Editing moments with darktable

Sorry @Rajkhand , but if the examples in the video didn’t make it clear, I don’t know how to explain it better.

Maybe you offer one of your raw files as play raw and then we can see from this example how to use the module.

Since it is not easy to get intuition for higher-order settings, I would Just follow the advice in the manual.

I opened an issue about documenting this module, it would be great if interested users could comment:

(@s7habo, I have no intention of hijacking this topic, it’s just that you posted a lot of nice recent tutorials that make use of this module so perhaps users who have questions about it can contribute).

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
I used some of your techniques shown in the last video to edit the following image. When i shot it, i thought it was not worth editing. But i think with your techniques i did get a result worth showing here. I really love your videos and think they are tremendously helpful. Keep up the good work.

16 Likes

Hi, like the image.
Just wondering peoples thoughts on moving the plane back to the left. acceptable unacceptable? I mean the plane was there, just not at capture. Me - I’d move it

I would remove it. Or crop it out for a bigger tree. Also something strange with the top left edge. But the object is really cool. I would often go back at different weathers.

Hi Boris. Rewatching some of your earlier videos, the strong use of yellows in the image of the three figures reminded me of this section of David Hornung’s book Color (I found the old second edition on Kindle for £4) on how warmer highly saturated colours advance in the image, while cooler, duller colours do the opposite. But artists can play with such psychological tendencies to create tension and release. Cheers

6 Likes

Bit too much sky for me and the plane is for me more of a distraction than a feature so I would crop to just below it …that’s the way I first saw the image before scrolling up to see the sky and I liked it that way…

1 Like

si vous enlevez l’avion, la photo perd de sa force

New episode: Some examples of the usage of blend modes :camera_flash:

23 Likes

Good to see you’ve incorporated blend modes, especially your favourite multiply mode, into the new scene referred modules. They seem to be working a bit smoother in the new workflow/modules.

The use of the divide blend mode you show is interesting, although indeed rather tricky to use. First time I see anyone use this blend mode in a possible useful way.

The WB/colour calibration method using the RGB channel blend modes is really nice. Quite often you are without any reference area to choose from when colour calibration’s auto mode doesn’t work to ones satisfaction. This one will come in rather handy.

Really enjoyed this episode, thanks!

6 Likes

This is a very, very good tutorial. Thank you

2 Likes

I have learned some interesting tricks. Especially the use of tone equalizer as a tone adjustment through the blending modes.

thanks!

2 Likes

@s7habo
Thanks, Boris, for another great tutorial. :beers:

1 Like

By the way, @flannelhead found a bug in the algorithm that caused the behaviour and corrected it:

I’m testing it now and the anisotrophy order is behaving as expected.

This is an huge improvement.

Thanks a lot @flannelhead !

9 Likes

Seems there is another math wiz looking into it in detail as well…

1 Like

Ah, I just read the link. I thought the behaviour was a little odd but didn’t know enough to say something is definitely wrong. I should’ve thought about it a bit more and how it didn’t really fit with Aurelien’s video explaining how the module was supposed to work. Interesting

I should have spotted that one since I noticed the same issue, but I checked my code several times and found nothing wrong. Turns out the mistake was in a paper cited by a paper on which I based the diffusion model. It’s the third time I hit computational mistakes in peer-reviewed papers while implementing them, and I keep trusting them over my own judgement…

12 Likes

A project that I was managing hit a snag with the guidance system, and the engineers were beating their heads against the wall trying to figure it out. I didn’t know anything about guidance systems, so I asked to see their source material and they literally tossed me a classic text with a yellow sticky that book-marked Euler angle equations. It turns out the matrix was correct but there was an error with the long form solution from that matrix. I wrote out the correct equation and sure enough, the system worked. They were floored that that a lowly project engineer could figure it out…

4 Likes

This is why they blind studies …you have to examine the data as it is not how you think it is…fresh eyes and no bias goes a long way as does going back to the start and working it through…great example