Filmulator "Nightly" Builds: Now for Windows and Linux

I’ll start a new topic for the Mac builds.

1 Like

Thanks again for your work on this wonderful raw converter. From using it and comparing to other raw developers, as well as real life, it seems to me that the color yellow is a bit more orange in filmulator. I have tested it with a Leica M8, Epson R-d1s as well as a Canon m6ii. Is that intentional, or some kind of side effect (or just an issue with my cameras)?

1 Like

It’s a side effect of the way colors get boosted in saturation; there are slight hue shifts such as some yellows towards orange/red.

It is time (more than time!) that I thanked you for this superb software. It is now my standard raw processor, although I have yet to discover all it’s subtleties as it invariably produces excellent results with the default values.

1 Like

I tried to lower saturation and vibrance as low as possible, but the slight orange shift of yellow stayed. I did find a solution though, one I do not really understand, but lowering highlight rollof to a minimum makes the yellow more yellow. You probably already know this but I also discovered that reducing drama also shifts the color to yellow (a better way to put it would be that increasing drama makes yellow shift a bit to orange).

What I meant is that the film simulation itself boosts saturation and causes hue shifts at the same time.

The saturation and vibrance tools at the bottom are unrelated.

1 Like

After not using Filmulator for some time (falling a bit for Darktable filmic v5/v6 and all the modules there) I shot a bunch of shots of my newborn around family. ‘No thinking, just focus and clicking on my small m4/3 camera’ style stuff. So lots of backlight (but at -1ev or more to not overexpose) stuff.

Getting good results with Darktable 3.9, but I had to fight a bit more than I’m used to. I actually was thinking about just using DxO again.

Then ‘remembered’ Filmulator. Loaded the ‘just optical fix’-DNGs into it, few sliders of exposure comp and highlight roll off / vibrancy and I have good results for everything.

I still think it’s a shame that the algorithm is not in other full blown editors, it can be a real life saver sometimes in difficult tonemapping situations :).

2 Likes

appimage fails,
Installing desktop file
/tmp/appimagekit_8f312c28847c440b09bb6577ad1ffdd0_filmulator-gui64.png has nonstandard size w = 64, h = 58; please fix it

@CarVac
Hi, is Filmulator still under on-going development? I don’t see a release later than March '21, which is why I’m asking. I have only just started using it, and I like the results.

I’d be interested to know whether the program is going to continue to get new features, such as the ability to choose the output folder; also, save/copy & paste processing settings, for use at a later time.

Thanks for a good (potentially, great) program. :+1:

@CarVac, the developer, once said he considers Filmulator to be pretty much complete.

Ok, thanks.

It seems a pity, since I think that Filmulator has great potential for development. However, if he considers it finished, then of course, we have to respect that decision.

I think you can always try filing a feature request at Issues · CarVac/filmulator-gui · GitHub. If you can catch the author’s interest with a good proposal, he may implement it.

1 Like

Sorry for the hiatus, I’ve been knee-deep in another open-source project.

As that is approaching feature complete, though, I’m getting back into Filmulator development. Right now, I’m working on implementing per-channel white points for my 1Dx2, then I’m going to get Lensfun file downloading working again.

The main obstacle for releases is the Windows CI, which was broken for quite a while and I hated working with it. I don’t want to abandon Windows users, but I really hate working with Windows the platform…

4 Likes