Erlaufschlucht in the Mostviertel

A quick check of disabling the module did not seem to make any difference. It is set to clip highlights.

Could it be a combination of highlight reconstruction and CA?

Not using CA.

After zooming in and looking closely, it appears to me that there is a structure of some kind, perhaps a walkway, back there. The color that appeared comes from it, so it is real.

I come late to this :slight_smile:
Besides my Nikons I also have an Oly (EM5 II) and I am shocked, how much the noise has been improved. For me, I need to denoise already beginning with 200ISO and here I literally see nothing at 640.

This is my take with darktable 3.3.0+1707~g696fc5c4a

P9120141.orf.xmp (11,1 KB)

2 Likes

With two month’s more experience with dt 3.2.1, I think I have improved since my earlier post. I have learned to deal with the highlights reconstruction since then, and I am more comfortable with the exposure. I think I have a better balanced interpretation, now.

P9120141.orf.xmp (5.4 KB)

7 Likes

Yes you did, noticeably. I like how you consistently edit to keep it as real as possible and I do not think that that is a lack of knowledge. Many, including myself, tend to over saturate or emphasize certain parts at times. This is also true for sharpening, although I do have to say that the above image seems to lack some in that respect :wink:

1 Like

Thank you.

Yes, I do not really have any grasp on sharpening in dt, as of yet. I get completely lost trying to read the current/recent thread on sharpening. I guess I should start it again, from the top.

PS - When I used to do a lot of editing with the GIMP, a few years ago, I was even to the point of building my own overlay masks for contrast and sharpening. But, I have forgotten 85% of all that.

Sorry I keep bumping, I didn’t used darktable in a long time and I’m practicing filmic

dt 3.2.1
P9120141.orf.xmp (13.0 KB)

2 Likes

honestly you can usually get great results just by opening up the contrast equalizer and making a little kick like this with a large “brush” size:

contrast

sometimes its worth using the parametric mask to keep the effect out of the highlights and shadows a bit, but this alone gets you 95% of the way there most of the time.

2 Likes

P9120141.orf.xmp (31.0 KB)

My take…

2 Likes

@Eduardo_Battaglia That is a lot of food colouring there! :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t really notice the upwards arrow until now. Now I can’t avoid seeing it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

LOL thanks, now I see it too. :smiley:

Thank you for the play, this was fun!
GIMP/G’MIC:

1 Like

Difficult picture, a lot of things going on.
Using dt.

P9120141_01
P9120141.orf.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

DT 3.4.1.1

P9120141

P9120141.orf.xmp (16,3 KB)

1 Like

Goig for a sunny, late afternoon look, with more yellowish greens
DT 3.5
P9120141
P9120141.orf.xmp (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

Nice location!

Testing @jandren’s sigmoid and @anon41087856’s rebooted colour balance.

Tried not to overdo it.

dt 3.5.0

P9120141_02.orf.xmp (12.3 KB)

4 Likes

the colors are realistic, the water is this green

1 Like

Oh, cool, was just a guess, peeking to the other results. My starting point was here:

Some tweaking in sigmoid and colour calibration shifted it into the right direction. Lifting brilliance and saturation / chroma was done with the colour balance modules.

I think you are right and the lack of the intense colour is caused by the shadow in the canyon rsp. the absence of direct sunlight on the river.