filmic v4 on the way

I goofed; I was using the name of the module. Input is standard color matrix; working profile is Linear Rec2020 RGB. But use Rec2020 as soft-profile, yes?

And I don’t know what it means by standard color matrix.

If you want to check the gamut clipping against the closest match to visible locus, then yes.

Input color matrix is only the raw sensor profile.

I would say no if you are going to display on a monitor or the web sRGB as it seems even if softproofing is not turned on it can affect your histogram that is displayed with default settings so it matches softproofing by default I think and so if you want to use it as a guide then setting to rec2020 would be misleading I think…There are a lot of profiles to track under that soft proofing profile tab and the histogram display also changes between showing the whole processing pipe at any given time in the top corner to that representing the input into a specific module when you look there…I am sure there is a good walk through of this somewhere…

A bolded “never” sounds a bit extreme, surely the input profile should be linear Rec. 2020 if the input is effectively in that space (e.g. it’s an OpenEXR file with those primaries in the “chromaticities” attribute)?

The trend around here is to use Rec2020 in place of the camera input matrix when out-of-gamut issues appear. That magically solves nothing but hides problems, and people have taken that bad habit. Sure, if you open rasters, use whatever profile they were saved with.

2 Likes

Personally I would use softproofing as sRGB as that will be my output. Then if you set the histogram profile to REC2020 or working if that is what you use then you will see that histogram when softproofing is off and sRGB histogram when it is turned on…I think that is a good approach

Softproofing as sRGB is a no-operation, it’s simply displaying to sRGB. And gamut alert against sRGB is guaranteed to be meaningless, it’s small, we already know that.

So clearly I don’t understand. If I was trying to use the histogram to edit and I had softproofing set at sRGB and histogram profile to working and my working profile is REC2020. So I edit my photo but now it comes time to export and I am set to output profile of srgb. Would I not want to turn on softproofing to get an idea of the actual histogram of the exported file to see if I was happy with that?? And cerainly there would be gamut clipping but if it was extreme would I not rethink my edit…maybe I just don’t get how all the profiles represent data…So if I am processing to archive as JPG files and perhaps sharing some online what would you set the profiles to ???

The histogram of the exported file is meaningless.

darktable has 5 profiles :

1. input, which usually is the standard matrice if you retouch a raw file,
  2. output, which is either the monitor ICC profile for previews or the file space for export,
  3. histogram, which is used for both the histogram and ill-named “over-exposure” alert,
  4. softproofing, which is used to preview the color appearance of the image printed on some medium (that is not the monitor) and display out-of-gamut alerts.
  5. working color profile, which is used for pixel operations in RGB.

Softproofing is meant only to preview the appearance of the printed image, noticeably when the printed medium has a much smaller dynamic range and gamut volume than the monitor. It is only to assess the quality of the gamut mapping result and black point compensation, and ensure no weird posterization, clipping or other gradients flattening happens.

Gamut alert is meant only to display pixels having a color in the current pipeline which has no target in the destination color space. But LittleCMS2 does gamut mapping, when converting to another space, so these pixels will not necessarily have their color clipped in the destination space, but they will get remapped to another color, chosen with the colorimetric intent. The gamut alert only says that these pixels will change color for the sake of preserving overall gradients in the target space.

So gamut alert ≠ gamut clipping. People really need to stop freaking out with the various misleading alerts presented to them in darktable to feed their anxiety.

As a hack, you can use the gamut alert against a large-gamut RGB space (like Rec2020), defined as your softproofing profile, because that large RGB space will act as an approximation of the visible locus, and it is generally good to ensure that your retouching doesn’t push any pixel outside of the visible range, because then, gamut mapping becomes a lot more difficult at export time.

But anything else is only mumbo-jumbo that looks scientific without having any real meaning.

The only histogram relevant to us would be the histogram of luminance, which will be color-space independent and present true over and under-exposure (unlike the current overexposure alert as of darktable 3.2.1, that got re-written last week in master). But we don’t have one.

RGB histograms in different RGB spaces don’t hold different meanings and I’m not even sure the histogram shows the file after the gamut mapping step. If the picture is over-exposed, you will get the same bump at the right of the histogram, no matter the space. If the picture is over-saturated, it will not necessarily show in the histogram, and anyway the gamut mapping should take care of most of it.

As long as the image looks good in the screen, forget the alerts, histograms, and engineer-style views, and trust your eyes.

I think that ICC color profiles, color spaces and science-y big words have lost people more than they help them. The only relevant question is to assess if you have nice gradients in your image or if some part presents a solid color blob or posterization. Everything else is irrelevant.

5 Likes

Speaking of which, what would you think of overlaying an input histogram on the “look” visualization of Filmic? Could this be useful?

It’s part of the long list of useful things that would need a partial redesign (and resulting non-foreseen bugs) of the pipeline to roughly work.

1 Like

@anon41087856 Thanks for your detailed reply. You are right it is easy to get lost as you watch the histogram and try to figure out what is really happening.

Ok, I didn’t mean to start a technical discussion on gamut mapping vs clipping, so let’s switch off the gamut alert and trust our eyes.
I was replying to @EC1000 observation about increasing saturation in filmic rather than in color balance and I notice a huge difference for deep blues, at least when using “RGB power norm”.

1. no saturation increase

2. saturation +20% in filmic, RGB power norm

3. saturation +20% in filmic, luminance Y

4. saturation +20% in color balance

The blue of the sky is much more intense with saturation in filmic with the default RGB power norm, while with luminance Y the result is more similar to what achieved with color balance.
Why so ? How to choose the best luminance estimator for the given situation ?

The pixel RGB values are broken down to a single value: the norm. You have 4 different norms.

This norm is used to compute the RGB ratios, which are, by designed, preserved in and out, but also as a metric of the “brightness” of the pixel. Depending on that brightness, pixels are resaturated or desaturated.

The explanation here is the “brightness” of the blue sky appears more or less bright depending on the chosen norm, so the sky might end in the resaturated or desaturated part of the curve.

I was one of those pretty much mystified by all the profile settings, gamut checking, etc. Thanks very much for this explanation.

Thank you Aurélien for the explanation, I got this point.
However, even assuming that with RGB power norm the blue sky is set to be entirely in the midtones area, which is resaturated +20%, point is why this +20% resaturation looks stronger than the “same” +20% done in color balance, which acts on the entire luminance range ?
You said earlier that the two saturation algorithms differ and the one in filmic " has nothing to do with actual saturation anymore", but works better for the filmic purposes.
My experience is that is also much stronger than CB, at least for certain colors. I wonder if could shed some light why it is so.

Thanks in advance for your patience

Could it be the default midtone saturation bump in filmic. Within the bounds of the latitude the graph shows as > 100 % What if you set that to zero and compare again…Maybe it is a product of the new way midtone sat is handed in v4

The relevant part in @anon41087856’s answer is

So 100% in “filmic saturation” will be different from 100% in “color balance”, assuming a 20% setting for the one has the same effect as 20% for the other is comparing apples and oranges.

Like with the 18% gray discussion, the actual numbers are not that important, it’s the visual effect that’s important, but the algorithms require numbers… And the numbers can help communication if you want to describe what settings you used.

This comparison comes natural, as in the previous version of Filmic compensation of desaturation induced by tone mapping was done in Color Balance, while now it’s done in Filmic itself.
One tends to believe the new method should be better, but in some specific cases I have shown there are unexpected results, at least in my opinion.
Maybe I have just to lower a smaller saturation% or maybe it is better to change the luminance estimator, I just want to understand which is best