Editing moments with darktable

Very generous thanks I will take a look at them and see how you have modified things……Thanks as always……

1 Like

A brief note on when to use which presets.
Thanks

There are no specifications. These are simply different variations as I tested the module.

1 Like

Hi Boris,

I’ve been working with the lowpass module a bit and an getting more pleased with the results. Could you take a look at a couple pairs of before/after images? I can post them to my web site and shoot you a link. Let me know and I’ll upload them tomorrow.

OK. Post the link.

https://marcsitkin.smugmug.com/Boris/n-CLBmfm/Boris

Can’t post raw or xml to my web site unfortunately.

Thanks for your time!

Yes, the changes are very subtle, but you can see the difference.

Thanks for taking a look. Subtle is what I was looking for. It’s an interesting technique, and I see a definite use for it on certain images. I seem to need to go back to main exposure and boost it a bit after adding the low pass module.

1 Like

Love your editing work Boris. How do I load these presets into DT. I know how to import styles, and how to create my own presets, but I’m having problems finding the import option for presets. Thanks

In preferences…

Thanks Todd - should have known where to look by now!

1 Like

Boris

I would love if the next episode would be about black and white editing as you have hinted.

PS: thank you for all the effort and outstanding episodes you have done until now.

Best regards,

Yes, that will be so. I am currently a bit busy, but as far as I get more free time, I will do it. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you a lot in advance.

Best regards,

1 Like

@s7habo

Thank you for your videos. To me, they are very informative. I am still trying to get my head around the new scene referred workflow. I was wondering if you would be willing to share some Images you used in your videos? I would like to try your methods on your images and see what results i can achieve.

Edit:
With sharing your Images i meant if you are willing to share your RAW Files? Maybe even with the sidecar files

Thank you Boris. Great examples.
I have a question regarding contrast. Why do you use Tone Equaliser to increase contrast instead of doing it in Filmic?

filmic is primarily tonemapping. Why using a tool for something it isn’t designed for?
In tone equalizer you have full control over the contrast global as well as local

I think aurelien addressed in the past. Filmic is for technical contrast, you do the tone mapping and maybe some contrast is lost in the midtones while doing so, hence why the contrast slider exists in filmic. It is not meant for creative adjustments of contrast. You get it to a good starting point and then use expose or tone equaliser for artistic adjustments.

Here is the explanation: Which module for contrast to use? Filmic or color balance rgb? - #10 by aurelienpierre

4 Likes

I know its only supposed to be for local contrast but I find I like the look of the contrast applied by color balance rgb…esp after setting the autopickers for fulcrum and grey level or by playing in the masking tab…

Would you mind explaining in detail how you use colorbalance RGB for contrast? Maybe even with some screenshots.