Editing moments with darktable

Nice double feature Boris.

You explain the steps rather well and all is easy to follow. Good to see that you decided to (also) post tutorials :books:

EDIT: One thing that might make things a bit clearer though would be adding a key screencaster (display mouse/key clicks/presses). The bending of the gradient would be a good example why. All the key combos can be found in the docs and using the h key, but showing them on screen might be just that much more informative. Just a thoughtā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s a good idea and I thought about it, but I canā€™t find a decent one for Kubuntu 20.04. Keymon canā€™t be installed. :unamused:
Do you have any idea/suggestion?

Hi, if Iā€™m not wrong, youā€™re using OBS for recording the screen, you can add a keypress widget, there are some plugins with GUI, but most of the time iā€™m just using a simple text overlay

EDIT: i forgot if the simple/plain text is built in or not, but this is what iā€™ve used (Input History)

2 Likes

I donā€™t create (web) video content, so no. Iā€™m not sure what software Bruce Williams uses, but maybe you can ask him.

I did run into this when I searched your keymon vs ubuntu problem:

Mind you: Iā€™m not an Ubuntu user so Iā€™m not at all sure how safe/sane it is to install older packages on a newer version.

My experience, on Debian, is that it will work as long as:

• It isnā€™t depended on older version of certain programs,
  • It doesnā€™t try to install deprecated/older version of dependencies.

EDIT: Never mind, @adrs beat me to it and has a much more elegant solution!

1 Like

Thx. @Jade_NL but thatā€™ s the problem. Bruce also uses keymon, which I also wanted to install. And I found your suggestion.

However, it installs an older python version which can cause problems. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

@Jade_NL I managed to install the Keymon. In the next episode you will also see the keystrokes. :wink: :

12 Likes

I did a bit of search, and there is also screenkey / screenkey Ā· GitLab which seems to still be maintained. Never tested, but just in case.

1 Like

Well done once again Boris. Lots of useful information and very well explained.

1 Like

Thank you for both videos. Like everyone else, I learned a huge amount from them.

@s7habo Would you mind giving a brief description of how to use blurs and diffuse to replace lowpass?

New Episode: How to deal with the colors in the darktable part one - color calibration (channel mixer) :rainbow:

17 Likes

Quick example:

8 Likes

@s7habo
Boris, youā€™re a dt photo editing force of nature!!

7 Likes

What machine configuration are you using? on my i7 8700 with 16gb ram and RX-570 GPU on a hackintosh (osx Big Sur) with each change in this module parameter I have to wait for like 5-7 seconds to see the effect, while when you were using this module everything was instantaneous

8 Core IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
32Gbit RAM

@s7habo
Boris, I notice you always seem to be editing in softproof. I have long wondered if that is the best way to do it if you are going to be exporting as jpg.

If your monitor profile is substantially different than sRGB it might help to get closer exports however its pretty easy to toggle them and see if there is much differenceā€¦in the end it will depend on the output ie printing vs digital export and to some extent your hardwareā€¦thats my 2 cents

I use it mainly for videos. Since I have a good EZIO monitor, with sRGB as softproof, I make sure that the colors and dynamic range in the videos are correct.

New episode: How to deal with the colors in the darktable part two - color balance rgb :rainbow:

20 Likes

Iā€™m repeating myself, but this is another nice one.

I know that this is meant as a darktable specific video, but even if your RAW editor is different this one is worth watching. Basic principles apply.

BTW: Itā€™s always nice to notice that someone, you in this case, is happy about the end-result! That enthusiasm at the end put a smile on my face.

5 Likes

Thank you - this was a really clear example of how to use the color palette and then make the corresponding adjustments in the photo. How did you decide initially that the greens in the shadows should be blue-green and the greens in the highlights should be yellow-green? Is that just a well-known combination for trees or plants?