Editing moments with darktable

Moinchen, Joachim!

If you use the search facility in this forum, you
will find much info, for example this:

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

1 Like

No time now but basically out of the gate go to the masks tab and click on both autopickersā€¦this will set some tonal boundries which guides the contrastā€¦then dial in contrast from the main tab. It has a nice effectā€¦ Thatā€™s really it. You can just dial in some contrast and then do the autopickers if you would like to assess the impactā€¦finally I sometimes go to the mask tab and slide the middle gray point back and forth to expand or contract what is considered highlights or shadows as needed and in rarer cases I play with the fall offā€¦AP says not to use it the way that I do (globally) but I like the look when I use itā€¦ you can get a pretty good explanations hereā€¦ try from about 42 min markā€¦ [EN] Secrets of the color balance RGB in darktable 3.6 - YouTube and around 47 min he explains a better application of the contrast ā€¦ie in a local area and in a way that wonā€™t affect your white pointā€¦ in any case like all things DT there are sound technical groundings for the how and why but you should experiment and use the tools in a way the works for you and gives you the look you desireā€¦at least IMO

@s7habo

Among all your excellent episodes, I find 46 & 47 super interesting and relevant for me - thank you!

I switch back and forth between display- and scene-referred workflow. As for landscapes or other pictures without people I have no problems with new workflow, however, peopleā€™s faces look dull and ā€œtoo-magentaā€ quite often (to my eye).

And the point is, I have such a strange hobby of creating something like ā€œOne preset to rule them allā€ :wink:

I believe after yesterday watching your videos Iā€™m a bit closer to heaven. So far my auto-applied presets look like that:

That set is some kind of substitute for long been used:

In Tone Equalizer I like to play it safe, and the extreme points of the ā€œcurveā€ (let me call it like that) are not touched, so Iā€™m sure not to introduce clipping :slight_smile:

So far the only thing I need to manipulate is Exposure and Mask exposure compensation in Tone EQ.
I will be testing those settings long-term.

1 Like

See Aureliens new video todayā€¦I think the D65 WB settings are off for a lot of cameras leading to often redder or magenta castsā€¦His use of a photo of a calibrated monitor to derive new WB coefficients might help with some of the noted color issues for some users with certain cameras using the modern workflowā€¦

Couple of observationsā€¦

Normally you would not use filmic and the basecurve in the same work flow and your reconstruct settings in filmic might not do anything ā€¦the threshold will be image specificā€¦its set at 3 by default to do nothing as this takes CPUā€¦you must lower it each time to include what you want in the reconstruction maskā€¦so 0 might or might not include some highlightsā€¦

I do not :grinning:

The screenshot of base curve is for illustration and comparison purposes - those are the settings used, when I switch to display-reffered.

When I work in the modern approach, I use the combo of Filmic RGB + Color Balance RGB + Tone EQ.

I know about 3 Ev in Filmicā€™s reconstruction, I like zero as a starting point (for the time being, at least :upside_down_face: ). Also I have Highlight reconstruction module switched off when in scene-referred to let the Filmic have more data to work on - Iā€™ve leaned few things from the discussion in my previous topic.

And I saw that new video about calibration and taking D65 photo of my screen. I took it (EIZO monitor) and did quick test.

It looks promising, but it was late and I was tired, so precise experimentation is postponed :slightly_smiling_face:

That is interesting. I had impression that Filmic is only complementing the Highlight reconstruction module in this aspect.

Which video was that?

@Underexposed Most probably this one:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

@Claes is right :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am trying to use the Paletton designer in edits. I wonder if this image is one that it could, or should, be used on:

@s7habo those are great videos, and thanks so much for sharing! :+1:

I was wondering if you would mind sharing a few words about your workflow in respect to your darktable version.
It seems that you are mostly using darktable master instead of the latest release, is that only for the videos? Or do you do all your edits with the latest development version?

I donā€™t think there is a rule for that. Everything depends on what you want to do with the photo. A colorful autumn scene like this gives a lot of possibilities to experiment with colors.

Hi Christoph,

welcome to the forum!

Iā€™m using the development version of darktable, because I like to test new modules and I found it to be stable enough for everyday use (at least the Linux version).

In my videos I try to use only the modules that are available in the stable version unless I want to demonstrate something new. But mainly I want to present the possibilities of darktable to the normal user.

For my own photo processing I use the developer version.

2 Likes

Hi Boris,

thanks a lot for the quick reply :slight_smile:

Hi Boris

Still no timeline for the black and white photo editing?

And once more, thank you very much for all the exquisite contribution your videos have made to the darktable community.

Best regards,

Yes, it is, thatā€™s my next intention. I just have to see when I can do it. I hope I can do it this weekend.

Hi Boris,

For a long time I have been trying to figure out what the above means. What puzzles me is that it is a color picture, so where does the black and white version fit into the development?

Original:

Black and white version with new instance of color calibration module gray tab (Here I have used green channel for black and white version):

Same module but with multiply blend mode:

8 Likes

After a long time finally new episode: black and white conversion: :relieved:

23 Likes