Erlaufschlucht in the Mostviertel

Difficult picture, a lot of things going on.
Using dt.

P9120141_01
P9120141.orf.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

DT 3.4.1.1

P9120141

P9120141.orf.xmp (16,3 KB)

1 Like

Goig for a sunny, late afternoon look, with more yellowish greens
DT 3.5
P9120141
P9120141.orf.xmp (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

Nice location!

Testing @jandrenā€™s sigmoid and @anon41087856ā€™s rebooted colour balance.

Tried not to overdo it.

dt 3.5.0

P9120141_02.orf.xmp (12.3 KB)

4 Likes

the colors are realistic, the water is this green

1 Like

Oh, cool, was just a guess, peeking to the other results. My starting point was here:

Some tweaking in sigmoid and colour calibration shifted it into the right direction. Lifting brilliance and saturation / chroma was done with the colour balance modules.

I think you are right and the lack of the intense colour is caused by the shadow in the canyon rsp. the absence of direct sunlight on the river.

Iā€™m using darktable-3.5.0+1953. When I load P9120141_02.orf.xmp, this is the history that shows up:

and the image appears much closer to P9120141_01.jpg.

Are you using a newer version of dt?

Hi Bill, the correct history should look like this:

Clipboard01

The sigmoid module is missing in your version because up to now it isnā€™t merged in master. You have to do this manually. See [WIP] sigmoid tone mapping module by jandren Ā· Pull Request #7820 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub

Thanks for the tip. Iā€™m running Windows and am not familiar with what I am seeing at that link. It looks like I would have to be running Linux, but thatā€™s a guess. I may have to wait. I rebuilt my Windows package today, and sigmoid is not in it.

Edit: I think now the commands are issued when running MINGW64, but I havenā€™t figured out how to use them yet.

Itā€™s not coming from the DT code but a fork being used by the author of the module so you are pulling it in from there if you choose. Any edits are fubared in any version of DT without it if you use it so just be careful to maybe keep them separate or managed so that you know you have used it in an edit if you do

1 Like

I recall Harry Durgin did A jungle edit with.a lot of greens some years ago. He was very creativeā€¦Iā€™ll see if I can find it or you might land on it from Google if you are interested. Perhaps a tip or two might give you another angle

Is it this one ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUJio5E_60
I like his videos a lot, they have such a ā€œlaid backā€ and friendly mood.

That is a good oneā€¦I think the one I had recalled was this one. Lots of manipulation of the green as wellā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zgTvU-kscw

1 Like