Exposure/Contrast/WB on Antique Cheese Keeper

Good evening! I was referred here by a member in a darktable Facebook group. I just started using DT and I am overwhelmed. I am also new to photography so please forgive my incorrect aperture/focus. I’ll be re-taking this soon, I hope. But this is what I’ve got to work with for now. I have played with it a bit but I just can’t seem to get to a place where I’m happy with it. I don’t want it to look over-processed as it’s an item I’ll be selling on Etsy, eventually. I’m just hoping to get some interpretations from people who know what they’re doing in darktable, lol. Have at it!

Licence: Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

DSC_0156 (2).NEF (10.1 MB)

1 Like

@Testuda Welcome to the forum! I would love to see what you were able to manage to do so far.

BTW, I moved this to the Processing → PlayRaw category.

1 Like

This is where I’m at so far.

Include the XMP sidecar, the file that contains the processing info. Or let us know if you embedded that info in your image. I usually go the file route to save people the trouble.

Not bad. I like it already.

1 Like

DSC_0156 (2).NEF.xmp (10.5 KB) DSC_0156 (2)_01.NEF.xmp (11.3 KB)

2 Likes

Sorry afre I’m new lol, thanks for your patience. Hope this works. DSC_0156 (2).NEF.xmp (14.8 KB)

Looks cool!

@Testuda I like helping people. :slight_smile:

@sls141 Nice, drawing attention to the flowers. :rose: The grayscale’s focal point is at the handle.

1 Like

cheese.keeper.nef.xmp (10.3 KB) darktable 3.2.1

A relatively simple edit that tried to keep this as close to real as possible. But without knowing what the actual colours are/where there is some guesswork involved.

BTW: Welcome to Pixls!

3 Likes

Thanks! I will have a look at the steps you took once I’m on my laptop. It looks good! Maybe a little dark? I don’t know, you folks are the experts not me :joy:

My take.

DSC_0156 (2).NEF.xmp (7.9 KB)

1 Like

Very nice, thank you :blush:

my take

2 Likes

A better one:

1 Like

I do tend to like my edits just a tad darker. Than again, maybe your monitor is set too dark :sweat_smile:

Seriously though: In the end the edit that you like is the one that counts. Don’t let people tell you otherwise!

1 Like

As pretty as the second one is, the first one is more true to life I think. Not many fluorescent antiques hehe (aside from uranium and neodymium glass, of course!).

Im really enjoying seeing what everyone is doing with this image :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Then this one should be ok:

Oh yeah, and the xmp:
DSC_0156 (2)_01.NEF.xmp (35.0 KB)

2 Likes

I love antiques.

DSC_0156 (2).NEF.xmp (50.5 KB)
darktable 3.2.1

3 Likes

@KristijanZic yes! It’s bright but more accurate.

@Soupy so lovely :heart_eyes: I’m sure I will have more to share soon!

1 Like

My attempt. I try to keep a very “realistic” look. I hope you like it.

DSC_0156 (2).NEF.xmp (5.9 KB)

1 Like