Easy glitching because why not

hello there, i’m the glitch person who created an account here and had some fun with the ‘warp test’ plugin in addition to the ‘flip blocs’ plugin but i forgot about the password of my old account and logged in using facebook. can’t recall the username, either.

i found out about these two things:

can g’mic do similar damage to images, from simple jpeg compression like in those over-shared twitter memes to full-on png-style colour warping?

old dead post: Glitch Art Filters? - #14 by Joan_Rake

2 Likes

This could be some very useful effects for GMIC in Natron.

maybe these topics are useful?

oops, I didn’t see your link in the first post.

1 Like

Thanks iarga! :smile:
The screenshots are very helpful. I would have never combined these two filters to get glitches :blush:
I tried it only for a couple of minutes, but with some wiggle expressions and/or keyframes this can be a very nice glitch effect.
So thanks to all who opened the threads for this, and of course David_Tschumperle.

any ideas as to how they may be implemented if it isn’t already? if g’mic can manipulate bytes and write to files then this could have potential.

I don’t know if G’MIC has the capability to glitching in the way that The Art of PNG Glitch illustrates. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that existing G’MIC filters only imitate the look as opposed to actually manipulating the encoding/compression of PNG.

Basically, with G’MIC, it would be going from “Formatted PNG” (or any other file type) → “Raw Data” (or whatever G’MIC does after opening the PNG) → Play around with some pixels! → Output Result. That is my impression anyway. In any case, “glitching” in any manner is intriguing when done with artistic intent.

For input/output, G’MIC simply uses wrappers around the classical libpng/libjpeg/libgtiff/… libraries, so it doesn’t handle the encoding/decoding of the image data by itself.
Thus, it seems a bit hard to include that kind of transformations as a G’MIC script, except if someone is crazy enough to rewrite a custom PNG saver as a G’MIC script :slight_smile:
I guess similar effects could be achieved anyway with some other easier tricks to implement.

@afre
@David_Tschumperle

to address this, one must ask: ‘what do the filters mentioned on the pnglitch site actually do on an artistic level?’ and then work out what is necessary to be done. for example: the kind of tilted, gradient-like colour warping shown on the site (which the current warp filter cannot do afaik; the ‘snow’ effect; the dragged lines; the rectangular-like patterns and whatnot. i can already think of some processes which can be used, from extreme normalisation and contrast to layered-and-dragged blurring in various channels.

In any case, I’m pretty sure this is possible to do all these sort of things with G’MIC. What I’m not sure about is how much time it would take to implement a particular effect, unless you write me the exact algorithm somewhere, and in this case I can estimate the implementation time :slight_smile:

difference layer blending and channel manipulation will be key here.

for the ‘dragged blur’ thing, there needs to be some kind of multi-level blurring of a small percentage of suitably-distanced pixels with each level being dragged in a certain direction by a magnitude which is proportional to the blurring magnitude. this would require a maximum number of levels of some sort.

the snow effect is easy given that i’ve done it before. again, extreme normalisation in and contrast in selected strips is key to this.

for the overlaid rectangular patterns, a large, set number of difference-blended rectangles of selected ranges of hues, saturations, luminosities and alphas (possibly with an option to toggle gradients) can be used, with the final layer being intensity-warped. the process can be repeated for a fully-glitched effect.

as for the smeared lines, that’s just a matter of having 1-pixel thick lines of a desired density which extend to one of the edges, either horizontally or vertically. there can be several layer blending modes for this process to make the effect very configurable.

interlacing, shifted/swapped portions and smearing across fully-transparent regions also needs to be considered.

If you are thething, we can help you recover access to your account if you provide verification, e.g. send a message from the email address used to register thething. Ping @patdavid @paperdigits

it’s okay; i use the same email for both anyway. i logged in using my old account details but i think this account took over.

I’ve changed ownership of the old @thething posts to @Joan_Rake.

cool

reviving a dying topic