Filmulator "Nightly" Builds: Now for Windows and Linux

The Windows build should be working now.

1 Like

Actually, it wasn’t for my sister… here’s another attempt…

At the request of my friend I plumbed the Auto CA Correct to enable multiple iterations.

2 Likes

2020-04-30:

You can now try out Filmulator with lens corrections for distortion, CA (most helpful on Fuji X-Trans), and vignetting!

Start the application, go to the Settings tab, update the database, and restart the program.

When using a lens that needs correction, begin editing an image from that lens, select the lens corrections (including Auto Ca Correct and the three profiled corrections) you want applied, make sure the selected lens model in the search box at the top matches the lens you actually used, and click “Remember preferred lens” at the bottom of the lens search box. All future photos shot with that camera and lens combination will default to using those corrections. If you change your mind, you can either clear that preference using “Forget preferred lens” or you can change it and overwrite the preferences by using “Remember preferred lens” again.

1 Like

I got the Windows build working again, finally.

2 Likes

I’ve replaced the heartbeat warning flashing with error icons, because in Windows they were taking too much idle CPU power. I’m not sure if this’ll deal with the reported Mac CPU idle usage, though, because it occurred regardless of whether the heartbeat was visible or not.

1 Like

An old coding pattern I made years ago turned into a performance regression that somehow became more noticeable just recently. I’m not sure why, I don’t think it had to do with different Qt versions.

Anyway, I fixed it.

3 Likes

FYI - Post major Windows update this Tuesday, new windows build processes RX100 raw correctly. However, Android DNG files that process before now are monochrome with moire.

Can you post an example? I will have to check the various different properties to figure out how to distinguish them from real monochrome raws.

Sure - here you go. BTW - The new app won’t run without admin privileges.

20200522_172506.dng (17.7 MB)

Thanks for the report; I fixed that issue (and an issue with displaying the shutter speed for that image).

What do you mean by “won’t run without admin privileges”? Does it request admin permission every time it’s started? Do you need to right click and “run as admin” for it to work?

I ask because that’s never happened in testing on my Windows laptop.

The app runs fine for me now. I’m unsure what the admin privilege thing is. I do have a small 8 gig Ram machine, and I have to exit Chrome to load Filmulator. Regardless, I’m quite happy with your work. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

I fixed a pair of bugs that occurred when you try to load an image that has been moved or gone missing.

It’s gotten to the point where it’s pretty stable, and I’ve added a lot of features, so I’m calling this v0.9.0rc1.

I’ve made two changes: basic CR3 support is now available (limited metadata output, less-functional lens recognition), and the Windows build spawns a terminal window, together with there being some command line output indicating startup progress.

I had an idea to reduce loading times and it seems to work now.

The latest build utilizes the Qt Quick Compiler, which builds the QML files into the executable, to reduce startup time.

On my Windows laptop, it reduced the QML loading time from 3 seconds to 2 seconds. On my sister’s laptop, it reduced it from 10 seconds to 3 seconds.

1 Like

It seems the intermittent slow startup is a longstanding Qt bug: Loading...

What I found is creating a FileDialog the first time takes a huge amount of time on Windows when I have a network drive attached and that network drive is not accessible.

The other thing is that Windows is now having crashes while loading the lensfun database. I need to look again into building the latest version instead of using 0.3.95.

I’d just stay on 0.3.2 for lensfun…that is what every other project seems to be doing.

I fixed a bug causing the thumbnail not to load first in the editor viewport.

As for lensfun, I’m looking into patching 0.3.95 to correct the bug and then compiling it using MSYS2 pacman’s pkgbuild, or just telling it to grab the latest version instead of 0.3.95.

https://sourceforge.net/p/lensfun/bugs/106/?limit=25

Ha, I should have sifted through the post-0.3.95 bug reports…

For me, looks like pulling master for all builds is the way to go. And, static linking, so the executable doesn’t try to use distro versions…

Be aware that the api changed since 0.3.95.