Editing moments with darktable

That’s actually how it is. Currently I use calibrated display profile for sRGB color space.

Not 100% sure from your answer but the issue is that the working profile does not go directly to the histogram profile so with the lower gamut/narrower colorspace in the middle you will get false sense of the clipping…Perhaps this is what you are saying…it is explained here https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/pull/8051

and the pipeline for data through the color spaces is discussed here…as you can see during parts of it even some devs were surprised…

From here or the whole thread

Its likely a topic of a new thread as to the current status of this and where it stands or if it is still a potential issue to be aware of ie…as quoted below

"This transformation goes from the display profile to the histogram profile. So it seems either the input image for histogram calculation is coming from a part of the pixelpipe where the image has already been converted to display profile, or there is a mistake in this conversion.

Maybe this is a corner case, but there’s an issue here at least in cases where the display profile doesn’t cover the whole gamut of the histogram profile (this is the case for my display profile) – some of the color information is lost during the transition

working profile -> display profile -> histogram profile

if gamut of the display profile is a subset of the histogram profile.

Reading the release notes I would have intuitively expected the pipeline to be something along the lines of

/--> display profile -> displayed image
working profile -|
                 \--> histogram profile -> histogram, color picker, overexposure

By branching the conversion to display profile and histogram profile, one would avoid the loss of information which is a likely root cause of the issue with the histogram and color picker values changing. What do you think?"

Perhaps someone more qualified can comment…

New episode: Substitute for curves and contrasts in highlights. :camera:

17 Likes

Thank you so much for your videos they are so fruitful and I am every time so astonished how you can improve the look of the images with only a few modules and clicks.
Please continue this series they are helping so much.

1 Like

Very nice video, and a very good comparison of the different workflows. For me especially the tone equalizer part reveals some new ideas and is worth watching.
Could you add a short snapshot comparison for the images with higher dynamic range (especially the castle) ?
Thanks a lot and please continue this series :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting and informative examples of using the tone equalizer. I learn something new in every video. Thanks!

1 Like

Base curve. Note that here I have made no other changes except local contrast, because in this case it makes no sense for me to torture myself with corrections of the rigid appearance that this curve offers here:

Tone curve. Here I have to admit that I am no longer adept at making the best use of the curve. I can well imagine that it can be done much better. However, what I am sure, in this case, this will not be an easy task. I can well imagine that you have to spend some time here to use it reasonably:

Filmic + color balance rgb:

Filmic + color balance rgb + tone equalizer:

Even in these last two edits, you can get much better results, but I didn’t want to waste too much time.

In any case, I find that with tools from scene-referred workflow you can achieve much better results, especially in photos with high dynamic range. But it is not always easy. Sometimes you have to think carefully about the steps you take.

Also, a vast number of options can overwhelm you.

For example, for the first photo with tone equalizer I used standard RGB euclidian norm for the luminance estimator of the mask, which looks like this:

Result:

But if you use RGB geometric mean instead:

You get a result with stronger local contrasts:

14 Likes

It appears to me that you lowered exposure between the filmic + color balance rgb version and this one because this one seems darker even after the upward shift at the right end of the curve in tone equalizer. Is that right? Anything else done? I’m puzzled because it appears to me that the darker tones are not much darker, but the brighter tones are actually darker even after the upward shift.

New episode: contrasts in highlights 2 and camera jpeg look :camera:

16 Likes

@Underexposed Sorry for the late response.I somehow overlooked it.

No in this case medium gray tones are a little darker. I just didn’t lighten them enough. You can see it in the waveform.

The second part of this sensational video is perfect for all darktable users that complained a bit about the default look of raw images differing from the ooc jpg files.

First part was an enlightenment for me! Thank you so much

1 Like

@s7habo Thought you might like to know that instead of Episode 45, your Youtube playlist has a Jordan Peterson video about Hitler bathing. Guessing that’s a mistake.

Hi @TheBB !

Yes, that was a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. :+1:

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the great video again @s7habo.
One question I have is I noticed you never seem to apply any denoising.
I have a Canon 7d and if I underexpose I always have to apply some denoising even at low ISOs when raising exposure etc

There are several reasons for this:

• I always shoot in manual mode, so when underexposing I always make sure to have the lowest possible ISO values for the given scene.

• I don’t mind if the photos are a little noisy. Photo does not have to look mirror smooth. The main thing is that the noise is not so high that it disturbs the main motif.

• My cameras (Nikon D7200 and D850) have an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. I have to say that Nikon is still ahead in this respect. This has often saved me by event photography.

7 Likes

Excellent tutorial :clap:t3::clap:t3: learned so many new things. Please continue with your B&W series.

2 Likes

@s7habo I see you have some diffuse presets…have you anything worth sharing from your experimentation with it

Sure!

diffuse_clarity.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_lc new.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_lc new 2.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_lc new 3.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_local contrast 2.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_local contrast 3.dtpreset (1,1 KB)
diffuse_local contrast small.dtpreset (1,1 KB)

17 Likes

Great! I’m desiring to experiment with that. Thanks!

1 Like