is just a US propaganda?

Do you believe that western corporations or governments aren’t spying on you? Why is it ok for some to spy on us while not others? The way I see it is if you are connected on the internet you are being spied on.

11 Likes

I can’t prove one way or another. But no, I don’t believe that let’s say DELL has integrated hardware features in their devices that allow them to spy on all of their buyers and for that explicit purpose.

Then why would you believe Huawei does?

I don’t. I’m undecided. I’m asking for opinion of others.

But for one, because US government says they have the evidence. I’m yet to hear any tho.

I’m pretty sure the Chinese government says the same about US hardware :wink:

1 Like

So what is your opinion then?

Ouch. This bring in politics - a topic on which everyone has opinions, mostly strong ones too :smiley: As far a spying goes, what do you define as spying. Because by traditional definition, everyone is spied on all the time when every click, every tag is recorded, analyzed and predicted. I got freaked out long time ago and pretty much removed every form of social media but I dont think that is gonna stop anything.

I feel like there has been a lot of things being said, without providing any proof at all. And I dont want to take anything currently based on face value. One thing I know is that there are very smart people around the world who can tear apart a piece of hardware to see and check if such spying is occuring. If I was you and I liked the specs, I wont find anything to stop me from getting it. Even if my paranoia sets in, I dont think any data (more than what gets recorded anyways) recorded on me would be of any value. I find internet full of information about anything - if one want to proof, the earth is flat and the moon is just a glow in the dark fish bowl, we can find that information to support it on this world wide web.

BTW, this does look pretty interesting.

3 Likes

Actually all Manufactures have hardware facilities that allow spying on machines, those are integrated in the processor (with intel it is the Intel Managment Engine, AMD calls it Platform Security Processor). Those hardware modules allow to fully operate and manage the machine by bypassing the operation system with the capability of accessing the full RAM and network.

While those technologies are not meant for spying the provide a very good way to do it as they are almost impossible to replace and have contained various security vulnerability (that can not be fixed eg. here) in the past that allow full access via a network connection.

4 Likes

This.

Plus: Huawei is a multi-billon company whose survival is tied to the things they sell, as capitalist as any US-based company. The chances of them being willing to risk their big market share to do something shady like that are the same as DELL (your example) doing it to spy on non-US citizens.

Personally, I find those accusations (without evidence to support them, coming from one of the biggest spy governments in the World) risible and not worth the electricity spent to read them. For me it’s just the US government realizing they’re losing the technological lead. They could just say “we want to support national technology” and award 5G contracts only to US based companies, but it wouldn’t look very “free market” to do that.

4 Likes

@guille2306 A valid point - In todays world and economy, there are more than one country’s stakes in a multinational company which I find a bit assuring in terms of any funky business.

I do wanna add though - most of the worlds leading countries rely on intelligence so I dont think singling out one is correct. However what is the bigger issue here is the recent policy of ‘saying something first, think later and definitely no need for proof’ has been driving this big paranoia. It needs to be realized that whats on twitter is not fact :smiley: A few years ago, we would not be even thinking about it because it would seem a far-fetched thought but today here we are.

AI spies are reading this thread and taking note.

1 Like

In the words of Kent Brockman:

I, for one, welcome our new (AI) insect overlords

:rofl:

1 Like

I’m in the UK. The UK government has given itself wide-ranging legal powers to hack into any hardware (such as personal computers), and to tell telecom companies to conduct surveillance (ie spy) on people. See Investigatory Powers Act 2016 and Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000. And they can require the telco to keep this secret.

For example, if the UK government asked Vodafone to intercept communications, Vodaphone couldn’t tell us. I expect most countries have similar secrecy laws. An exception to this secrecy is Spain. In one year, Spain made 43,537 demands for communications data (“metadata”) and 22,013 demands for lawful interception. Source: https://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/vodcom/sustainability/pdfs/vodafone_law_enforcement_disclosure_report_2015-4.pdf

Is Vodaphone told to spy more than other telcos? I doubt it. Does Spain spy more than other countries? I doubt it.

Are Huawei and China very different to other companies and countries?

4 Likes

As long you have your smart phone with you, or one of those fun alexa,echo, what ever speakers at home. do not worry about huawei spying on you.

Your thread is just following the fear mongering of the US gov. Which feels a bit like “push them to use vendors that we can control better”

oh and btw : the US got caught shipping equipment to even friendly countries with spy gear inside.

5 Likes

Hi @KristijanZic

Now, what do you think? Are the espionage accusations really true or is this just an US vs China economic war?

Dunno…
Probably only Donald Trump might correctly answer to your question… :slight_smile:
It is a really complicated question: for instance, the daughter of the Huawey founder has been arrested in the past for other shady [1] affairs…
Lenovo is chinese too and it is right now the 1° Pc vendor and I have never read any allegations…
As a hunch, personally, I suppose Huawei was becoming way too succesful and Apple and other US companies migth have lobbied to damage their biggest competitor (by cutting the Google services and so on…).
Samsung is a fearful competitor too but it has big ties with the Microsoft services (on Galaxy Note etc) and South Corea has always had very excellent relationships with the US over the past years.

As an aside, the Huawei computer you are interested in looks interesting as specs.
Personally, however, I would never buy a computer with a brand-new architecture like this: you might be extremely lucky but also risk to act as an unwilling “beta-tester”.
If I had to buy a computer I would opt for an AMD CPU with a Radeon GPU…

[1] https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-06-12/canada-spy-agency-warned-of-shock-waves-from-arrest-of-huawei-founders-daughter

1 Like

But in Spain you have a lot of disturbances for which I’d expect intelligence agencies to be more active. I think right around 2015 Catalonia tried to declare it’s independence from Span. So It’s not really surprising that there would be a lot of activity in 2015.

But what’s really amazing to me is that they must have produced warrants for all those individuals being phone tapped. Who issued them? I can’t believe there is 43,537 bad actors in Spain.

Also does this mean that western countries will spy on you but they’ll go trough proper channels and China will violate your rights without even bothering to go to a judge first? Or that they’ll be involved in criminal espionage?

ROFL dude … have you learned nothing from Edward Snowden?

The NSA or better Five Eyes are watching our whole internet traffic and probably more.
Assume that most of your traffic out there is watched one way or the other. Many countries now have laws to coerce tech companies in supporting gov agencies to help with spying.

2 Likes

YES! And exactly for that reason, I can’t believe they are still doing that (which I believe they must). And I also can’t believe nobody is seeking clear answers from the US as to why they banned Huawei. It’s all shady and when you google it you just loose yourself in information and disinformation.

In EU everybody thinks that we’re better than US when in fact maybe all 28 countries do nothing but spy on each other or it’s citizens, we don’t know. They throw us a few nice infographics on the EU websites and we just eat it up without looking into it (because you can’t those are like 1000+ page documents). And that’s it. I think not even presidents and premiers know what’s what.

Maybe France and Germany, but the rest, I guarantee you we don’t even know the EU agenda.

Can somebody from other EU country tell me, do you get any real EU related news? What’s on the agenda, what’s being signed, what agreement has been reached and for what? Any EU parlament news? Do you know any EU parlament member form other country?

I can tell you, in Croatia, news only follows local issues, and only news about EU is when there is a new country as chair of the EU, we get Brexit, what did Merkel say about Trump, and how much money we give and if we managed to get some money out. That’s it. The motivations behind that money in/out is not said, relations between our citizens and the rest of EU is not being built trough the news. We know nothing about what’s going on in other member countries.

It’s sad, because we’re like together and are getting closer on paper. But relationships are not being built.

How is it in other countries?

I went way off topic here but I had to ask. I’m so curious about this.

Its very political. The initial ban of huawei by the US government was because huawei got caught selling stuff to Iran, and the US and Iran have beef. It just sort of escallated from there in a chest thumping contest, as per usual.

I think “is huawei spying on westerners” completely misses the scope of the problem if you’re concerned about privacy. A more fitting question would be “are my devices and the transits my devices use being used to spy on me?” And the answer to that is “yes.” Its governments, if not domestic then foreign, and their data trading policies (the US spies on Europe and Europe spies on the US, then they exchange data), its the device manufacturer, it’s your telco/ISP, it’s google, Facebook, apple, and amazon. Its anyone who has a chance to slurp up your personal bits.

2 Likes