Flowers in the Dining (not Living) Room

I’ve been staring at this plant all day, admiring the patterns and shapes. Then the setting sun came into play:
DSG_9983-small

9 Likes

The red and orange color is fantastic!

1 Like

I probably overdid the curve in this smaller (640w) image, there’s detail in the shadows I actually wanted to crush. Here’s the larger (800w) image, where I toned down the curve (hmm, is that a pun?), and used the blackwhitepoint to black-out the shadow:

This was an interesting image in that the foreground flower was sufficiently separated in tonality from the background that I was able to work it separately with the upper part of the curve, no need for layer masks.

Interesting how much separation you got. I guess the sunlight was coming from behind the camera. At home, the flowers are right in front of the windows so they are back lit.

Actually, they were side-lit relative to the camera; at that particular time, the background was shadowed by other leaves to the left, out of the frame. “Caught in the moment”, implies I had a plan, but I didn’t, I was just there when it happened that way.

The particular colors involved also contributed to the separation, I think. The curve is in the ImageDescription metadata; if you plot it out, you’ll see it’s pretty aggressive on the low end, almost laying flat at the bottom. That just happened to be the domain of the shadows and the dark greens, which make up most of the background. If I get a chance today, I might get a snapshot of the curve processing; it is a good case study of a situation where more than a slight “scooch” is appropriate for curve manipulation,

Thanks for sharing the context. Now, I can picture what is going on with the light :sunny:.

I should really proofread my posting. The title should say, “Flowers in the Dining Room”. There, that changes everything. :smile:

:exploding_head: Mind blown. That changes everything I know about the known universe… of your flowers.

1 Like

A geranium , they are a beautiful and photogenic flower

They would be my all time fave flower if they had a nice perfume :slight_smile: … not the sweetest of smell !

The separation between flower and leaf looks almost 3D

Excellent photo