Fun with lenses

Hi, all,

As some of you already know, I own “a few” lenses. Semi-antique ones, old ones; chiefly manual lenses, which I have adapter’d onto an X-T1.

The other day, I came up with a brilliant idea to try to find out which was the very best one.
Many, many hours later, I came to a wise conclusion: the truth is that almost all of them are Good to Very Good. They just differ a little in this aspect or in that aspect – but technically, nothing that could not be fixed in darktable.

Apart from that, of course I have a favourite – the one used to catch this flowery thing:

Lens: Olympus Zuiko Auto-Macro 50mm/3.5

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

18 Likes

Now, here is another interesting lens :slight_smile:

Lens: Nikon El-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 plus extension tube.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

8 Likes

@Claes It would be interesting to know what lenses were used. The first older lens I bought was a Nikkor-S Auto 50mm f/1.4 Non AI off ebay. This was shot handheld with on-camera flash 1/100sec at f11 or f16(can’t recall, I didn’t know how to change exif data for non-cpu lenses back then.)

This is a 1:1 crop. I remember being “wowed” upon looking at the image 1:1 on the camera body right after I took the shot. BTW, this mushroom is about 8 inches in diameter when looking at it from the top.

3 Likes

@sls141 Ah yes, of course. Thank you.
Lens info added above.

Sometimes the most unexpected objects can be fun to work with.
Take this little twig, for instance, fresh from the garden.

What? How much fun is that?
Well, the fun starts when you get up close:

(click to enlarge)
Lens: Nikon El-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 plus extension tube.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

6 Likes

Actually, you do not have to use a fancy set-up to get nice shots…

(Click to enlarge)

Camera: Panasonic LX3 (which is an old point-and-shoot) plus a Raynox MSN-202 Macro Conversion lens. Model: a daffodil from the garden.

4 Likes

I bought an Olympus adaptor for my Fuji a couple of years ago and have never used it until this week.
My favourite lens was always the 75-150 zoom.
Here are three massively cropped images with the lens.

2 Likes

Hi @ukbanko,

I am glad that you did!
There are many interesting lenses with an OM mount,
for instance those marked “Close Focus”. Vivitar also
had a good range with OM mount.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Yikes!!! The twig has legs!!!

yikes

Sorry about the poor quality. I have not (yet) managed to nail it better :frowning:
Presumably because of a bug in my workflow…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Too fun! I recently got an X-T1 specifically for that purpose. I wanted to be able to use all the sweet vintage glass I had laying around on something other than my film bodies. Ironically, I am now shooting film like a mad woman, but what are ya gonna do? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Simply put: enjoy what you are doing! :slight_smile:
In other words: have fun!

1 Like

Time for a few Easter eggs?

Click twice to enlarge

It sort of resembles an egg hatching machine, where some of the chickens are on the verge of appearing. But it is just the center of a daisy, Bellis perennis, from the lawn.
Rig: a borrowed X-T3, lens Olympus Zuiko 50mm/3.5 plus a Vivitar 2 x macro focusing teleconverter.

Click twice to enlarge

Same flower, same camera body, but lens is now an Industar-61L/Z 50mm/2.8 plus four small extension tubes.

3 Likes

Holy wow, the sharpness is crazy.

Now I believe that I have reached the limit of what is possible with a modest setup.

Gear same as yesterday but with twice the amount of extension tubes.

Here is a shot of the elaborate studio and the studio lighting…
studio

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

is easterEggs3 a crop? looks cool :+1:

Oh yes, @wallie. It is a very small part of the frame.

This morning I got an idea on how to improve, how to become minutely better.
Gear same as yesterday, but with yet another extension tube added.

The model is not Daisy, however. Anyone brave enough to dare to have a guess?
And no, it is not a butterfly flower.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Another thought which I stumbled while thinking about your progress in this thread. If you reverse mount from the extension tubes you should be able to get even more magnification with less tubes. In return you should get even better quality. Or use the same number of tubes + reverse mount and gain insanity levels of magnification. :rofl: While you are at it teleconverters too. Maybe you can hit microscopy :grin:

1 Like

Morning, @blj !

Yes, that would be an interesting route to take (even if I have not trodden it before).
At least one of my lenses would be easy to reverse… Let’s see, where are the coupling
rings, and the DIY focusing helix… … …