Does DcamProf work with the "ColorChecker Passport Photo 2" color chart?

Edit: I have decided that messing with DcamProf and ArgyllCMS just aren’t worth it for the small amount of money I would save trying to buy a lower priced chart with less capable software, compared to just buying a chart that comes with software with all the features I need. I appreciate everyone’s attempts to help.

I am very specifically asking about this exact color chart, not any previous X-Rite or Calibrite ColorChecker or Passport product. Calibrite must have had some reason to add the ‘2’ to the product name, so there must be some difference between this product and other, previous products. I just have no idea if said difference is merely in the plastic frame, or in the true colors of the squares. That is why I am asking here.

While, I am aware that it is possible to create my own .cht file to define, for DcamProf, the exact colors on this particular color chart, I would like to avoid that if at all possible. I’m looking for a chart that “works out of the box” so to speak. And, for this thread, I am only asking about this particular product, linked to above.

If you know for sure that the colors in this product are the same as the colors of a previous product, that is commonly referred to as working with DcamProf, then your answer would simply be, “Yes.”

(My OS is the most recent update of Windows 10.)

X-Rite still has their product pages up, they just refer to the Calibrite site. There, you’ll find this:

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colorchecker-classic-family/colorchecker-passport-photo-2

and at the Calibrite site for the product you linked, you’ll find these words:

“Replaces the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport 2 (MSCCPP-B)”

So, if Calibrite acquired the production assets from X-Rite for their transferred products, one could assume that the Calibrite product will work with the dcamprof cc24_ref-new.cie. Bit of a stretch; I’m continually disappointed in imaging vendors’ propensity to avoid providing technical information on their products.

You might google some of the other forums where folk are more inclined to use the X-Rite/Calibrite commercial software products.

1 Like

So it looks like they are using 2 year old software… If I recall that software has a txt file or used to that it used for references. It had spectral references. You could likely confirm from that data about the patches but given that its 2 years old and the same version that was used by x-rite it might be safe to assume nothing changed. Then what I don’t know is the dcamprof cht file…if it was compatible with the x-rite passport I suspect that you are okay… Given how vague calibrite and xrite are its hard to do better…

Edit

So to me if I have the most up to date from Dcamprof…

cc24_ref-new.cie.txt (8.7 KB)

And from Xrite/Calibrite ver 2.2 of the software

ColorChecker24_spectral - Copy.txt (5.8 KB)

They are close but not the same… calibrite has only the spectral values not the other ones included in the dcamprof file…

THe dcamprof ones are scaled it seems by 100 so you could if you wanted paste row for row the values into a copy of dcamprof file using the spectral data from xrite after you multiply by 100…

Looking at both files I think you can see where it would go… so this should give you the values used by xrite, and calibrite seems to be using that older software for the card you mention… so I know you said you didn’t want to do any work but with a bit of cut and paste you should be good to go…

I was a networkmanager for 12 years, and into computers, well, since there have been personal computers… I would say this applies to just about every technical product, ever.

Famous last words! :rofl:

Well, I did figure out why the DcamProf web page had so little information about what color charts it works with: Because it doesn’t work with ANY!

Instead, it makes use of a separate open source, command-line utility, called ArgyllCMS. That program’s documentation is just about as out of date as that of DcamProf. It does mention the X-Rite “ColorChecker Passport,” but not the “ColorChecker Passport Photo 2,” here. There is a link to the product page, but it specifically links to the old, no longer available, product. The Colorite web server then redirects your web browser to the page for the new, “ColorChecker Passport Photo 2” product.

So, in the end, it seems that the answer may be: I could figure out if it is compatible or figure out how to make it compatible. But it would be far more of a pain than simply adding two zeros to a lot of numbers and hoping for the best.

In the end, since I would still have to pay $119 for the ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 (which supposedly will only allow you to generate ICC profiles), and the ColorChecker Passport DUO (which can allow you to generate both ICC profiles and DNG Color Profiles (DCPs)) is only $80 more, at $199. So, I have decided that it just isn’t worth it for me to fight with this whole issue to only save $80. I don’t have a lot of money, and I do have all the time in the world. But I already have about fourteen butt loads of stuff to teach myself just to get to where I want to be in my photography workflow. And this just ain’t worth it.

Yep the dcamprof is likely a bit out of date for chart files but it supports quite a few. … it lives as a commercial product now called Lumariver… as for the color checkers I think you might be wrong. They all use the same software and can make dng and icc profiles to use with capture one. But the files I shared are the data from calibrite… it doesn’t include extra file for its other color checkers just one that is uses for all …there is the new and the old that are noted by the change made in 2014…other than that they use the same data…I have actually hacked to to work with a spyderchecker by editing the file…

This is what it uses for references…

I recently bought the Lumariver Profile designer Pro software. Seems pretty good, although I don’t much to compare it to. Could be an option.

This is not a correct assumption… clarified on the website… all their products use the same software…

ColorChecker Camera Calibration software

Build custom camera profiles using ColorChecker Targets or the ColorChecker Digital SG Target together with either the stand-alone ColorChecker Camera Calibration software or the Adobe Lightroom® Plug-In.

This advanced camera profiling technology provides excellent results with all supported reference targets, producing profiles that work exceptionally well under virtually any lighting condition. Auto-detection will locate the target automatically in your image making the profile creation process even easier. Whether you are shooting with just one camera or multiple cameras, color professionals can easily establish an accurate color foundation and maintain control of their colors.

You will be able to:

• Minimise color differences between cameras and lenses
  • Adapt for mixed lighting
  • Match color balance across different scenes
  • Reduce the need for manual color adjustments

ColorChecker Camera Calibration software creates custom color profiles for both Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) and ICC workflows.

The software can be used with any size of the ColorChecker 24 patch charts: Nano, Mini, Passport, Classic, XL or Mega.

Or for superior results you can use the 140 patch ColorChecker SG chart.

Been posting on my phone, now that I’m home I can write fuller posts… :laughing:

dcamprof uses Argyll scanin to read the target shot into a .ti3 file; he does this because scanin does a good job of figuring out where are patches in a target shot. scanin doesn’t do the step that calculates the matrix from the target reference file.

To be clear about the ColorChecker versions, there was an original patchset, then they apparently had to change pigments to a more environmentally-friendly mix in 2014, per Torger. This appears to be the “2” version in the X-Rite and Calibrite product names.

dcamprof has the relevant ColorChecker reference files in data-examples/, cc24_ref.cie and cc24_ref-new.cie for the ColorChecker Passport original and 2014 patch mixes respectively.

I get it, “one-and-done” with the target and accompanying software. But, there’s another consideration, target finish. A finish that produces glare will be very challenging to use. The matte finish of the ColorChecker Passports is relatively easy to shoot in this regard. This is what I bought and I’ve had very little problem shooting either daylight- or studio-lit targets glare-free. I struggled mightily with the semi-gloss finished coloraid.de IT8 target.

Glen also I could be wrong but it sounds like the OP wanted to buy the passport as it was cheaper but thought the calibrite software for that card was somehow crippled so they contemplated buying it but then trying to use dcamprof if it was supported…

That is not the case so the OP may not even bother using dcamprof it was only to try to get away with the cheaper card but they both use the same software so this whole assertion is really pointless. THere are more options to play with in dcamprof and it will support it but I don’t think this particular user cares about that. Dcamprof was a means to an end to get around a perceived issue with the calibrite software that is not in fact an issue at all…

2 Likes

Yeah and after all that, I really think glare management needs to be his first consideration. Doesn’t matter what software, if you can’t get a glare free target shot this whole process becomes exceedingly frustrating. Wish I had posted that sooner…

I still haven’t invested in a spectrophotometre such as an X-Rite i1pro 2 to do my own measurements and possibly share them.

So this thread is still open:

Also see spectrophotometer: I want to measure my colorchecker

I basically have the same problem as you: I’d love to have spectral data for both pages of the colorchecker passport version 2, after 2014.

Not sure I caught your drift, though: what did you end up doing, @Grant_Robertson ?

I only have a 24 patch…does any software make use of those extra specialty patches and if so how?? I feel like they are there for creative purposes… the xrite software only has data as far as I can see for the 24 patches… the others are for creative manual adjustments aren’t they??

That’s what the video you linked claims. Seems like they might be for tweaking white balance, specifically.

I do think that the Spyder Checkr Photo, with its 48 patches, is the more useful design. And at least darktable can make use of all 48 for profiling.

the extra patches can indeed be used to get a slightly warmer or cooler WB with the X-rite dedicated software. But, if I look at it from an Argyllcms + dcamprof perspective, these patches are just additional patches that can make the initial capture more robust (falloff correction, glare, etc.) because some of them are redundant — and that is exactly my point. I consider the extra patches not necessarily immensely valuable but still, when building a profile for an artificial light source, I think it’s worth exploring that.

Do note that for the lucky owners of a pre-2014 colorchecker passport, someone has done these spectral measurements with an i1pro 2 and made them available here:

(iii) the luminous landscape forum has some data, for a pre-2014 colorchecker passport, too:
page 1 : DCamProf - a new camera profiling tool
page 2 (24-patch card) : DCamProf - a new camera profiling tool

• yes, the SpyderCheckr48 is more useful — and there’s even a new, more compact version, à-la Colorchecker Passport, with quite a lof of patches. Of course, we don’t have the spectral data, but only some references from Datacolor, in their software.
  • too bad the built-in profile maker in darktable is so tightly linked to the toolchain pipeline, with apparently no option to export.

That’s the Spyder Checkr Photo I mention. It has the same patches as the SpyderCheckr48, plus two big WB targets.

And their support isn’t very forthcoming. Took several months just to confirm that the Photo has the exact same colors as the 48, so support could be added to DT.

1 Like

reeeally? I thought it differed in some way. Well, then, again, someone would have to carry out a few measurements to be sure.

1 Like

Nevermind. I just read the posts about the Calibrite software being able to work just the same with both the ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 and Duo. So, I will just buy the former for $120 US. But… later.

Ignore his paragraph: I’m just gonna pay the extra money for the Color Checker Passport Duo, so I can use their software to generate ICC and DNG Color Profiles (DCP), and just forget about DcamProf altogether. Maybe, maybe, sometime in the future, when I have lots of time, and if I am not satisfied with the profiles I can generate with the X-Rite/Calibrite software, then I may give DcamProf another shot.

However, I will not be paying $120 for a color chart any time soon. So, I’ll just be winging it till then. I have no interest in trying to use some kind of home-grown color chart and fighting with lots of poorly documented open -source software. Could I figure it all out? Oh hell yeah. I’m a former network manager, with a 4.0 in my Computer Science / Education major. Do I have other things to do with my time? You betcha!!!

Yeah, I was just basing my statement on what they say on the Calibrite website for those two products. However, I did notice, on their download page, that there is only one program for making camera profiles. I guess I just assumed that the software worked differently based on some code that you had to enter from the packaging. It is very common for vendors to limit their software in this way, so they can just maintain one code base. Though, to be clear, I have no idea if this is what they are doing, or if the person who wrote those web pages was just full of it.